Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I strongly think that a Out of State player drafting bonus would help.

So this applies to all 18 clubs, but if a player is drafted to a state they are not from they automatically get an extra 10% on their salary. If they sign another contract with the same club they were drafted at they keep that 10% bonus, even if the salary is much higher than it was when they were drafted, and they keep that bonus if they sign another contract with the club they were drafted at.

However, if they move clubs at any point in their career that bonus is gone.

To me this would help all the clubs where drafting locally is not always an easy solution, would help Victorian clubs too who are willing to take the risk on a nonnon-Victorian
I think it's better to help the local talent stay in their home state, rather than encourage players to change states. Northern Academies are much fairer than COLA.

I think it's better to help the local talent stay in their home state, rather than encourage players to change states. Northern Academies are much fairer than COLA.

No, it encourages players drafted to another state not to go home. Had Adelaide kept Dangerfield for instance they would have been a better team, and conversely made Geelong who have been much more successful in the last decade or so a worse team. Non Victorian teams losing players to the go home factor is a significant problem, one Victorian teams don't face nearly as often.

Could you elaborate as to why?

Because salaries are high enough already and they keep going up.

There is zero need to do what you want and it will never happen, thankfully.

Absolutely ridiculous but not surprising coming from a Sydney fan who now expect handouts from the AFL

It is a scheme that every team has access to. Victorian clubs can use it as well.

I think I see the counter argument. Salary as a motivator loses its impact the more you earn. When you are already earning hundreds of thousands of dollars, another 100K either way isn't much of a motivator (compared to say being home with friends and family).

I think I see the counter argument. Salary as a motivator loses its impact the more you earn. When you are already earning hundreds of thousands of dollars, another 100K either way isn't much of a motivator (compared to say being home with friends and family).

Yes but it can still help, especially for the mid range players, players who are quite important in creating a strong team.

No, it encourages players drafted to another state not to go home. Had Adelaide kept Dangerfield for instance they would have been a better team, and conversely made Geelong who have been much more successful in the last decade or so a worse team. Non Victorian teams losing players to the go home factor is a significant problem, one Victorian teams don't face nearly as often.
I think it's pretty clear that throwing extra money at players isn't usually enough to keep a guy from moving back home. Plenty of players take pay cuts to move to a specific club to win premierships.

If the Northern Academies setup was universal for all non vic clubs, it would have meant Bryce Gibbs and Brodie Grundy could have been drafted to Adelaide or Pavlich and Ebert to Port.

Too many vic players, how about we put a cap on the amount of vic players, so we can even this up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's kinda unavoidable when a national comp morphs out of a state league, the AFL is a great lesson to the rest of the world why it should never happen.

Does the current arrangement advantage the Victorian teams? Yes
Does it ensure more fans from outside Victoria get to watch a grand final in their lifetimes? No

And this is what the thread is about

You might want to look at how GF tickets are allocated and then how many would go to members of the teams if it was a 50,000 seat venue.

You at least deal in reality and you know that nothing changes helps your club and hence the vested interest.
So you think we wouldn't rather win on merit in a more equitable competition, well speaking for myself you're wrong.

I think it's fair speculation that most would have the same view.

It's been explained eleventy gazillion times the why's of the inequity, that doesn't equate to we don't want change to take away any advantages

You might want to look at how GF tickets are allocated and then how many would go to members of the teams if it was a 50,000 seat venue.

Funny enough it would be a more equal crowd at a 60k venue. At the G the home vic sides gets to fill up the ground with its home supporters after the ticket allocation and hence the around 70-30 split each and every time a Vuc club plays a non vic club at the G.

Saying that I am a huge fan of the G, just think ticketing should be done far differently.

Or make it easier for clubs to retain players they have drafted from other states.
Well that would depend on the player and how they view the scenario, you can't force players to not want to go home, as has been said earlier, an extra 100k when you're on big $ already ain't gonna sway a players want to go home.

So you think we wouldn't rather win on merit in a more equitable competition, well speaking for myself you're wrong.

It's been explained eleventy gazillion times the why's of the inequity, that doesn't equate to we don't want change to take away any advantages

I can honestly say that in the modern game I honestly don’t know if the best side wins the flag anymore. So much comes down to what happened in the compromised fixture, who played who twice etc etc.
I am not saying the Pies were not the best side last year but the reality is I don’t know anymore.
It’s simply not a fair comp now.

I can honestly say that in the modern game I honestly don’t know if the best side wins the flag anymore. So much comes down to what happened in the compromised fixture, who played who twice etc etc.
I am not saying the Pies were not the best side last year but the reality is I don’t know anymore.

As opposed to when back in the day was it a fair competition?

We all know it's not a fair comp, hasn't been since the vfl expanded, has been explained eleventy gazillion times.

Funny enough it would be a more equal crowd at a 60k venue. At the G the home vic sides gets to fill up the ground with its home supporters after the ticket allocation and hence the around 70-30 split each and every time a Vuc club plays a non vic club at the G.

Saying that I am a huge fan of the G, just think ticketing should be done far differently.
The Granny is the most neutral crowd of the final series.

And if you need the crowd to get you up for the Granny, there's something wrong.

The dimensions are the big thing with the MCG home ground advantage - with the Cats and the Adelaide teams being the most disadvantaged, because their long thin grounds make the game different - less space to spread the defence sideways for run and carry - you need to have good talls and be strong down the line. Collingwood, Tiges and Dogs wouldn't have won grannies on the Adelaide Oval or Kardinia Park. Hawks and Cats would have won their flags on the moon.

During this stretch where Vic's have dominated premierships, if it have been home finals including granny, Adelaide would have probably won one, Cats woukd have probably won an extra 3.

Fixturing and travel plays a big part. Freo have had two consecutive matches in Adelaide. Inexplicably our next game (The Derby) is an away game for us. We have the priveledge of playing in Alice Springs and Launceston this season. Send a bloody Melbourne team to Launceston, we spent years playing down there promoting the game, it was rubbish for us and then the Tassie Government turns around and requested another Melbourne club to play down there instead of us. Great, however we still get fixtured down there to play the tenant clubs. They can * right off.

I'm interested, what changes would you like to see to equalise the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back