Autopsy Should have Could have - but didn't. Down by 2 against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, would be good to have 2 small forwards to add to the pressure.

If it came to it, I’d prefer to have the sub as a tall if it meant we could have a smaller forward line (if we were worried about only having two players that can ruck).

Sheldrick in to play that role. Wouldn’t even worry about a second ruck

Buddy still takes the best defender every week and our 2nd and 3rd talls are so bad that it would be comedic seeing Mcdonald getting obliterated every week. Remember our 2nd best tall is probably Reid and if that doesn't scare you nothing will.
To state that McDonald and Armatey are “so bad” and that it’d be “comedic” watching McDonald get “obliterated” is entirely unfair and unreasonable.

They are very good (and improving) AFL standard players who kicked 9 goals between them a couple of weeks ago.

But when a leading forward never has his leads honoured because the ball is kicked to Buddy every time - there’s not a lot the leading forward can do.

And Buddy tonight had Aliir - who is usually an intercepting defender. Not a KPD. He gave Buddy an absolute bath.

It is fantasy to cling to the belief that we don’t have a Buddy problem.

Its a tough spot, to drop the absolute legend that is Bud. But honestly I think it needs to happen, make him remember you don't just walk into the team each week, regardless of how incredible a player you've been.
Make him remember ? So you seriously think Buddy needs to be reminded that no one player is an automatic selection ? You think he is strutting around at the moment thinking I’m sweet I’m Buddy Franklin ! He would be like every player who has suffered this fate. Lacking confidence, not knowing what’s happening with his body not allowing him to do what he knew he was once capable and knowing the selfless superstar he once was feeling gutted that he is letting his mates down. I don’t think he needs reminding and if him being dropped was played out as a wake up call it would make not one ounce of difference. Possibly a top 5 goat player is shot to pieces.

Last edited:
When Bud was suspended our whole forwardline functioned a million times better. Everyone will say “oh but it’s only Hawthorn”…it’s not the side it’s how it functions. Mids lowering their eyes, kicking through rather than bombing it because well Bud is there.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

We may be 1 or 2 short of having an elite group kicking wise in the middle, but we have enough good kicks in the midfield to hit our targets more often than not when mids lower their eyes. What it needs though is the collective forward group to get off their butts and get on their bikes (we always felt a step or two behind tonight) and to create space for each other. They are athletic enough and good enough to do it - but its not happening at the moment.

The good - Chad warner. Superstar he is, our point of difference that game. Dane Rampe. Brilliant, he could only do so much with both McCartins but he can hold his head up high, was very good in the contest. I thought our 3rd term was good. We seemed to front up to their pressure and convert our chances well.

The bad - These constant surges we give up of clearances, contested possessions, inside 50s and conceding goals in minutes. Same as last year, needs to be fixed ASAP, or that's top 4 or even 8 goodbye. Having periods throughout the game not being tough enough around the ball.

The Ugly - Florent not being able to kick 40 metres and no one blocking on the line to let it roll through. Had a good game though, heartbreaker of a finish.

+22 Inside 50s. Don't need to explain anything else really. Buddy is literally a liability.

Heartbreaking but we move on. I feel so bad for Ollie. One of our best players tonight and showed plenty of composure.
Mills made the biggest mistake leaving the goal line to celebrate the goal that wasnt and letting Alir walk into that space and get his hand on it.

We just didn't give our forwards a chance. Squandered a +22 advantage in the inside 50s. Credit to Port though they didn't give up.

Gutted for Ollie, the kick was on target but it looked like it died towards the end because of the wind. Tough shot on last quarter legs, he had a huge game as did Warner.

He did Baulk as he shaped to handball but didn’t. You’re missing the point completely. Doesn’t matter about the incorrect call it’s on Ladham’s for getting pinged last game and repeating the action. Two steps back puts the defender out of reach. He then did it again in the next play. Defend him all you want but it’s completely on him to learn from his errors.
That’s the rule this year, they have been hot on it all year. Don’t love the interpretation but it’s consistent
"Shaped to handball".... did he go off his line? Nope. Did he jump or twist or step? Nope. Did he do anything at all that would be deemed to be executing a hamdball? Nope. Not to me... he moved the ball from one hand to the other... The umpire got excited & bmew the whistle (a clear mistake by an umpire who is clearly under trained, too easily emotionally manipulated etc etc).

That's it.

In my opinion (& obviously you disagree) but he simply changed hands & the umpire was overly excited... This happens because the umpire is under trained, under paid, under scrutinised. His calling was putrid all night (both ways) - The port supporters I watched with all agreed. Just a terrible night for him.... yet he'll get no attention, no repurcusions, nothing. Bud gets dragged under the bus & told to quit & he's s**t yet the umpire who had an absolute shocker just goes about his business without a care... We need an independant third party who review, employ & manage the umpires. The AFL are all too happy to keep the umpires in house, paying them nothing as part time contractors & not gaving anyone question the quality or consistency of them... More money is their only focus. Stuff the quality or growth of the game... They want to "grow" the money... not "the game".

Make him remember ? So you seriously think Buddy needs to be reminded that no one player is an automatic selection ? You think he is strutting around at the moment thinking I’m sweet I’m Buddy Franklin ! He would be like every player who has suffered this fate. Lacking confidence, not knowing what’s happening with his body not allowing him to do what he knew he was once capable and knowing the selfless superstar he once was feeling gutted that he is letting his mates down. I don’t think he needs reminding and if him being dropped was played out as a wake up call it would make not one ounce of difference. Possibly a top 5 goat player is shot to pieces.
Yeah agree, can’t fault him for lack of effort or selfishness (I was actually annoyed when he handballed off in the goal square in third, when I thought he was in the better position).

