Kane Cornes doesnt think Trent Cotchin can kick 25 goals in 2023.

Will Cotchin kick 25+ goals in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How's this wager tracking?

Bit 'meh' from the fireman, betting something he probably does weekly, just in dress up. It's hardly Ted Whitten walking Rundle Mall in SA guernsey.

Bit more skin in the game, such as Kane leaving broadcast media forever should he lose, and I reckon we could get a #CotchinToFullForward crowd movement going. Reckon a few of the other coaches might get on board too!

How's this wager tracking?

Bit 'meh' from the fireman, betting something he probably does weekly, just in dress up. It's hardly Ted Whitten walking Rundle Mall in SA guernsey.

Bit more skin in the game, such as Kane leaving broadcast media forever should he lose, and I reckon we could get a #CotchinToFullForward crowd movement going. Reckon a few of the other coaches might get on board too!
He hasn't played anywhere near the minutes forward that people were speculating about pre session so it's kinda moot

Next he’ll predict my fat 50 year arse won’t get drafted next year.
To be fair he was only responding to all the pre-season, kool aid drinking, bandwagoning T16ER flogs saying 2023 was their year and Trent would lead the way with a Coleman medal.

The silly clowns still don’t even realize that it’s all over and has been for some time.

It is a valid non-trolling question about why Richmond's veterans seem to hit the wall while others are flourishing around the comp?

Shane Edwards limped to 300 games and Cotchin (33) and Grimes (31) seem completely finished. Riewoldt is defying this a little bit with Lynch out.

Elsewhere, Pendlebury (35) and Sidebottom (32) were instrumental yesterday, Dangerfield (33) is equal fifth in the AFLCA votes and Hawkins (34) was AA captain last year.

It is a valid non-trolling question about why Richmond's veterans seem to hit the wall while others are flourishing around the comp?

Shane Edwards limped to 300 games and Cotchin (33) and Grimes (31) seem completely finished. Riewoldt is defying this a little bit with Lynch out.

Elsewhere, Pendlebury (35) and Sidebottom (32) were instrumental yesterday, Dangerfield (33) is equal fifth in the AFLCA votes and Hawkins (34) was AA captain last year.

Edwards did drop off quickly, which I think surprised a lot of people.

Cotchin has been a crash and bash midfielder since at least 2017. By my count there are only six players still active who debuted before him (Buddy, Hurn, Pendlebury, Hawkins, Riewoldt and Boak), and hundreds who debuted after him and have been years retired. Buddy is certainly in his last season. Hawkins first three rounds were questionable (yes, I know foot surgery blah blah blah) and Dangerfield was middling at best in Geelong's three losses to start the season. Hurn was handed a one-year contract and will likely retire at the end of the season.

Grimes had hamstring issues early in his career and then required hamstring surgery last year. He was being managed in training as recently as February.

Reality is you didn't look that hard cherry-picking four players from two clubs who are winning atm. If you'd just looked a little harder I'm sure you'd have found some other veterans not going that great that might have made you think that it's nothing to do with Richmond, Collingwood or Geelong and maybe a lot to do with age and genetics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riewoldt is actually looking the best he has in a couple of years though

Not sure it's a big enough sample size tbh, some older players flourish, some don't, it's more to do with the individual make up than anything the club does IMO. Riewoldt has 13 goals from 5 games this year, over 22 games that'd be 57 goals, hardly hitting the wall.

Cotchin has gone on a year too long, many saw it at the end of last year, and I think the club knows this too, but didn't want to lose too much leadership in one hit given we've lost Edwards, Astbury, Houli, Caddy in recent years. They're also desperate to get him to 300 games.

Grimes has made some glaring errors, and has lost a yard of pace. Completely finished is a harsh call though, out of form is a fairer assessment. I think he's suffering a bit with a lot of his teammates out of form or unavailable too. Balta has been up and down, Vlastuin is well, well below his recent years, Broad has barely played due to suspension, Gibcus and Tarrant haven't played due to injury. Short has only played a couple of games. He's probably suffering a bit in a bit of a new look, disjointed backline.

I mean, I doubt Richmond are doing anything drastically different to 17 other clubs in terms of managing older players. There's probably nothing ground breaking here, some things happen just by chance.

Lucky we get to play Geelong Atleast once a year ….

Notice how none of the Richmond fans are talking about the fact that Cotchin still isn't on track to kick 25 goals in a season, which was Cornes main point. One random game does not make a season, especially when I think he has only kicked goals in 2 games this year.

Notice how none of the Richmond fans are talking about the fact that Cotchin still isn't on track to kick 25 goals in a season, which was Cornes main point. One random game does not make a season, especially when I think he has only kicked goals in 2 games this year.
Cornes set the goal though.
No one at Richmond stated he would do this.
All Hardwick said was he’d play more time forward this year.

Kane took it to the extreme and the great unwashed again assumed it as fact.

Cornes set the goal though.
No one at Richmond stated he would do this.
All Hardwick said was he’d play more time forward this year.

Kane took it to the extreme and the great unwashed again assumed it as fact.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to put a number on it. So if Cotchin can only average lets say a goal a game or less spending more time up forward it is worth discussing whether having Cotchin in the forward line at all is worth it or not since lets say 20 goals in a season is not a lot for a forward.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to put a number on it. So if Cotchin can only average lets say a goal a game or less spending more time up forward it is worth discussing whether having Cotchin in the forward line at all is worth it or not since lets say 20 goals in a season is not a lot for a forward.
It all depends if you watch Richmond games intently or just rely on Cornes simplistic stat to make your judgement of him.

You sound like the latter.

He’s hasn’t been playing that small forward role all season.

And if he spends as much time forward as last night and plays that way he will be an AA FP with 45 goals for the year.

Back