List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I reckon we will split (Crows/Freo/GC) being the clubs most likely as trade partners.

I don’t think Hawks or Roos will split as they need a sure things up the top. Richmond might depending who leaves and compo.

Richmond have a fistful of R2 and R3 picks and are more likely to use those to trade up for another R1 pick to a team needing points

One mid to late first rounder for Tommy.
That's a no from me.

From the HS

WHO NEEDS A KEY DEFENDER?

Clubs on the Eastern Seaboard will again desperately try to lure West Coast premiership player Tom Barrass out of the club as they scour the competition for established key backs.

With most star backs on long-term deals and clubs already sniffing about a weak mid-season draft, they will again ask about Barrass’s future.

Many have already inquired this year and industry sources believe the Dogs are one club who would love another established key back like Barrass.

He shapes as one of the very few players with trade currency if West Coast’s new list boss Matthew Clark wants to enhance the club’s draft hand.

The 28-year-old would be worthy of a first-round pick but he and his fiance Nadia Rosa have two young children in Perth and would be unlikely to consider a trade request.

Sydney made a concerted bid for him last season.
But he has three seasons on a deal of at least $750,000, is a premiership player and like Eliot Yeo is very happy at the Eagles.
Ideal scenario if Tommy did want to move on.

Sheldrick and Swans first for Barrass

Use the first for Baker if he wants to come.

Busslinger as a replacement for our 2nd rd pick. (If we didn’t finish as spooner as can’t use PSD when Roos and Hawks would jump at him)

Split pick 1/2/3 for GCs firsts. Probably around 10 (Champion), 11 (Hotton) and 25 (?) after NGAs And F/S.

Dev for a 5th round pick swap. I believe can be our Ben Keays type. A lot of effort and pressure.

Gotta make a MSD spot available if not two. Free looks at players.

Richmond have a fistful of R2 and R3 picks and are more likely to use those to trade up for another R1 pick to a team needing points
Very true.

I reckon we would be the most likely to spit. Final ladder and NGA/FS landing positions will have a lot of weight this year if the spilt is good to go.

I reckon we will split (Crows/Freo/GC) being the clubs most likely as trade partners.

I don’t think Hawks or Roos will split as they need a sure things up the top. Richmond might depending who leaves and compo.
Here is a proposal for Crows. We end up with 2 and them 9. Curtin and 9 for 2? Who says no?

Crows likely say no as they could have had our F1 for Curtin last year so giving up 9 would be embarrassing

Way too soon to be talking splitting. Bottom 4 is becoming clearer with Norf, Hawks, Tigers and us looking strong favourites. 1 or 2 is a lot better than 4 which likely becomes 5 (Levi impact)

We need to see what our 4th midfielder needs to be to round off Hewett, Ginbey, Harley. I’m thinking at this stage a ball magnet. Smilie O’Sullivan and Smith are looking like great options so sitting put and picking with a pointy end pick sounds good. We seem to be assembling some outside run and carry and really keen to see how Burgiel goes and use this year to find out if Noah can take the step up into midfield rotations. Chesser is improving but feels like a class level well below Hewett/Ginbey/Harley

Here is a proposal for Crows. We end up with 2 and them 9. Curtin and 9 for 2? Who says no?

Crows likely say no as they could have had our F1 for Curtin last year so giving up 9 would be embarrassing

Way too soon to be talking splitting. Bottom 4 is becoming clearer with Norf, Hawks, Tigers and us looking strong favourites. 1 or 2 is a lot better than 4 which likely becomes 5 (Levi impact)

We need to see what our 4th midfielder needs to be to round off Hewett, Ginbey, Harley. I’m thinking at this stage a ball magnet. Smilie O’Sullivan and Smith are looking like great options so sitting put and picking with a pointy end pick sounds good. We seem to be assembling some outside run and carry and really keen to see how Burgiel goes and use this year to find out if Noah can take the step up into midfield rotations. Chesser is improving but feels like a class level well below Hewett/Ginbey/Harley
Yeah a lot of possibilities. I think we throw in Barnett if we can get 7ish (Sid Draper) and Curtin.

