Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Its an interesting question because if it is simply market driven then the AFL is essentially painting Vic fans as bandwagoners that will only stay invested if they get their own way and I think it has merit, especially when you see how the Tiger Coach and fans have left the building post dynasty.
Is it only vic fans that sook if they don't get their way? Richmond afaik still has 100k members, Collingwood still has 100k members in poor form, is that bandwagoning?

Victard: Offer Solutions!!

Non Victard: Solution, Solution, Solution and Solution

Victard: Its never gonna happen! It just isn't. Tradition. Money. Tradition. You joined our league.

That's better Papa G! You seem more yourself.

Would it hurt those from SA to know we don't really have a pejorative nickname for them?

We play for flags. That is the only metric that matters.

15 flags in 17 years have gone to Victorian teams.
Because Victorian teams have gone and beaten non-vic teams in big finals on their own home ground.

Richmond beating Port in SA and Brisbane in QLD, Geelong beating Brisbane in QLD, Hawthorn beating Freo in WA, W.Bulldogs beatint GWS in NSW and Port in SA in big finals aint evidnece of any VICBIas.

It is simply that the non-vic teams weren't good enough to get it done at home with their crowd behind them.

As their is only 1 premier each year, to be premier you actually have to win some big finals....you dont just rotate it around.

And again which team has the longest premiership droughts...a small Melbourne based club, St Kilda.

The teams that actually shafted by the AFL, are the small Melbourne based clubs.

Rotating the grand final venue would be a good start
A good start for what?

Does it reward the highest ranked team - no

Does it ensure the GF will not be at the ground of a lower ranked team - no

Does it reduce travel - no, likelihood is it will increase travel

Does it ensure more club members get to see their team play live in a GF - no, will again mean less club members get to see it

Does it increase revenue - no, rotating the GF will reduce $$ coming in.

A good start for what?

Does it ensure more club members get to see their team play live in a GF - no, will again mean less club members get to see it

Always staggers me how interested Collingwood fans are of the AFL making money and never ever looking at making things better or fairer. Why do you Collingwood fans care so much about the AFL income?

Always staggers me how interested Collingwood fans are of the AFL making money and never ever looking at making things better or fairer. Why do you Collingwood fans care so much about the AFL income?

Because it justifies, in their minds atleast, their advantages.

I strongly think that a Out of State player drafting bonus would help.

So this applies to all 18 clubs, but if a player is drafted to a state they are not from they automatically get an extra 10% on their salary. If they sign another contract with the same club they were drafted at they keep that 10% bonus, even if the salary is much higher than it was when they were drafted, and they keep that bonus if they sign another contract with the club they were drafted at.

However, if they move clubs at any point in their career that bonus is gone.

To me this would help all the clubs where drafting locally is not always an easy solution, would help Victorian clubs too who are willing to take the risk on a non-Victorian.

rotating the GF will reduce $$ coming in.

I don't care about the AFL's finances of having a grand final in another state. I care about the tradition and what it means. Playing at the g to win a gf is about as good as it gets in Australian sport. Playing a grand final anywhere else cheapens that.

I believe Melbourne's grand final will always have an asterisk alongside their win, and I bet it would have meant more to the players if it had been played at the g. They wouldn't admit it. But that's what winning a grand final is about.

Never take the grand final away from the MCG imho.

So this applies to all 18 clubs, but if a player is drafted to a state they are not from they automatically get an extra 10% on their salary. If they sign another contract with the same club they were drafted at they keep that 10% bonus, even if the salary is much higher than it was when they were drafted, and they keep that bonus if they sign another contract with the club they were drafted at.

To me this would help all the clubs where drafting locally is not always an easy solution, would help Victorian clubs too who are willing to take the risk on a non-Victorian.

I think the club should put the bounty on the player.
Example Dangerfield wants to leave crows to go to Geelong under FA.
That’s fine say Adelaide but we want your top 2 draft picks for the best player in the comp. Or a draft pick and a player. This deal should have nothing to do with the AFL. Geelong paid virtually nothing to Adelaide for getting Dangerfield. It’s ridiculous that the clubs don’t get to decide what the price is.
By doing this then FA comes with a price and it is now much harder to just up and leave.

A good start for what?

Does the current arrangement advantage the Victorian teams? Yes
Does it ensure more fans from outside Victoria get to watch a grand final in their lifetimes? No

And this is what the thread is about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the club should put the bounty on the player.
Example Dangerfield wants to leave crows to go to Geelong under FA.
That’s fine say Adelaide but we want your top 2 draft picks for the best player in the comp. Or a draft pick and a player. This deal should have nothing to do with the AFL. Geelong paid virtually nothing to Adelaide for getting Dangerfield. It’s ridiculous that the clubs don’t get to decide what the price is.
By doing this then FA comes with a price and it is now much harder to just up and leave.

Pick 9, pick 28 and a player is not virtually nothing mate. Wasn't fair value either but not good to modify facts to suit a narrative.

This is tiresome. It isn't going to happen so wish people would stop posting it as a solution.

I'd like it to rotate too, alternate the G with SA, WA, QLD, but it's not going to change anything. Posters in here complaining that it rains in winter.
The thread is about VICBias. This is a very good example of VICBIas and relevant to the conversation.

... and I'll keep complaining about it until it changes.

That's better Papa G! You seem more yourself.

Would it hurt those from SA to know we don't really have a pejorative nickname for them?
Knowing they are from SA, really leaves not much more to say.
Since moving to SA, I get it now, they really are a special bunch.

Only four weeks to go, then I get to move back home.:)

I don't care about the AFL's finances of having a grand final in another state. I care about the tradition and what it means. Playing at the g to win a gf is about as good as it gets in Australian sport. Playing a grand final anywhere else cheapens that.

I believe Melbourne's grand final will always have an asterisk alongside their win, and I bet it would have meant more to the players if it had been played at the g. They wouldn't admit it. But that's what winning a grand final is about.

Never take the grand final away from the MCG imho.
So does Hawthorn's 1991 flag have an asterisk too? Or like most people have you forgotten about it not being played there and it just counts as a flag

That's a really dumb idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back