Preview Finals Week 1: Collingwood v Melbourne, Thursday 7 September, MCG, 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maynard
Quaynor
Markov
WHE
Noble

We have been carrying a small defender too many.

Something had to give for balance and the coaching trust has decided in Markov and WHE for their versatility to defend aerially and ground balls which has probably worked against Noble as they can also run and carry the ball from defence.

Tough decision but the balance of the side makes more sense to carry a defence of Moore, Murphy, Howe and 4 of the above 5.
We don’t need 8 defenders per se in the one squad.

The flow on effects means Ginnivan can stay in the team and this creates a chain reaction to perhaps utilise Lipinski up field more, Adams up field more, Hill too etc.

Wow. I'm stunned.

Noble has been a bit down on his best in recent times - much like the whole team - but to my eye, no player has embodied Fly's manic "back yourself and move the ball forward quickly" style more than Noble. He is consistently one of our greatest metres gained contributors and moves the ball very quickly through his combo of running with the ball and kicking with penetration.

Its a big call. Will look like genius if we win and will be questioned if we lose.

To be fair, I don't know if WHE or Markov are worse than Noble in the backline. I don't think this will be the difference. It'll be the ruck-clearance-contest game that matters. Obviously all players are part of that but the difference between noble and the other two is marginal.

Cameron and Cox are going to be more of an issue.

This is not that relevant but Macrae, Ginnivan, Noble would likely all be named emergencies. With McInnes, Carmichael and Johnson out, wonder who takes the fourth spot. Bianco? Allan?
frampton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

I truly believe that Checkers and McStay along with a dose of Cox (hehe) hold the key to our winning chances.

Both midfields will get plenty of the pill but stopping May and Lever from doing as they please will disrupt Melbourne's intercept game. This also brings our small forwards into the game, so McCreery, Elliott and Hill need to be at the fall of the ball at all times.
Big Checkers lining up May would be nice to see.
And a cameo from Maynard right through Fritsch.

from my Delorean

"John Noble, Billy Frampton and Finlay Macrae have been omitted, while live-wire forward Jack Ginnivan will start as the Substitute."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back