A lot will come down to who we try and get if we miss out on English and Baker as now expected.

I reckon we finish the 15th, offer our first for curtin and they say yes. Allows them to trade out their pick to get inside welsh whilst still maintaining that high first round pick.

They need midfielders more than curtin.

Smilie at 1, FOS at 2 and Jagga at 5. We stand to get an A grade mid with our first.

Luke Trainor at 4. Lets hope he has a great season so the likes of Norf and Hawks have a tough decision on their hands.

Malakai Champion at 10. Shhhhhhh.

Trade for developing talents who will fill a role at AFL level and chase free agents to fill roles while we develop young talent.

The club is still short on everything. Buss is a big target for us as I don't see Bazzo making it as a KPD. He just doesn't play above his height which means he's competing with Hough as that third tall who can play smaller and i'd much rather Hough. Sure he's worth persisting with and could become a decent player and great depth.

I doubt Barrass is going anywhere, I think Harry Edwards and Jack Williams are too slow for AFL however if Jack can improve his ruck craft and become a good second ruck then he has a future role as I don't think Bailey Williams is a forwards arseh*le. Jack Edwards also needs to get more physical.

He's still a couple of years away from being able to make an impact but a cheap target would be Max Knobel from the dockers. Out of contract end of year, Has 2 long term fulltime rucks ahead of him, is 207cm and just gave Scott Jones a bath in the ruck at WAFL level. Wouldn't cost more than a future third or fourth. Will become a genuine number 1 ruck in 3 years time. If Flynn can stay fit once back for the rest of the year, i'd happily trade Bailey Williams out as his value will never be higher. He won't make it as a forward at AFL level.

So out Bailey Williams for a pick between 20-30.
In Max Knobel for a future third.
In Busslinger for our current second round pick.

Future key backs are Jamieson, Busslinger with Hough as the third tall and Bazzo for depth once Gov and Barrass retire. We can build on that.

Keep Jack Williams for 2 years to see if he can develop his craft as both a forward and a ruck to see if he is up for that second ruck spot. We'll have a good idea on Livingstone by then too. His kicking however whilst not Bailey bad isn't much better.

We need at least 1 more true KPF, one more inside/balanced mid, a FP and about 6 classy outside users from HB to HF who read the play well, can get the ball and have good skills. 1-2 need elite kicking and 2 need elite speed with run and carry.

I have watched too much Archer Reid to say positive things until he shows the application, intensity and contact required at AFL level to consider him. He is an amazing athlete however.

I really like Johnston as a future prospect either wing or HF but needs a good couple of years to be ready to hold down a B22 spot.
Clay Hall will come on but is likely to be a mid range prospect. Hopefully he can develop, learn to keep his kicking within his abilities and become a Redden type for us.
Don't think Rawlinson will make it, slim chance as a roleplaying shut down forward. Kicking lacks depth and is very erratic.
Burgiel I rate but needs to get his body right and could be one of those classy run and carry kicking smalls.
Long looks like a good small forward who can get up and back making good decisions.
Hewett has a great burst from midfield and hopefully can come back and develop as a top 3 in team mid for us inside/out.
Ginbey is developing his game on the outside and hopefully can come in as an inside bullocking mid in the future. Particularly to be ready when Yeo is no longer able to play mid or has retired.
Maric is a wait and see how he develops. He could be a mid sized defender, wing or hard running third tall forward. Needs time.
Culley imo if he doesn't make it as a mid won't make the grade.
Barnett needs to continue improving and may not end up a ruck, particularly a first ruck. Still 3 years away but if he doesn't make ruck could make a good KPD and second ruck. Progressing slower than hoped, worried about his future as I really rated his U18 year.
Dewar could make it as a HF but is more unlikely to make it than make it. I'd persist for 2 more years if his attitude is right.
Luke Edwards has great composure and is good at getting the ball but in reality is a failed inside mid who is just too slow. Hard to see him locking down a spot.
Baker will develop but I think his ceiling is WAFL.
Jury is out on Chesser, we shall see but enough has been said about him already.
Brockman is a talent I think worth persisting with but again I would say he is less likely to make it in a challenging side than to make the grade.
Trew is delist. Will make a very good state level midfielder and may one day win a sandover but doesn't have it to challenge at AFL level as first choice mid.
Harry Edwards is a delist for me.

