Prediction 2023 - Best 22 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Learning a few things.

Plowman can't play the 3rd tall role at all. We are better off playing Durdin and Young with Weitering roaming in that role. 100% on that.

Missing some quality defenders, will be ballsy to go into games with no Williams/Boyd and Docherty in defence. Newman and Saad are gold to us. Still not convinced Docherty plays on ball with those outs.

Cowan and Holland's aren't quite ready but are quality, may have to play. Maybe.

Marchbank and McGovern are important, we go up a level with them there.

The third tall role up forward is up in the air. SOS, isn't a great third tall, more a 4th tall should we want that. We need someone to come on here.

Our up and back run, run from behind the play is important as is our intercept play and defensive run, this will define us.

My guess for round 1.

B: Young Weitering Newman
HB: Saad McGovern Marchbank
C: Acres Cripps O'Brien
HF: Fisher Curnow Motlop
F: DeKoning McKay Durdin
OB: Pittonet Cerra Hewett
IC: Cowan Kennedy Docherty Silvagni
Sub: Martin
Em: Curnow Owies Hollands

Missing: Walsh, Williams, Boyd.

Carrying a few underdone players. Missing a few real good ones. We just need to win and get games into them.

McGovern Young Newman
Docherty Weitering Saad
Acres Hewett Hollands
Fisher Curnow JSOS
Motlop McKay Durdin
Pittonet Cripps Cerra
Cowan Kennedy Martin TDK (Ed)

Is how I'd go for round 1.

I expect LOB to play but I've loved Hollands pre season and not sure how they both fit.

Ed not an ideal sub but the best of the rest as it stands imo

A few players on the outer or changes in roles could make some changes e.g. JSOS, rucks, small forwards, Ed, 7th defender.
Martin, Fisher, Motlop, Cowan, (Dow?), Marchy, Plow and then if Carroll, Honey &/or Kemp can crack in.
415EC8C7-95D3-4AA1-914E-6D4E7F58B769.jpeg

1 small forward in the team and Hollands dropped for LoB?

5 forwards with the HFF adding to the on-ballers.

DC in the smaller forward brigade.
Owies in for JSOS if the 3 bigs aren’t working along with Pitto & TDK. J.Martin the unknown if he can get any consistency into performing as a solid mid-sized forward, or Cotters may add some run in the role with defensive pressure.

Hollands sub. Think LOB can do enough on the wing, as a starter. Interchangeable.

Due to the weekly discussions of ins and outs, I amended the thread title with "rolling"

Right now, pick your best 22 as per output, 7 rounds in and perhaps update it weekly if you feel the need

This is what I had before the start

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Williams Young Saad

Acres Cripps Walsh
Pittonet Cerra Hewett

Durdin C. Curnow Martin
TDK McKay Motlop

Newman Kennedy Doc Fisher

And on output at round 7

McGovern Weitering Newman
Cincotta Young Saad

Acres Cripps Hollands
Pittonet Cerra Hewett

Durdin C. Curnow Walsh
Jsos McKay Motlop

Cowan Kennedy Doc Owies

EMG: Fisher, Honey, Ed, Kemp

Mcgovern Young Kemp
Saad Weitering Cincotta
Hollands Cripps Acres
Owies Mckay Cottrell
JSOS CCurnow Durdin

Pittonet Cerra Walsh

Docherty, Hewett, Newman, Binns

Sub Boyd

Last edited:
I should have posted this here...

We haven't fielded a team this strong for a while, it has to be close to our best 22.

If everyone is available, we are only missing Williams and Boyd.

Backs:Sam DochertyLewis YoungNic Newman
Half-backs:Mitch McGovernJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsEd Curnow Williams
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettAdam Cerra
Interchange:Alex CincottaOllie HollandsJosh Honey Boyd
Brodie Kemp

A fit Jack Martin is easily in the best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a good rethink about where our list is at and just how much the game has changed, need to build around speed, pressure and kicking.

Thinking around next year's side, maybe something like this

Young Weitering Docherty
Saad Kemp Hollands
Acres Cerra Binns
Cuningham Cripps Martin
Curnow McKay Owies
Pittonet Durdin Walsh
Williams Dow Kennedy Motlop

Docherty back.

Hollands as an attacking half back, Nick Daicos prototype.

Binns ready for wing.

Cuningham forward/mid.

Martin, who knows if he'll get fit.

Durdin, recruited as a mid who could go forward, has a bit of Jack Viney about him, good tackler and pressure player, could add a lot of what we lack in there and cab go forward.

