News Swans Talk in the Media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddie Betts saying (of the booing) on 360 “if Buddy thinks it’s racist then it’s racism”.

Jordan Lewis disagrees - saying it’s all blown out of proportion and it was a reaction to the agro on field, nothing to do with racism.

I agree with Lewis.

Edit: and I agree with him even more when he said the Van Rooyen suspension isn’t reasonable.

Eddie Betts saying (of the booing) on 360 “if Buddy thinks it’s racist then it’s racism”.

Jordan Lewis disagrees - saying it’s all blown out of proportion and it was a reaction to the agro on field, nothing to do with racism.

I agree with Lewis.

Edit: and I agree with him even more when he said the Van Rooyen suspension isn’t reasonable.
If it was because of the on field agro then shouldn’t all Swans players have been booed.

I agree with Lewis.

Not your place to say

Don't bother listening to "gettable" based on the episode title promising a discussion of "swans targets"

In a 35min show the literally spend 30 seconds saying the Swans shouldnt target Crouch, Fyfe or Dunstan in response to a mailbag question, and are looking at talls.

Literally 30 seconds.
Thank you. You just saved me 35 minutes of listening to garbage

I'm inherently opposed to booing. I just don't like the idea of booing someone for doing their job, no matter who they are or what they've done. However Buddy has played to his antagonistic tendencies for most of his career and even lapped up the attention it's given him, so I doubt he has all of a sudden become precious about how he's received now.

Non-story IMO.

I'm inherently opposed to booing. I just don't like the idea of booing someone for doing their job, no matter who they are or what they've done. However Buddy has played to his antagonistic tendencies for most of his career and even lapped up the attention it's given him, so I doubt he has all of a sudden become precious about how he's received now.

Non-story IMO.
I boo umpires all the time. I see it as part of the fun of attending a game & certainly a better outlet for frustration than hurling vile abuse.

I don’t really like the Swans’ trying to take the moral “high ground” by telling fans they can’t boo. I know it’s sensitive in the wake of the Goodes situation (which was different) - but looking for something sinister where it doesn’t exist is counter-productive.

Last edited:
David King with the most stunning of whacks our way. Not sure I've ever been so amped hearing us get torn to shreds by a media personality before but IMO it was completely deserved. (Starts at about the 5:30 mark.)

Really reiterates what a lot it us have been saying, our mids just aren't working properly

Non-story IMO.

Same here on the booing. There are some teams in some sports where booing the opposition comes miles ahead of supporting your own. The worst I've come across are Croatian Handball fans - like a library when they have the ball, complete circus without it

Not sure if this has been posted as it a few days old but Mark Robinson THE TACKLE, sums it up well.

SYDNEY IS ON THE NOSE

"They went in with plans on Sunday. One was to get in the face of Nick Daicos, which kind of worked, and another plan was to try to control the ball via foot and hands. They took 120 uncontested marks to Collingwood’s 63 and uncontested possessions were 294-195.

"It worked for three quarters, but they were overrun. Who isn’t overrun by the Magpies? Still, there are some serious issues at the Swans.

"They have lost five of their past six matches, remembering that their first two wins came against Gold Coast and Hawthorn. Since round two, they are 13th for points scored and 16th for points conceded, although injuries to defenders has played a role there, and they are a bottom-six team in points from turnover and stoppage differential.

"It all sounds a bit technical, so we’ll explain it the old fashioned way: they are not a good team.

"Inconsistency from their two X-factor forwards, Tom Papley and Isaac Heeney, is stark. Papley has kicked 12 goals in his five matches, but six of those goals came against Richmond in round five. Heeney is tantalising and an All-Australian, and he’s playing without impact. He’s had 21 shots at goal for 7.7 and seven shots didn’t score.

"This is not the grand final team of last year. This is a team in 11th spot on the ladder, equal in wins with Fremantle, which has been heavily criticised for its season."

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How’s the Ticky009 vs robbieando “Fight for Fox” going?

I’m currently leading the Lloyd auction - but every bid I’ve posted for Gus promptly gets beaten….

I reckon it's Mrs. DQ, trying to keep the portrait out of your hands. She's already fed up with your attention being divided between her & Sheldrick.

David King with the most stunning of whacks our way. Not sure I've ever been so amped hearing us get torn to shreds by a media personality before but IMO it was completely deserved. (Starts at about the 5:30 mark.)

100% spot on.
Hickey was covering for a lot of our smaller midfielders by winning a fair amount of clearances after the ruck contest.
They've been found out without him & Reid there.

Brenton Sanderson was great to listen to this morning with Whaterley . it wasn't like Slobbo or that rat King , it was about the way we structured up against the Filth. Good listen.