When he missed in the third, you could see the lack of confidence. He didn’t get upset with himself, he didn’t have bravado like it didn’t matter, he just looked subdued while trying to keep his head up, but you could almost feel the doubts going through his head.

I hope the club gets around him no matter what decision is made for next week.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

We may be 1 or 2 short of having an elite group kicking wise in the middle, but we have enough good kicks in the midfield to hit our targets more often than not when mids lower their eyes. What it needs though is the collective forward group to get off their butts and get on their bikes (we always felt a step or two behind tonight) and to create space for each other. They are athletic enough and good enough to do it - but its not happening at the moment.

Also requires mids to nit bomb it to 4 on 1’s. If there’s 2 or 3 on a player use your brain there’s 2 spare somewhere else and we did the same thing last week bombing it to May and Lever all day long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone that attended the game, BloodRet might be able to give some observation but did our forward structure look poor or was the entries into the fwd 50 poor? (ignoring obvious leads, targets etc)?

I sit high in the Brewongle, behind our bench. Have a really good view of both F50s.

There were many times where our forwards got separation. And there were almost as many times where the delivery inside 50 was putrid - either it was off target or it took too long for the kicker to spot the open forward where a spoiling fist ruined our party. Kicking to advantage was non existent. And the long bombs....God spare me days

That's what I saw.

Last edited:
Yep we need another small forward and I suspect the club knows it considering they drafted Konstanty last year. Probably given up on Wicks and Clarke is probably a stop gap but capable
At least with Clarke we know he will bring heat in terms of pressure without the ball - I had hoped Cunningham could play that role off a decent start to the season, but has been in our worst few last fortnight.

"Shaped to handball".... did he go off his line? Nope. Did he jump or twist or step? Nope. Did he do anything at all that would be deemed to be executing a hamdball? Nope. Not to me... he moved the ball from one hand to the other... The umpire got excited & bmew the whistle (a clear mistake by an umpire who is clearly under trained, too easily emotionally manipulated etc etc).

That's it.

In my opinion (& obviously you disagree) but he simply changed hands & the umpire was overly excited... This happens because the umpire is under trained, under paid, under scrutinised. His calling was putrid all night (both ways) - The port supporters I watched with all agreed. Just a terrible night for him.... yet he'll get no attention, no repurcusions, nothing. Bud gets dragged under the bus & told to quit & he's s**t yet the umpire who had an absolute shocker just goes about his business without a care... We need an independant third party who review, employ & manage the umpires. The AFL are all too happy to keep the umpires in house, paying them nothing as part time contractors & not gaving anyone question the quality or consistency of them... More money is their only focus. Stuff the quality or growth of the game... They want to "grow" the money... not "the game".

I’m okay with it being called so long as it’s consistent and they seem to be fairly consistent this season with this. Do I love the rule not particularly but Ladhams needs to be smarter he did the same last week you think he’d learn

Mills made the biggest mistake leaving the goal line to celebrate the goal that wasnt and letting Alir walk into that space and get his hand on it.

I’d blame the silly mids letting a clearance when we were up late in the game and then letting Finlayson of all people just stand there and mark it. Buck stops with the midfield who were utterly trounced

Way too early to make that call at this stage...
Given he's been forced out of the game once already I would suggest its not too early.

The poor bloke looked like he got hit by a truck today from incidental contact at most. That's not a great sign. The afl, swans and paddy really need to look at his long term health now

Also requires mids to nit bomb it to 4 on 1’s. If there’s 2 or 3 on a player use your brain there’s 2 spare somewhere else and we did the same thing last week bombing it to May and Lever all day long.
Yep - good KPDs around the comp must clap their hands with glee when they see we are next on the list for the likely field day they are about to have.

To make it even worse, when we do bomb long to the 4 on 1, we usually take an age to do it too. I know sometimes you have to go back and think about options - but I'd love to see a lot of others players take the first option more often - i.e. spot a lead, try and hit it - or say nothing is on I'm going to go long. At least then there is a chance of it only being an unsettled 2 on 1 or something - not giving every defender in the nearest 50 metres time to get back.

We can move it very effectively quickly from our back line into the midfield, but if we get a mark around the half forward, we end up in a time-space continuum and take forever for the next kick more often than not.

They need to get their eyes down, spot a lead, or bomb it quickly. Don't look around for 4 hours, not spot any leads and then bomb it. At least if it is coming in quickly, the 48,000 midfielders will not always had a chance to get down there as well to block the spaces, and there is a chance at the fall of the ball if it gets that far.

Given he's been forced out of the game once already I would suggest its not too early.

The poor bloke looked like he got hit by a truck today from incidental contact at most. That's not a great sign. The afl, swans and paddy really need to look at his long term health now

Safely say he’s not plying for a few weeks at best. Let’s hope he recovers because we don’t have many options there

A lot of complaining about bombing the ball into f50.. Did anyone notice just how many players port had in defence? When most of the team is in defensive 50, theres not many holes to lead too
this is a cop out.

when we moved it fast there was space everywhere. When we go slow their key positions or rucks out marked us. We couldn’t even get it to ground.

bombing is fine if you can get it to ground. Our forwards couldn’t manage that all night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back