Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 14 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I will double down after a win. Gut the board, Gut the footy department, Gut the assistant coaches. Gut the list (10+ changes in 1 offseason). Keep the coach and CEO if he is up for it. Turbo charge reform to everything we have not changed signficantly to create a successful era. Don't get sucked in by a few wins at the end of the season. I wil take notice and credit a game plan shift if we go unbeaten and knock off Port Adelaide and even then I still want radical change in the interest of success
This implies radical change, i.e. gutting everything, will bring success but the current path, with adjustments along the way, wonā€™t. Canā€™t say I agree.

I will double down after a win. Gut the board, Gut the footy department, Gut the assistant coaches. Gut the list (10+ changes in 1 offseason). Keep the coach and CEO if he is up for it. Turbo charge reform to everything we have not changed signficantly to create a successful era. Don't get sucked in by a few wins at the end of the season. I wil take notice and credit a game plan shift if we go unbeaten and knock off Port Adelaide and even then I still want radical change in the interest of success
I can see where you are coming from in that many on here will get sucked into a few ins at the back end of the season to think everything is ticking along fine but gutting the place is not required. We already did that a few years ago and you can't keep doing that... look at the successful clubs.

One or two big statements is more the way to go. Trading Cripps would shake the place up without having to start all over again and get us some good draft capital.

Wow, you must be the life of the party. Do you do kids parties......asking for a mate.

So I'm a bit torn about his win. That was the most flat I've seen the Suns for a long time... they got the bye bug hard. Not only did they not get off the plane, I'm not sure they ever even got on the plane.

Even then, it still took us a qtr or so to realise they weren't up to it and actually put the foot down. A little slow at reacting to that and not really showing much killer instinct if I'm being harsh. However, having said that, once we did notice and make a push we really did. Those centre clearance goals were just dominant, it looked like men against boys for a while there.

Cez looked good, I like Cincotta, TDK was up. I'd still love to see Charlie deeper inside 50 than H - like last yr and the first month or so this yr - but they seem to be sticking with this plan.

We were dominant at times, but we were dominant against a wet handkerchief. So I'm not quite sure how much to take out of this win. I'll take the win for sure and enjoy it, but I can't really get that excited about it as that was not an "up" team we were playing.

Not for this thread Michael.

A good win, pleased for the team, the coach and the supporters

I really liked Kemp out of the back line

Cerra and Walshā€™s run in the middle

And what appeared to be a slightly improved delivery into the forward line (less bombs to a contest, a lot of the kicks were to contests but I felt the kicks werenā€™t on their heads, the key forward was running into the contest rather than grappling under the ball)

Oh and kicking goals always helps

I donā€™t think too many teams will let us win clearances like that but sometimes the ball bounces your way
Importantly our mids looked to be on the move and able to take advantage of it

I also felt Crippa/Kennedy were willing to give it off instinctively to runners rather then them trying to be superman and win the contest and also get the inside 50 which hasnā€™t been working

Da da da da - I wanna see more of that

I really believe things are never as good - or as bad - as they seem in the AFL world.

The media coverage is SO reactionary and loves clickbait headlines. Teams that win 10 straight are deemed unbeatable. The team that wins the flag is inevitably the next "dynasty" and does EVERYTHING right as a club. And teams that lose 6-8 straight need to change every aspect of the club, coaching and list. None of which is actually true or stands up to detailed analysis. A team that's "off" by 10% will lose every week, but they're still only 10% off, not 100%.

We have been s**t this year. We've disappointed and under-performed. But we're not NOTHING. Our list is not garbage. It's amazing what a difference a few tweaks and changes can make. Now, to be fair, I think Gold Coast would have lost to almost anyone the way they failed to show up. But we DID look a lot slicker and faster and move aggressive than we had in months. It wasn't a whole new playing list out there, but it almost looked like one.

We're not making finals. But we'll win some more games. And we DO need to strengthen our coaching and change up our list. But not junk it all, as it is not all hopeless.

George can play, as evidenced by his form last year, he just hasnā€™t been the same since round 1 & the hand injury (where he was quite good also).

Weā€™re certainly stacking the VFL with L/T contracted players.
Young 2026
Fisher 2025
Hewett 2025
Motlop 2025

Young 2026 - needs to work on some things, but has AFL capabilities. Will be back.
Motlop 2025 - young, learning, developing, future is bright. Will benefit from playing ressies.
Fisher 2025 - jury is out
Hewett 2025 - might end up being no more than solid depth as he is clearly behind Cripps and Kennedy, for mine, in the slow midfielder who doesn't do anything else role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really believe things are never as good - or as bad - as they seem in the AFL world.

The media coverage is SO reactionary and loves clickbait headlines. Teams that win 10 straight are deemed unbeatable. The team that wins the flag is inevitably the next "dynasty" and does EVERYTHING right as a club. And teams that lose 6-8 straight need to change every aspect of the club, coaching and list. None of which is actually true or stands up to detailed analysis. A team that's "off" by 10% will lose every week, but they're still only 10% off, not 100%.