It is hard to take issue with the heavy criticism of our mids - although he should have added that we would still be on 5 wins were it not for some diabolical misses and wasted inside 50s.

In any case it only reinforces my point that this is not a coaching issue for the most part.

Nice old whack from Richard Colless for McGuire;

Few takeaways;

One of football’s most respected off-field figures, Richard Colless, has slammed Eddie McGuire over “garbage” and “offensive” claims Sydney rorted the salary cap to poach superstar Lance Franklin.

Colless, who stood up to McGuire over his Adam Goodes “King Kong” gaffe in 2013, said the former Collingwood president was “a bully” who “has form” with his commentary around Sydney’s indigenous champions.

Colless said McGuire demonstrated a lack of understanding around the “economic realities” of the property market in Sydney and the way the COLA money was distributed to every Swans’ player on a pro rata basis.
“He (McGuire) said he was supportive of it (COLA for younger players) but where he had an issue was all the cleaners and housemaids that ‘Buddy’ Franklin had,” Colless told the Herald Sun.
“I find that absolutely offensive and it has got a strangely familiar ring to the ‘Goodesy’ comments.

“So, a lot of people are absolutely sick of Eddie’s self-serving approach, and I’m sick of defending him up here.
“He’s got form, talking about our indigenous players. He’s got form using the term rort.

“But he’s also got form because he is a bully. He says he won’t accept rubbish. I have had a gut full. I won’t accept his rubbish.”

Colless was adamant the AFL should never have scrapped COLA and said player managers were reluctant to move their players to Sydney where house prices are 30 per cent more expensive than Melbourne, based on latest figures.

“I’m yet to find anyone that disputes the fact that the cost of living is much greater in Sydney. It is empirical data,” Colless said.

And on the need to sort out the game in NSW.

Colless said the AFL had to act and launch a major review into the game in New South Wales to increase participation, young talent and crowds.

“The game is effectively moribund (doomed) in the western suburbs of Sydney, and David Matthews said the NRL was stronger now (in NSW) than when he arrived,” he said.

“The AFL has to do a major review, not just band aids. Not just saying we will sharpen up Auskick, or we will pay greater attention to fixturing.

“We need to look at where the game needs to be in 25 years’ time.”

Onya Richard.

PS
McGuire is reported to want to cut out 'taunting' as happened with Daicos on the weekend.
He apparently showed a number of instances from this season.
Strangely no examples using Collingwood players doing the taunting was included.
Twitter was happy to oblige with clips.

Last edited:
Nice old whack from Richard Colless for McGuire;

Few takeaways;

One of football’s most respected off-field figures, Richard Colless, has slammed Eddie McGuire over “garbage” and “offensive” claims Sydney rorted the salary cap to poach superstar Lance Franklin.

Colless, who stood up to McGuire over his Adam Goodes “King Kong” gaffe in 2013, said the former Collingwood president was “a bully” who “has form” with his commentary around Sydney’s indigenous champions.

Colless said McGuire demonstrated a lack of understanding around the “economic realities” of the property market in Sydney and the way the COLA money was distributed to every Swans’ player on a pro rata basis.
“He (McGuire) said he was supportive of it (COLA for younger players) but where he had an issue was all the cleaners and housemaids that ‘Buddy’ Franklin had,” Colless told the Herald Sun.
“I find that absolutely offensive and it has got a strangely familiar ring to the ‘Goodesy’ comments.

“So, a lot of people are absolutely sick of Eddie’s self-serving approach, and I’m sick of defending him up here.
“He’s got form, talking about our indigenous players. He’s got form using the term rort.

And on the need to sort out the game in NSW.

Colless said the AFL had to act and launch a major review into the game in New South Wales to increase participation, young talent and crowds.

“The game is effectively moribund (doomed) in the western suburbs of Sydney, and David Matthews said the NRL was stronger now (in NSW) than when he arrived,” he said.

“The AFL has to do a major review, not just band aids. Not just saying we will sharpen up Auskick, or we will pay greater attention to fixturing.

“We need to look at where the game needs to be in 25 years’ time.”

“But he’s also got form because he is a bully. He says he won’t accept rubbish. I have had a gut full. I won’t accept his rubbish.”

Colless was adamant the AFL should never have scrapped COLA and said player managers were reluctant to move their players to Sydney where house prices are 30 per cent more expensive than Melbourne, based on latest figures.

“I’m yet to find anyone that disputes the fact that the cost of living is much greater in Sydney. It is empirical data,” Colless said.

Onya Richard.
There is only one Richard in that story and it is not Colless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back