That's the youth roundup as I see it.

Smilie at 1, FOS at 2 and Jagga at 5. We stand to get an A grade mid with our first.

Luke Trainor at 4. Lets hope he has a great season so the likes of Norf and Hawks have a tough decision on their hands.

Malakai Champion at 10. Shhhhhhh.

Champion would have to have a big season to go top 40 imo. As a matter of fact his top 20 ratings are all over the shop and I wouldn't have at least 5-6 he has in the top 20 in the top 40.

I reckon we finish the 15th, offer our first for curtin and they say yes. Allows them to trade out their pick to get inside welsh whilst still maintaining that high first round pick.

We need 1 more high calibre midfielder. I wouldn't be doing a straight swap of our first pick for Curtin especially if we can potentially land Busslinger. Maybe a trade along the lines of our first and future second for Adelaide's first and Curtin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade for developing talents who will fill a role at AFL level and chase free agents to fill roles while we develop young talent.

The club is still short on everything. Buss is a big target for us as I don't see Bazzo making it as a KPD. He just doesn't play above his height which means he's competing with Hough as that third tall who can play smaller and i'd much rather Hough. Sure he's worth persisting with and could become a decent player and great depth.

I doubt Barrass is going anywhere, I think Harry Edwards and Jack Williams are too slow for AFL however if Jack can improve his ruck craft and become a good second ruck then he has a future role as I don't think Bailey Williams is a forwards arseh*le. Jack Edwards also needs to get more physical.

He's still a couple of years away from being able to make an impact but a cheap target would be Max Knobel from the dockers. Out of contract end of year, Has 2 long term fulltime rucks ahead of him, is 207cm and just gave Scott Jones a bath in the ruck at WAFL level. Wouldn't cost more than a future third or fourth. Will become a genuine number 1 ruck in 3 years time. If Flynn can stay fit once back for the rest of the year, i'd happily trade Bailey Williams out as his value will never be higher. He won't make it as a forward at AFL level.

So out Bailey Williams for a pick between 20-30.
In Max Knobel for a future third.
In Busslinger for our current second round pick.

Future key backs are Jamieson, Busslinger with Hough as the third tall and Bazzo for depth once Gov and Barrass retire. We can build on that.

Keep Jack Williams for 2 years to see if he can develop his craft as both a forward and a ruck to see if he is up for that second ruck spot. We'll have a good idea on Livingstone by then too. His kicking however whilst not Bailey bad isn't much better.

We need at least 1 more true KPF, one more inside/balanced mid, a FP and about 6 classy outside users from HB to HF who read the play well, can get the ball and have good skills. 1-2 need elite kicking and 2 need elite speed with run and carry.

I have watched too much Archer Reid to say positive things until he shows the application, intensity and contact required at AFL level to consider him. He is an amazing athlete however.

I really like Johnston as a future prospect either wing or HF but needs a good couple of years to be ready to hold down a B22 spot.
Clay Hall will come on but is likely to be a mid range prospect. Hopefully he can develop, learn to keep his kicking within his abilities and become a Redden type for us.
Don't think Rawlinson will make it, slim chance as a roleplaying shut down forward. Kicking lacks depth and is very erratic.
Burgiel I rate but needs to get his body right and could be one of those classy run and carry kicking smalls.
Long looks like a good small forward who can get up and back making good decisions.
Hewett has a great burst from midfield and hopefully can come back and develop as a top 3 in team mid for us inside/out.
Ginbey is developing his game on the outside and hopefully can come in as an inside bullocking mid in the future. Particularly to be ready when Yeo is no longer able to play mid or has retired.
Maric is a wait and see how he develops. He could be a mid sized defender, wing or hard running third tall forward. Needs time.
Culley imo if he doesn't make it as a mid won't make the grade.
Barnett needs to continue improving and may not end up a ruck, particularly a first ruck. Still 3 years away but if he doesn't make ruck could make a good KPD and second ruck. Progressing slower than hoped, worried about his future as I really rated his U18 year.
Dewar could make it as a HF but is more unlikely to make it than make it. I'd persist for 2 more years if his attitude is right.
Luke Edwards has great composure and is good at getting the ball but in reality is a failed inside mid who is just too slow. Hard to see him locking down a spot.
Baker will develop but I think his ceiling is WAFL.
Jury is out on Chesser, we shall see but enough has been said about him already.
Brockman is a talent I think worth persisting with but again I would say he is less likely to make it in a challenging side than to make the grade.
Trew is delist. Will make a very good state level midfielder and may one day win a sandover but doesn't have it to challenge at AFL level as first choice mid.
Harry Edwards is a delist for me.

