Who finishes last in 2024?

Who finishes last in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I mean McAndrew and given his age and his size he has shown a lot of potential. I could easily imagine him ending up being better than JHF.

Two totally different players, so it's a weird comparison.

If I had to chose one for Carlton and our needs, definitely would take The Mac Attack.
Tall, athletic and strong contested intercept mark KPDs do not grow on trees.

It's likely JH-F will be the better, more consistent player but Mac Andrew possibly the more valuable one (if that makes sense)

2016 - top 4
2017 - 10 wins one draw 4 losses under 20pts
2018 - top 4
2019 - 11-11
2021 - 7 wins 2 draws 5 losses under 20 pts
I get you're trying to defend your clubs list being undervalued, but let's not get silly ay?
We could also dig up the threads like this one from previous years and see many people were tipping the Hawks to finish bottom 4 (and spooners) in most of those seasons from 2017-2020. That's how mediocre Hawthorn's list was in those years. Clarko did bloody well to paper over the cracks and extract 100% from the players at his disposal. For the most part, we managed to avoid the 50-60-70 point beltings dished out to teams as bereft of talent as those Hawthorn teams.

We somehow stayed reasonably competitive against all odds. We probably have Clarko's coaching to thank for that (even though I would've preferred we tanked and got good draft picks.)

bzparkes , Hawthorn didn't move on from Clarkson because they lost faith in his ability to coach a football team. They just needed a fresh start after 17 seasons. They needed a fresh face like Mitchell to revitalise things and oversee a rebuild with the kids. (AKA "tanking" according to muppets like Damien Barrett)

I agree with you that Clarko still has to prove he can cut it as a coach, but that's no different to every other AFL coach. The game can go past anyone who doesn't have the nous to move with the times and keep improving. Clarkson was always able to do this however. That was the hallmark of his coaching career at Hawthorn. He was always finding ways to get better.

I think people underestimate the toll which the racism accusations had on his mental state last year. People will often use depression, mental issues or mental fatigue as reasons for walking away from the job. It's become a bit of an overplayed card in recent years. But I think Clarkson obviously needed to step away (even if some judgmental folks on here had no sympathy for him)

Provided he has put all that behind him, I don't have any doubts about him whipping the young Kangaroos into shape. Maybe we won't see instant huge improvement in terms of ladder position... But I would be shocked if North aren't pushing up towards 8th or 9th by 2025.

Last edited:
Personally I don't rate Ben McKay at all (enjoy Essendon) so I anticpate their backline will perform about as well as last year.

I expect they will lose five games by 50+ just like 2023 but probably won't get blown out nearly as much as the Eagles will.
FTFY/EFA

His goals, goal assists and clearances were all well up in 2023 compared to 2022. As well as being on of the best kicks inside 50.
Extra 2 goals every five or so games, extra 4 clearances every three games or there abouts and an extra GA every three or four games.

An extra ten goals a year is okay I spose, 15+ if you count GAs.

No, McKay would.
No way. Carlton would prefer an average key forward where you shut your eyes every time he has a shot rather than a very good forward who is a reliable set shot

Seems weird to me that Freo are considered a chance to finish last.

If they have a good run of injuries, they are one of only 3 teams from outside the eight (Crows and Suns being the others) that can make the finals next season.
Freo were already dogshit last year and then lost two good players for future draft picks. Every chance of a terrible year.

No way. Carlton would prefer an average key forward where you shut your eyes every time he has a shot rather than a very good forward who is a reliable set shot

And then there is a 5 year contract for a notoriously lazy 27yo Chol who was playing reserves behind the 34yo Casboult.
Strolling across the line just in front of DGB at the tail of the field in yesterday’s time trial shouldn’t really surprise though.
These rebuilds are bloody hard work …

And then there is a 5 year contract for a notoriously lazy 27yo Chol who was playing reserves behind the 34yo Casboult.
Strolling across the line just in front of DGB at the tail of the field in yesterday’s time trial shouldn’t really surprise though.
Don't let facts get in the way of making s**t up
Rebuilds are hard, takes Mediocre clubs (ala Carlton) 10 years to be relevant again

Michalanney had an unbelievable debut season. Was hardly beaten all year, mostly playing on the opposition gun forwards.

Toby Greene got him in our 2nd game v GWS, but he is the best small forward in the AFL.

