Autopsy Cats lose by 8 points to Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been harsh on Ollie Henry this year mainly because i want him to do well but boy he has shown up in the last few games, tonight was probably the best ive see from him from a defensive standpoint, keep that up young man and you will go far at this club.

Most Premiership defences are disappointing. It’s very rare to go back to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean since 2010 we have had the Hawks win 3 in a row and the Tigers go back to back. And defending premiers tend to do well the year after they win the flag:
Cats 2010 PF (lost to eventual premier),
Pies 2011 GF (lost to eventual premier),
Cats 2012 EF,
Swans 2013 PF,
Hawks 2016 SF (lost to eventual premier),
Bulldogs 2017 missed finals (finished 10th),
Richmond 2018 PF,
WCE 2019 SF,
Richmond 2021 missed finals (finished 12th after B2B),
Melbourne 2022 SF.
So since then, all but 2 of the teams who won flags since 2010 have made finals, and a SF at the minimum, of the teams who missed finals after winning a flag you have the anomaly in the Dogs who were lucky to win it in 2016, and the Tigers who had won 3/4 by the time they missed finals in 2021.

But in the 13 complete seasons since 2010 2/8 premiers have gone back to back, and I would argue a PF a season after a GF isn't a disappointment meaning that since 2010 4/8 have made a PF.

Hell go back to 2000, and only Hawks in 09, Bulldogs in 2017 and Richmond in 2021 missed finals after a premiership win. So I would argue that most premiership defences aren't disappointing.
I think we are the only team since 2000 to win a flag and go out in an EF the next year. Even Port in 2005 made a SF.

We are massively underachieving this season.

Cats are pretty close to a bottom four side. They have a lot of passengers and the new players haven't done the job this year. They will spend more than a few years in the doldrums. The season is over and it couldn't come quick enough, tank the last two games and get a better draft pick.

I'm quite happy to keep repeating this - let's see how he goes once we pump 50 games into him

Everytime I've watched him in the VFL he just looks a natural footballer, can see he has an understanding of the game, reads the play well and is normally a good kick for goal - kinda fells like he needs to get the monkey off his back, just kick his first in the seniors & he'll be right

There's players who've shown less in the early stages of their careers, but we've backed them in over the journey for mixed results - hoping we show Shannon the same support and back him in
He will take time. In 2025/2026 we'll have a decent player I reckon.

Greenness early on in the big time, especially for talls, is understandable.

Cats are pretty close to a bottom four side. They have a lot of passengers and the new players haven't done the job this year. They will spend more than a few years in the doldrums. The season is over and it couldn't come quick enough, tank the last two games and get a better draft pick.

Yeh this ain’t it.

Agree with this completely.

I actually think we're getting off lightly in the media at the moment for our drop-off. For a premiership-winning team to not only slide out of the top four the season afterwards, but completely out of finals altogether, is a rare occurrence, and under normal circumstances would be treated by the media as a catastrophic failure. However, because pretty much everyone in the media and the general public is bored of us being up near the top of the ladder, they all think we're overdue for a drop down the ladder, so in a weird way that's causing them to let us off the hook. The reaction is more "meh, they had a good run" rather than "holy s**t, the same group of players that won a Grand Final by 80+ points less than 12 months ago is about to miss finals altogether."

If we're getting off lightly in the media, it's not due to their good graces, it's because they've been waiting for us to slide for 10 years now.

I've been harsh on Ollie Henry this year mainly because i want him to do well but boy he has shown up in the last few games, tonight was probably the best ive see from him from a defensive standpoint, keep that up young man and you will go far at this club.
I think he could turn out to be like Jezz in a few years

Backline has become an utter shambles this year.
My ruminations.

Maybe it's time to admit that Kolo is not good enough. De Konning needs to go back to the reserves to get some confidence and he needs to get a personal trainer to improve his fitness. Ratugolea, warts and all is a better proposition than both of those players.

Bowes is a worry, his skills desert him under pressure, handballs go straight to the ground, doesn't stick his tackles, goes into contests half hearted. I'm not sure he will make it.

Bruhn is going to be very good. Ollie Henry will get better but needs to develop an engine.