That's the youth roundup as I see it.

Pretty much agree with all this. KPD situation is a worry tbh - Jamieson has been a surprise, but it's not clear he has the ability to ever actually step into a central role. Acquiring Busslinger sounds good given his pre-draft status, but his not breaking into the AFL at all yet isn't a great sign.

I only watched a couple of games featuring Archer Reid last year, but yeah, even at a glance his gamestyle concerned me. There's a sort of meekness that gives me Brander vibes (a lesson you'd think we'd have learned). Not a big immediate fan.

I'm just fantasising about us going hard and early for Jed Walter.

We are still no closer to knowing what Curtin actually is. He’s playing SANFL and from the crowd board it sounds like he isn’t even playing as a key defender.

I’m not sure about trading back for a bloke who doesn’t even have a clearly defined role yet.

I agree we split.

But I think North and would be crazy not to, assuming the current top players are mids as expected.

They just must take talls, so splitting to get the best tall in draft and getting good change just has to be their strategy.

Hawks desperately need a top line mid so they are the opposite.

English has already been through that in 2020/21. There was talk from his manager at the time that he only wanted to be a #1 ruckman.

He’s not leaving to play FWD/2nd ruck for us, and he’s not going to be playing that role at the dogs next year either.

And Naughton has refused to play defense from the sound of it.

English demands to play the role he wants but isnt great at, centre bounces.

Maybe this is a bit of an insight why a team with so much talent isnt delivering. Players demanding where they play to the detriment of the team?

"Moares", "Morares", "Morez"... it doesnt matter what the commentators call him, Christian Moraes is one of the top prospects in this year's draft.

He had a strange game here. Starting on a wing and getting a bit lost in the first quarter, a move on ball in the second sparked him into life and he racked up 10 touches in the quarter. He game ended prematurely in the third quarter when he was crunched in a marking contest and looked to have copped a knee in the ribs.

Curtin has done nothing at this stage so not sure how his value has increased, much rather take the pick to the draft or split if we're given a worthwhile offer than chase him until he shows something that proves he's worth a top 4 pick

Curtin has done nothing at this stage so not sure how his value has increased, much rather take the pick to the draft or split if we're given a worthwhile offer than chase him until he shows something that proves he's worth a top 4 pick
It certainly hasn't decreased. You don't devalue talls because they haven't shown too much in their first year. If we valued him around this year's first during draft week last year, we probably value him the same this yeaar. He's a project, not a plug and play.

It certainly hasn't decreased. You don't devalue talls because they haven't shown too much in their first year. If we valued him around this year's first during draft week last year, we probably value him the same this yeaar. He's a project, not a plug and play.
It hasnt increased either and he wasn't worth a top 4 pick last year and he isnt this year. We've never had to spend those sorts of picks on key defenders in the past so don't see why we should start now.

It hasnt increased either and he wasn't worth a top 4 pick last year and he isnt this year. We've never had to spend those sorts of picks on key defenders in the past so don't see why we should start now.
He wasn't contracted last year though and Adelaide wouldn't want to waste a draft year. I tend to think we won't go for him anyway, I don't think draftees leaving after a year is going to become the norm and I don't think clubs want to encourage it. But if you value a number 8 draft pick enough to chase him after one year, he'll probably cost more than he did when he was on the open market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back