It's like watching Ben Hart reincarnated.

The good news is he has a younger brother...
We were very keen on him and considered him as a bolter. Recruiters certainly saw something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo were already dogshit last year and then lost two good players for future draft picks. Every chance of a terrible year.
Freo have won 25 games and a final in the last two years
Port have won 27 games and no finals
We’ve finished last once in our 6th year in the comp every chance we won’t in 2024.
I hope you use whole egg

Easy for Hawthorn and Eagles fans to take pot shots at North Melbourne in this thread when they have far less young a grade talent (on exposed form) than North Melbourne.

Doesn't matter what happens next season, North are much better equipped going forwards than Hawthorn or the Eagles, esp once Tassie enters the National Draft from 2026 onwards.

Hawks and Eagles are morals to finish bottom 4 next season, I can see North climbing out of that mire quite frankly
LOL were not finishing bottom 4 and on exposed form which of North's young talent will be better long term?. We have some high end young talent on our list as well and unlike North we have got them in different areas of the ground. Watson could easily be as good as Mckercher or Duursma as 1 example. Ward, Weddle, Macdonald, Macabe all high end talent. Haven't even mentioned Day and Newcombe who are already better than any of North's young stars and that's fact. All 22 and under. Not sure why you decided to pot us when alot of the analysis on North has been genuine and not trying to troll. You blokes have made a prelim congratulations but you haven't achieved anything yet. Perhaps you and other Carlton supporters refrain from lecturing other supporter groups until there's proof you blokes are the bees knees of the competition.

Easy for Hawthorn and Eagles fans to take pot shots at North Melbourne in this thread when they have far less young a grade talent (on exposed form) than North Melbourne.

Doesn't matter what happens next season, North are much better equipped going forwards than Hawthorn or the Eagles, esp once Tassie enters the National Draft from 2026 onwards.

Hawks and Eagles are morals to finish bottom 4 next season, I can see North climbing out of that mire quite frankly
Grouchy and a poor analyst

Thats rough

Don't let facts get in the way of making s**t up
Rebuilds are hard, takes Mediocre clubs (ala Carlton) 10 years to be relevant again

Carlton and Melbourne chopped and changed the admin - vicious cycle

Look at Geelong or Richmond before their three flags stuck with the program when it got tough.

Allegedly kennett wanted to replace Clarko in 2010… even after a 2008 flag

Day will be coming off an interrupted summer so probably best left to concentrate on a thorough rehabilitation.

Glad to know Day is a very good and important player. Let’s hope he doesnt return to mediocrity once fit again

(In bigfootys collective judgement that is)

Not wishing for injury, but if sheezel misses any games, north are a lock for last, that’s how it works eh?

Carlton and Melbourne chopped and changed the admin - vicious cycle

Look at Geelong or Richmond before their three flags stuck with the program when it got tough.

Allegedly kennett wanted to replace Clarko in 2010… even after a 2008 flag

Kennett appears to believe that he still represents the hawks in some capacity.
Better to just award him life membership and move on, as did the club’s CEO and Dingley project manager last year.
Stability is difficult in rebuilds …

Would have thought it'd be a minority-held view that Day or Newcombe are superior players to Sheezel at this point.
Minority held view the other way. They were a strong reason our midfield performed well this season and haven't scratched the surface yet of what there capable of. It was Day's first uninterrupted season. Sheezel is good already but it's a long bow to draw he is superior to both. You would only think that if you don't watch many Hawks games.

Kennett appears to believe that he still represents the hawks in some capacity.
Better to just award him life membership and move on, as did the club’s CEO and Dingley project manager last year.
Stability is difficult in rebuilds …

And yet hawthorn has stability, even with an acrimonious election.

Freo have won 25 games and a final in the last two years
Port have won 27 games and no finals
We’ve finished last once in our 6th year in the comp every chance we won’t in 2024.
I hope you use whole egg
Port won 20 games and a premiership in 2004, Fremantle only won 11 games. This is of course entirely irrelevant, but so are the 2022 results that you brought up, so when in Rome I guess. Enjoy continued irrelevancy next year 👍

Would have thought it'd be a minority-held view that Day or Newcombe are superior players to Sheezel at this point.
Newcombe plays a real position and plays it well which pretty much automatically makes him a better player at this point than Harry Seagull. If you'd said LDU instead you might have had a point.

Back