Training Pre-Season 2023 (First game 18/3 v North)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like people forgot the game vs Melbourne at Optus in 2021 where we played chip chip for the first half and went down around 40 points. Nearly came back and won it in the second half after playing on at all costs and I remember Cple being the primary driver of the ball movement and taking the game on.

Looks like people forgot the game vs Melbourne at Optus in 2021 where we played chip chip for the first half and went down around 40 points. Nearly came back and won it in the second half after playing on at all costs and I remember Cple being the primary driver of the ball movement and taking the game on.

Lightning delay....who could forget?

Really like this guy’s attitude

I recall him getting torched a couple of times in that game against Geelong because he wasn’t able to keep up with the likes of Dangerfield and Selwood. So he watches tape of that game to learn from it and drive himself to improve

Hopefully we’re in his ear to extend his contract beyond 2023

It would be good to extend him as a rookie meaning we can pay him and claim part of his salary outside the cap and keep open a senior spot.

Let’s wait for Easter and see if he gets the starting gig and shows enough. Then lock him in for another 3 years at a medium salary would make s lot of sense. I can see a salary of $350k with triggers doing it.

It would be good to extend him as a rookie meaning we can pay him and claim part of his salary outside the cap and keep open a senior spot.

Let’s wait for Easter and see if he gets the starting gig and shows enough. Then lock him in for another 3 years at a medium salary would make s lot of sense. I can see a salary of $350k with triggers doing it.
I hope there is an in-principle agreement in place to start discussions once the season is underway. Both him (and his manager) and the club would be expecting big things from 2023, so once that is proven then getting a new contract makes sense for both.

I would say he is close to our #1 priority re-signing this season (that is a little disrespectful to Gov, but tbh he has been on a good wicket for a number of years so there should not be the argy bargy there was last time).

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey guys, I have a friend who works at 7 West Media. Regarding the Mandurah boat crash, I have been told it is one of the parents from one of the draftees from this year that has sadly passed. I don’t want to disclose the name until the media does.

Heartbreaking stuff
Oh that’s terrible news to hear, was shocked to read the initial news as well.

Hey guys, I have a friend who works at 7 West Media. Regarding the Mandurah boat crash, I have been told it is one of the parents from one of the draftees from this year that has sadly passed. I don’t want to disclose the name until the media does.

Heartbreaking stuff
Sad stuff, really hope you're wrong.

Yeah, but he's no JJ though is he.
I've been watching JJ in last year's games. He does have a red hot go and has pace hence they thought it was a good move to put him in the backline as he could provide run. His problem is lack of concentration. Several times he burst into the play and ran on to receive the ball only to fumble and drop it. This resulted in a few easy goals to the opposition. On other occasions he stuffed the kick up resulting in further goals to opposition. He did similar things while forward, but they weren't as costly. I don't think he should be written off, but he needs to get a bit more composure and make the most of his hard work. Cole is much more reliable (GF first quarter stuff ups aside)

Tough day for the club today but there was still open training on. Session was fairly easy-going, began at 9:15 and was all wrapped up by 10:30.
  • Session consisted of some kick to kick, set shots and splitting into line groups for various drills, nothing too strenuous though.
  • Barrass, Foley, Duggan, Cole, Barnett and Dewar trained away from the main group on the opposite oval, running laps, doing some kicking and some agility stuff. All were hitting pretty good pace and didn’t look overly restricted.
  • Foley was doing rehab work prior to the Christmas break. Had been training fully since coming back though and I thought he was fine, but clearly something is still going on. Looked like he was moving well today.
  • Barrass wasn’t wearing that protective cast on his wrist today for the first time since coming back from the Christmas break
  • Oscar did the warmup separate to the main group, looked a little ginger and then didn’t see him for the rest of the session. Not sure if it’s anything to worry about.
  • Nic Nat did a couple of things with the main group but took it pretty easy overall.
  • Jake Waterman trained fully and without any strapping on his knee. His brother Alec was on track as well
  • No Rhett Bazzo or Campbell Chesser (his housemate) for obvious reasons. Everyone else trained today.
  • They briefly split into line groups for about 15 minutes of the session, I saw Jones and Shuey training with the backs, Winder and SPS were with the forwards while Coby Burgiel spent some time with the mids.
  • Josh Rotham is a very nice kick. Really hope he gets his mojo back this year.

wash your mouth out with soap.

