List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I think Garcia will get a game this weekend with Libba out, hopefully he answers the question.
WA boy Riley Garcia has been named for the Dogs on Thursday, worth a watch but hopefully not as the sub. Would definitely be interested if he maintains anything close to his VFL form and stays fit.

Last edited:

Here is a proposal for Crows. We end up with 2 and them 9. Curtin and 9 for 2? Who says no?

Crows likely say no as they could have had our F1 for Curtin last year so giving up 9 would be embarrassing

Way too soon to be talking splitting. Bottom 4 is becoming clearer with Norf, Hawks, Tigers and us looking strong favourites. 1 or 2 is a lot better than 4 which likely becomes 5 (Levi impact)

We need to see what our 4th midfielder needs to be to round off Hewett, Ginbey, Harley. I’m thinking at this stage a ball magnet. Smilie O’Sullivan and Smith are looking like great options so sitting put and picking with a pointy end pick sounds good. We seem to be assembling some outside run and carry and really keen to see how Burgiel goes and use this year to find out if Noah can take the step up into midfield rotations. Chesser is improving but feels like a class level well below Hewett/Ginbey/Harley

Not sure I'd be looking to offload a top 3 pick and agree I feel we are one mid short of a great quartet.

A smooth operator like a Josh Kelly or Noah Anderson would be my preference. They can't be that hard to find :drunk: but I'm on the best available midfielder bandwagon.

This off season will be an interesting watch with the new list manager.

One mid to late first rounder for Tommy.
That's a no from me.

From the HS

WHO NEEDS A KEY DEFENDER?

Clubs on the Eastern Seaboard will again desperately try to lure West Coast premiership player Tom Barrass out of the club as they scour the competition for established key backs.

With most star backs on long-term deals and clubs already sniffing about a weak mid-season draft, they will again ask about Barrass’s future.

Many have already inquired this year and industry sources believe the Dogs are one club who would love another established key back like Barrass.

He shapes as one of the very few players with trade currency if West Coast’s new list boss Matthew Clark wants to enhance the club’s draft hand.

The 28-year-old would be worthy of a first-round pick but he and his fiance Nadia Rosa have two young children in Perth and would be unlikely to consider a trade request.

Sydney made a concerted bid for him last season.
But he has three seasons on a deal of at least $750,000, is a premiership player and like Eliot Yeo is very happy at the Eagles.
I’d happily take Sydney’s R1 and end 1R for Barrass and North Melbourne’s 2R for B Williams.
These are the only two players with currency we would conceivably trade and even then the only way it happens is if TB wants to uproot his young family and chase another flag or BWilliams wants to return to Vic on an upgraded contract having only just signed one. Both are extremely unlikely.

I reckon we will split (Crows/Freo/GC) being the clubs most likely as trade partners.

I don’t think Hawks or Roos will split as they need a sure things up the top. Richmond might depending who leaves and compo.
Roos will be absolutely desperate for Smillie and he fits their selection criteria of being either a mid or HFF. His size is a point of difference to their existing mids, especially if they expect LDU to leave next year.

Smilie at 1, FOS at 2 and Jagga at 5. We stand to get an A grade mid with our first.

Luke Trainor at 4. Lets hope he has a great season so the likes of Norf and Hawks have a tough decision on their hands.

Malakai Champion at 10. Shhhhhhh.
Shocked Champion at 10, hasn't done anything this season.
Murphy Reid is missing from top 20.

Shocked Champion at 10, hasn't done anything this season.
Murphy Reid is missing from top 20.
Champion wouldn’t be top 30, let alone top 10. Early doors, there’s a lot of players between 15-30 that would be difficult to split, can’t wait for the championships.

Trading in Curtin somehow and get Champion after pick 20 would be a good draft hand ....still have pick 9 from the post above suggestion after trade of pick 2 for Curtin and pick 9 .
Won't happen , Curtin sounds like a great athlete would be a handy WA acquisition.
Unlikely to happen.

Trading in Curtin somehow and get Champion after pick 20 would be a good draft hand ....still have pick 9 from the post above suggestion after trade of pick 2 for Curtin and pick 9 .
Won't happen , Curtin sounds like a great athlete would be a handy WA acquisition.
Unlikely to happen.
Agreed unlikely but a few more things at play here. Crows would want to get in front of the Welsh bid (depending what these new matching rules are) they are also desperate for a genuine star mid. Can get that here and another top 10 draft pick (Father son). Like I said I’m not so sure Hawks or Roos would trade out of the top 3.

Hell no. We still need a preferable outside mid.

Pick 9 is soo low. The cutoff is like pick 7. Worst case is Moraes/Jagga/Draper are all gone by then.
I’d be happy with the 2024 Caleb Windsor in that range. Was big on him early in the year but he just kept shooting up the draft board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This draft is wide open atm.

A group of 4 or 5 who could go 1 or 2. Then later on from 12 to 20 very even.

No idea if splitting is the way to go.

FOS sounds like a Whitfield type ball user. But I'd prefer more contested types with an edge. Jagga, Smillie and Draper fit that. Like the sound of a couple of manic inside defensive mids.

Some interesting types around 8 to 15. Bo Allen I like the sound of.

Since it’s about you guys

Eddie's comments are 100% correct and whilst I get Matthews' stance, English could be 1 concussion off an early retirement. Can't really begrudge him for not going full Jono Brown and recklessly throwing himself at every contest, just to get knocked out.

On the FA side, I think the Flynn signing(despite the current injury) probably indicates WCE's interest in English has definitely waned.

Personally i want Draper.
I think he would be a great fit in our midfield with his agility and speed.

Also get the feeling he'd be another guy to really buy in.
From what i read, he is also a natural leader and seems to bring the team along and revel in the big moments.

And with good young core, i think those qualities would work well into the future for us.

I know this is not everyone cup of tea, but what is happening with Denver Grainger-Barras?

Is he likely to be let go by the Hawks, and can we pick him up as rookie or next to nothing pick? I know he hasnt had the best time over there, but there is chance he might just need a new environment....

Thats not to suggest we shouldn't go for Busslinger, just think we try and get both? And both will fill a positional need.

Eddie's comments are 100% correct and whilst I get Matthews' stance, English could be 1 concussion off an early retirement. Can't really begrudge him for not going full Jono Brown and recklessly throwing himself at every contest, just to get knocked out.

On the FA side, I think the Flynn signing(despite the current injury) probably indicates WCE's interest in English has definitely waned.
I like the Flynn inclusion. He won’t be a world beater. He’ll nullify the top tier ruckmens influence and have the odd real dominant game here there. More importantly he will be way more competitive that BW around stoppages around the ground. An elite ruckmen is good to have but I’m on the camp of they’re cherry on top players. Only 3 AA ruckmen in the last two odd years have won a premiership

I know this is not everyone cup of tea, but what is happening with Denver Grainger-Barras?

Is he likely to be let go by the Hawks, and can we pick him up as rookie or next to nothing pick? I know he hasnt had the best time over there, but there is chance he might just need a new environment....

Thats not to suggest we shouldn't go for Busslinger, just think we try and get both? And both will fill a positional need.

He’s been injured since early this year with turf toe and is still 5-6 weeks away apparently

Out of contract this year and would come cheap, possibly as a DFA if Hawthorn delist him

Question would be is there enough list spots to make room for him and are we better off persisting with someone like Harry Edwards

He’s shown very little so far so not sure it’s worth bothering

Aren’t freo short of kpd depth too? They might be heavily into him too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back