Stengle needs to rediscover his form from last year. He is having s poor year. Still one of our most skillful players.

Stewart is overrated. He's good but he's not that good.

Dangerfield showed why we need him up and running.
Cameron had his best game in a long time.

Isaac Smith, Tuohy, Rohan have been very good for Geelong but are probably done.

We still need to find a real ruckman.

Our best is no longer good enough.

you have managed to misinterpret everything i said and spin it in your own way...by the way i agree

Legitimately wondering how I've misinterpreted this:

"Dont take this the wrong but i'd hate to playing with a lot you guys with that loser attitude."

Because the way I interpret it, you're insinuating that we have a loser attitude on here which is weak, and you wouldn't want to play on the same team as us.

Apologies if I've got that wrong, but genuinely wondering how you meant that in any other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You just know they are going to turn in a shocker v Bulldogs or Saints and miss the finals.

Maybe they need a jolt like missing the 8.

Little bit of arrogance crept in this year.

They showed their quality tonight but end of the day, St Kilda might play finals and we may miss.

That is shameful given what we are capable of.

St kilda are cooked and we will pass them there is no way they beat brisbane up there.

Our record vs the dogs are very good.

We will only miss the 8 if syd or adel win out which is possible but not likely given their draw.

8th is likely and then its what we can do vs 5th.

The crash and bash was FANTASTIC. You'd never get that from Stanley in a million years.

I'd give him a run in the ruck from next year. Sure, Stanley wins taps but he does sweet FA elsewhere. He tries to kick it over the barn whenever he kicks it (which is rare enough anyway), and has zero hunger.

I thought Stanley's ruckwork gave Geelong's mids first use over extended periods. His last two weeks, considering just ruckwork, have been pretty good. It's just around the ground he's gone into his shell again. I'm not sure why. He's been a lot livelier in the past.

I don't know after watching Joel retire, and Paddy/Guth/Duncan/Blicavs another year older why we didn't go harder for a mid 20s mid. Since preseason thats been our biggest weakness, we have exceptional but aging talent, and exciting but inconsistent youth and nothing besides Atkins and Parfitt in the 24-27 bracket that is typically what wins flags.

And what has ****ed us this year? Our midfield, because the older guys are a year older, so injuries mount up, and the kids can't carry the load.

Parish and another mid-20s midfielder are absolute necessities. And depending on who else retires besides Smith, 2 good mids puts us back top 4 next season.

But plenty on the board here were worried about that midfield gap end of last season, surely the club noticed it too. All well and good to bring in young talent, but there wasn't a mature aged mid we couldn't have gone for in the preseason?

Time for Scott to tell it like it is in a presser instead of the usual cover up rubbish he runs with every week, get angry Scotty, tell everyone how it is.
How it is?

"We have the oldest list in AFL history and a bunch of injuries and we just ran the likely premiers within 2 goals despite them playing out of their skins at their home ground. I'm very angry."

They smashed us in uncontested ball. We need more runners. Holmes was one you’d hope would be part of that but god he’s been disappointing.
But we have runners and they just didn’t run. Holmes, Close, Miers and Stengle had 13, 13, 12 and 11 touches. They were the key to our ball movement last year. This year they are flat (well, 3/4 are).

I really think we ****ed our season with fitness and injuries.

Legitimately wondering how I've misinterpreted this:

"Dont take this the wrong but i'd hate to playing with a lot you guys with that loser attitude."

Because the way I interpret it, you're insinuating that we have a loser attitude on here which is weak, and you wouldn't want to play on the same team as us.

Apologies if I've got that wrong, but genuinely wondering how you meant that in any other way.
The last line you posted was utter shite.

Is anyone going to call out De Koning? Don't worry about Sav, this bloke is so soft. Would be the worst key defender in the comp at the moment.

Soft is a really harsh call imo.

In a way, the only way was Down for Sam De Koning after his 2022 season.

I thought he had some good moments early tonight (and some shaky ones); but overall the whole defensive unit isn't what it was last year and De Koning is every bit as responsible - and excused - as Jack Henry, Tom Stewart and Zach Guthrie. I'm happy that he's still on the books.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back