Cole has more talent in his pinkie than nelson ever did.

Meh, Cole is average.

Nothing against him, but he's just a bog standard defender who doesn't really excel at anything.

Doesn't have the footskills of a Jetta, the marking ability of a Sheppard, the midfield ability of a Yeo etc etc etc

Meh, Cole is average.

Nothing against him, but he's just a bog standard defender who doesn't really excel at anything.

Doesn't have the footskills of a Jetta, the marking ability of a Sheppard, the midfield ability of a Yeo etc etc etc
still better than nelson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"West Coast started the week with a short and sharp one-hour session at Mineral Resources Park.

Here is what we saw on the track.

Cast Off This time last year West Coast was overwhelmed with injuries that crippled their season. But in a good sign at Mineral Resources Park on Monday, reigning club champion Tom Barrass was no longer sporting a cast on his right hand. Barrass was still on light duties and tried to mark the ball with his left when he needed to. He is expected to rejoin the main group in the next few weeks.

Fellow defender Tom Cole was also showing improvement after tweaking his troublesome ankle last week, having no trouble sprinting on the opposite oval to his teammates. Liam Duggan looked good as he put in some hard, repeat efforts and started to do light ball work with the rehab group. But there were concerns for draftee Harry Barnett, who looked to have injured his left ankle late in the session and had to go off to get it treated and strapped.

Fylin’ By Name, Flyin’ By Nature West Coast’s forwards were put to the test with some high marking and as expected, Liam Ryan was right at home. The forward pocket launched into a series of hangers over a coach with a bag on his back, taking some spectacular grabs. Ryan is looking as fit as he ever has and appears likely to add more highlights to his extensive reel when the season gets started.

Fringe ruckman Bailey Williams was also impressive with his vertical leap, taking a big hanger on the top of the bag. Ruck Competition Williams might be flying high but there are youngsters breathing down his neck to partner Nic Naitanui in the ruck this season. After 17 games last season, Williams looks to be the favourite, but Callum Jamieson is looking bigger, stronger and more confident.

Second-year forward Jack Williams has also spent time working alongside the ruckmen as he tries to add another dimension to his game to break into the best 22. Naitanui, 32, has no clear successor, so it’s up to these three to break through and show who is ready to take the mantle

Ironically i'll be flying out to Thailand on my honeymoon in the early hours of the 18th. I'll be sure to try and find an aussie bar or something to see some of the game at least. One of the last times I flew out of Perth on a trip was the Gaff/Brayshaw Derby game, not quite sure this game will provide as many fireworks.

Tom Cole is a good solid citizen he's not as turnover prone as Nelson was, yet he will never be a star but he will always give a decent effort. He's your typical player number 22 on the field.

Fylin’ By Name, Flyin’ By Nature West Coast’s forwards were put to the test with some high marking and as expected, Liam Ryan was right at home. The forward pocket launched into a series of hangers over a coach with a bag on his back, taking some spectacular grabs. Ryan is looking as fit as he ever has and appears likely to add more highlights to his extensive reel when the season gets started...

Fylin' Ryan. Gets the fans excited over at the BigSecretary forums.

Fylin' Ryan. Gets the fans excited over at the BigSecretary forums.

Really feel like this guy's gonna put his stamp on things in 2023.

Really feel like this guy's gonna put his stamp on things in 2023.

A few people have been calling him manilla though, hopefully he can scale the iron mountain.

There's no doubt Ryan is a staple of our forward line going into 2023. I wouldn't ruler him out for a crack at the Coleman.

He can be a bit of a divider of the fan base, but he'll definitely punch a hole in a few defences at least.

There's no doubt Ryan is a staple of our forward line going into 2023. I wouldn't ruler him out for a crack at the Coleman.
If he is great form teams will be using one of these

OIP.-kVJe0RbMn-zsnWRZIOdxwHaIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back