Cripps as a forward who goes into the middle.

I've got Dow in because I think he could make it as a quick insider mid still. Needs a chance but that's on the coach.

Still need to recruit some small/medium forwards and couple of quicker inside mids. CHB and forward/ruck as well.

Had a good rethink about where our list is at and just how much the game has changed, need to build around speed, pressure and kicking.

Thinking around next year's side, maybe something like this

Young Weitering Docherty
Saad Kemp Hollands
Acres Cerra Binns
Cuningham Cripps Martin
Curnow McKay Owies
Pittonet Durdin Walsh
Williams Dow Kennedy Motlop
With Cuningham and Martin in the team we won’t or shouldn’t have all 3 smalls in Owies, Durdin, Motlop in the 22.

Agree with the need for speed, pressure and kicking…I think Boyd ticks these boxes and should be in.

With Cuningham and Martin in the team we won’t or shouldn’t have all 3 smalls in Owies, Durdin, Motlop in the 22.

Agree with the need for speed, pressure and kicking…I think Boyd ticks these boxes and should be in.
Durdin to move into the midfield and rest forward. Cuningham to split his time between forward and mid depending on his fitness.

If Motlop ever gets fit I'd be giving him pinch hit moments in the midfield.

I think it works that way. Ideally we clean the midfield out of slower players and players who don't apply pressure or can't tackle.

It's not your typical 7 backs, 7 forwards 8 midfielders setup. We don't have the rotations we need which is on us for poor player development and coaching tactics with how we setup our rotations. I think our coaching lacks patience big time and that has hurt the development of our players. That needs to change.

I see that team as 7 backs (3 can rotate in the midfield Docherty, Hollands, Williams), 8 Mids (4-6 can rotate successfully, ideally), 7 forwards (2-4 can rotate successfully depending on fitness).

How that team would operate would be something like this:

Docherty/Walsh - I want Walsh to utilise his ability to run and play outside to learn to play half back.

Hollands/Acres - Acres again another player I want to utilise his experience and learn to play half back. Hollands is another player who needs to study Nick Daicos and utilise his running ability to model his game on that and add it to his already solid wingman's game.

The way I see it, half back at high level footy is very similar to wing, they just cover more ground and play a little more defensively but the bare bones, readying of the play etc is much the same. A lot of it is about running hard on the spread and keeping width, it's why wingers tend to slip into the half back position so well.

Cuningham, Martin, Cripps is a half forward line with onball experience and capability. Martin was a good midfielder but he seems to be finished in this role or is he?

Cripps to me is the CHF we need. Again half forward is not that different to a midfield role with it's running patterns, as a CHF he's got a good tank, his running ability is good, his game sense will be good, his marking and ground level game is good. IMO he would take a lot of third tall defenders to the cleaners and allow Charlie and Harry to do what they do best and play deep. Then he switches onto the ball to either give us some grunt or a ruck who is an extra mid. It's going to take some practice but it's something we have not pushed hard enough with Cripps and that is his forward development. His forward game last year was on fire. It was a big part of the reason we found ourselves in the top 4.

Durdin is a no brainer. He's a midfielder we have tried to make a forward of. He's a decent forward but IMO could be a lot better as a mid. We know he will be able to rotate into the forward line. He's swap out nicely with Cuningham or Motlop.

Dow is a player who not only needs to be a part of our team but a major player in it. We not only need to play him we need to use him and make him one of our go to players.

Young Weitering Docherty
Saad Kemp Hollands
Acres
Cerra Binns
Cuningham Cripps Martin
Curnow McKay Owies
Pittonet Durdin Walsh
Williams
Dow Kennedy Motlop

I've colour coded the players who would rotate with each other in this team.

The problem with our current team is that too many players don't have a second position and don't perform if they rotate. We don't rotate enough. We rotate because we are forced to, not because it's something that makes our team better. It's from many years of poor player development and it's still happening now, IMO it's got worse.

Early parts of last year we were rotating players more successfully than this season and we were top 4. TDK was going forward and ruck, Docherty was going on the ball a bit. Fisher and Durdin were going on the ball a bit. Cripps was going forward and having a huge impact. Williams went on the wing at times. Then it all stopped and we have put a stop to rotating players and developing players in secondary positions. We went from top 4 to bottom 4, the big part of that is because our player rotations aren't happening.

It's going to take some work in the off season to get the above team to work but it would work a lot better than the team we have now. It's also going to take some patience and a change of tactics from our coaching team which currently they do not have.