We have been s**t this year. We've disappointed and under-performed. But we're not NOTHING. Our list is not garbage. It's amazing what a difference a few tweaks and changes can make. Now, to be fair, I think Gold Coast would have lost to almost anyone the way they failed to show up. But we DID look a lot slicker and faster and move aggressive than we had in months. It wasn't a whole new playing list out there, but it almost looked like one.

We're not making finals. But we'll win some more games. And we DO need to strengthen our coaching and change up our list. But not junk it all, as it is not all hopeless.

George can play, as evidenced by his form last year, he just hasnā€™t been the same since round 1 & the hand injury (where he was quite good also).

Weā€™re certainly stacking the VFL with L/T contracted players.
Young 2026
Fisher 2025
Hewett 2025
Motlop 2025
George is a good big bodied inside mid, but you only need 2 of these.
Have we played any other games this year without both Ed and George?

Half backs playing higher, multiple handball options either side. Bailey Humphrey for them is a playa. Balanced mix of short and long entries bamboozled the suns defence. Docs repeat efforts propelled us forward, (canā€™t love this bloke any harder) quarter chock full of one preventers and fierce tackling. More updates incoming.

I liked the backline mix and Newman provided stability down back. Without Young we seemed to be more attacking but Boyd, Kemp, Gov, Cincotta are all good alternatives to just Saad coming out of the backline

Cunners, Martin and Fogarty as additions in the last few weeks

I have been a big fan of Cuningham but been disappointed with Martin and not really seen what Fogarty brings however ā€¦ā€¦.

Not sure that any one of the three in bold as an individual did amazing things but when you combine them with the mids and Hbfs as a collective they provided:
  • a lot more aggression to the opposition resulting in a lot more tackles
  • A lot more run both around the ball and ahead of the ball which is absolutely required to give confidence to the player with the ball and also those about to receive the ball that they can play on with confidence

Unlike your self Arrow who changes his mind every second week to to suit your narrative . nothing like sitting on the fence to suit your own agenda
I take it you have evidence of me changing my mind/stance/opinion on our current gameplan/tactics/players compared to the start of the season?

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the backline mix and Newman provided stability down back. Without Young we seemed to be more attacking but Boyd, Kemp, Gov, Cincotta are all good alternatives to just Saad coming out of the backline

Cunners, Martin and Fogarty as additions in the last few weeks

I have been a big fan of Cuningham but been disappointed with Martin and not really seen what Fogarty brings however ā€¦ā€¦.

Not sure that any one of the three in bold as an individual did amazing things but when you combine them with the mids and Hbfs as a collective they provided:
  • a lot more aggression to the opposition resulting in a lot more tackles
  • A lot more run both around the ball and ahead of the ball which is absolutely required to give confidence to the player with the ball and also those about to receive the ball that they can play on with confidence

Martin also brings a calm head with ball in hand both inside 50 and on the periphery.

His body sadly seems a ticking time bomb but with ball in hand he seems to have time when most others rush, and subsequently makes the correct decision more often than not.

Watched him closely too, most impressed Iā€™ve been with his running patterns and accountability during ball movement, he ran with Rowell everywhere but worked over to cover a loose Suns players forward of the ball twice on separate occasions when they had the ball moving forwardā€¦

Was on the move constantly, good workrate when we had possession he was creating/presenting good options during our own ball movement, wasnā€™t used on a few occasions, same while getting down forward as wellā€¦

Looked good with his positioning around the ground stoppages, tackled well also looked poised with ball in hand in general, small sample size but did look more mature and confident in himselfā€¦

Have wanted Dow to succeed but historically been quite disappointed

I liked when Kennedy was the sub coming on providing a fresh midfield option and have also liked Dow coming on as a sub

as sub Doe seems to be able to provide a point of difference late in a game and also able to play the defensive part of his job for a quarter or so, not sure I want him playing in our midfield full time, suspect he would revert to type

Is that you Brendon?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have wanted Dow to succeed but historically been quite disappointed

I liked when Kennedy was the sub coming on providing a fresh midfield option and have also liked Dow coming on as a sub

as sub Doe seems to be able to provide a point of difference late in a game and also able to play the defensive part of his job for a quarter or so, not sure I want him playing in our midfield full time, suspect he would revert to type
Coming on fresh later in the game is certainly an advantage, but he has put in a good amount of work over the last few seasons with improving parts of his overall game, he does to the eye look to have matured physically and aerobically by his good form in reserves and a few small sample sizes as subā€¦
We wonā€™t know for sure unless the powers to be are willing to reward him and give him a chance to prove himself with a block of games, he looks like he might have the maturity to make a good impactā€¦
Until it happens, weā€™ll never knowā€¦

Back