A few players I don't have rotations for, that could be worked on as well. Binns could probably rest forward. Owies could possible pinch hit in the midfield or perhaps Saad pinch hits on a wing. A few players are going to have to get fit and get some education in but that's player development, that's what the good clubs do.

I'd love to have a team that has a main midfield group, say Cerra, Walsh, Durdin, Dow and Kennedy as the above team does. If things aren't going well, and Essendon did this to us which put us away, we change it up and throw Motlop and Cuningham in there and go with fresh fast legs.

If I was to take on coaching Carlton this is what I would do and this is who I would build a team around. Tactically this is what I would do well among a whole heap of other things. Positioning forward of the ball when the opposition have it so we can go fast forward from the turnover would be the main point of change I would be looking at tactically. Rotations the other.

I just don't get it with interchange caps and the better teams talking up high midfield rotations, why we would go the other way. We're clueless.

B Kemp Weitering Docherty
HB Williams Young Saad
C Hollands Cripps Acres
HF Martin Curnow Durdin
F Silvagni McKay Owies
FOLL- Pittonet Cerra Walsh
I/C- Hewett, TDK, Newman, Binns

If I had my way I’d throw acres up forward in a negating role on one of the oppos intercepting defenders and have cunners take his spot on the wing.

It would look more like this.

Saad Weitering Newman
Cincotta Mcgovern Doch

Walsh Cripps Cuningham

Acres Charlie Martin
Durdin McKay Owies

Pitto Cerra Hewett

TDK Kemp Cottrell Boyd

a fully fit list

Williams Weitering Saad
Docherty Young McGovern
Acres Cerra Hollands
Cuningham Curnow Cottrell
Martin McKay Durdin

Pittonet Cripps Walsh

Kennedy TDK Kemp Newman

Getting a better picture of what the modern game looks like and players stepping up, it looks a lot like this.

B: Kemp Weitering Docherty
HB: Saad McGovern Boyd
C: Hollands Cripps Acres
HF: Dow DeKoning Martin
F: Owies McKay Curnow
OB: Pittonet Cerra Walsh
IC: Williams Kennedy Cuningham Durdin
SUB: Cottrell
EM: Motlop Fogarty Cowan Cincotta Silvagni

Would love to see a fully fit version of this side run out. It may be a tad short in defence but makes up for it with heaps of pace. Plenty of pace and grunt in the middle. Midfield balance with two grunt mids (Kennedy Cripps), Two break away mids (Dow and Walsh) and a balanced mid (Cerra). With forward/mid rotations, forward pace, pressure and speed.

A little transition into the modern game at Carlton happening at the moment, you get a better look at who fits and who does not.

Playing the modern way means defenders get exposed in space one on one and need to have the pace to defend one on one without that team defence so Young, Newman, Plowman etc are more on the outer.

Midfield pace to apply pressure but also break away and generate run and carry is super super important so Dow comes in to take the load off Cripps. Dow is a goal kicker in the VFL now so resting forward is a good thing really.

Proper forward/ruck. Three tall forwards allowing more one on ones and two to stay deep.

I think that may be a good look into what our 2024 side may look at. A few things there the coach is yet to try and we are yet to see like the Dow mover and some of the players haven't been playing under the new game plan like Durdin, Hollands, Williams.

One thing is for sure, we need more pace, more rotations, good tackling and good kicking.

Looking forward to Cuningham playing more games and getting fitter. Martin fitter. Williams coming back. Reckon faster ball movement is going to restart Durdin's career.

Still really rate our team, think it's improving on paper, we just monumentally f'ed up with the game plan and embracing modern football.

Could be a worry that we lose TDK and Dow then realise we don't have a second break away mid and don't have a proper forward ruck. We've been awfully slow on things like this. Mistakes like this can see teams miss the opportunity to play finals and win grand finals. We have already made too many.

Right now, fully fit

Williams Weitering Newman
McGovern S.Durdin Saad

Pitto Cerra Hewett
Acres Cripps Hollands

Cuners Harry Martin
Boyd Charlie Durdin

Doc, Walsh Kennedy TDK

Not alot has changed for me

Guys like Boyd could play in multiple areas

If we wanted a more mobile back 7, Kemp would come in for S.Durdin

Amazing that none of us would have thought this is our best 22, but it certainly is the best team we've fielded this season :eek:

Who are we missing?
We are missing a ruck, but apart from that who would you drop?

TS-Post-2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back