No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I have said for ages that the afl should increase the football department cap and/or fund additional coaching for struggling teams to help them improve rather than throw 18 year old kids at the problem as if somehow they can lift a side up on their own.
Should just increase cap spending across the league. More money for development of players means a stronger league.

North’s been arguing against soft cap increases for years. They shouldn’t be the only one to reap the benefit of a cap increase.

they won't get any more support than they get now. Tasmanians want a Tasmanian team, not an imported team that's rebranded.
AFL Would end up subsidizing them even more.
Give them the 12 players the Lions gave to the Bears when Fitzroy folded and move on. It will still be the Devils and the Roos will be gone.
The Devils cherry pick who they want, thats the mature bodies they need, still get assistance for the first 3 years with an increased list size and additional ND picks but if North can't stand on their own feet and keep making idiotic decisions in the ND, then they are lost beyond help. They have no KPP's currently and based upon comments from many of the Coates League observers, would have known that this year wasn't going to help them either yet they still chose more midfielders.
I get 'best available' but when you have a clear and obvious deficiency, you have to think deeply about how to rectify that deficiency.

Give them the 12 players the Lions gave to the Bears when Fitzroy folded and move on. It will still be the Devils and the Roos will be gone.
The Devils cherry pick who they want, thats the mature bodies they need, still get assistance for the first 3 years with an increased list size and additional ND picks but if North can't stand on their own feet and keep making idiotic decisions in the ND, then they are lost beyond help. They have no KPP's currently and based upon comments from many of the Coates League observers, would have known that this year wasn't going to help them either yet they still chose more midfielders.
I get 'best available' but when you have a clear and obvious deficiency, you have to think deeply about how to rectify that deficiency.
yep, the Lions/Bears model is exactly what I'm thinking for North.

Start the Devils, and then merge North with them...whether they become the Roos, or stay Devils, I don't care.

19 teams doesn't mean any extra games, so it's worth nothing in TV rights to have 19 teams instead of 18, plus we get to witness the death of the Shinbeggars, which I think we all agree is a good thing.

**** their eternal shitfulness

Start the Devils, and then merge North with them...whether they become the Roos, or stay Devils, I don't care.

19 teams doesn't mean any extra games, so it's worth nothing in TV rights to have 19 teams instead of 18, plus we get to witness the death of the Shinbeggars, which I think we all agree is a good thing.

* their eternal shitfulness
We could combine the Roos and Tassie Devils and come up with a new name. I've even thought of a jumper.

jumper 2.jpeg

That’s not exactly right. There’ll be an extra 11 or 12 games a year (depending how they cut it with gather round).

That’s not exactly right. There’ll be an extra 11 or 12 games a year (depending how they cut it with gather round).
I must be missing something. How?

Image 30-4-2024 at 7.16 PM.jpeg I saw this earlier on the Herald Sun front page. Robbed a 65-year-old lady in her house in September 2022. He's been sentenced to 3 years and 5 months behind bars (I imagine it takes into account his last 18 months in custody waiting to be sentenced).The article says he will be eligible for parole in September 2024, but that might mean September 2025 or 2026 instead.

If I'm honest, I hope to never read his name ever again. I hope he can somehow get his life together one day.

It will, as 19 will become 20…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must be missing something. How?
For simplicity I’ll go with the old 22 round system.

All 18 teams play 22 games a season. As there are 2 x teams a game that’s 198 games.

19 teams with 22 games a season = 209 games.

To do this, we’ll need an extra 2 x rounds every year with each team having 2 byes throughout the year. It’s likely we’ll have some weeks where 3 teams (or more) will have a bye.

For simplicity I’ll go with the old 22 round system.

All 18 teams play 22 games a season. As there are 2 x teams a game that’s 198 games.

19 teams with 22 games a season = 209 games.

To do this, we’ll need an extra 2 x rounds every year with each team having 2 byes throughout the year. It’s likely we’ll have some weeks where 3 teams (or more) will have a bye.
Or they may just keep the same season length, with 9 games a week, and a bye.

An extra team doesn't, in itself, mean there will be more games, as there is 9 games per round regardless of 18 or 19 teams

If they choose to tweak it to have more games, as above, they could...but they could do that anyway, with 18 or 19....as they've just arbitrarily added Gather Round last year.

Or they may just keep the same season length, with 9 games a week, and a bye.

An extra team doesn't, in itself, mean there will be more games, as there is 9 games per round regardless of 18 or 19 teams

If they choose to tweak it to have more games, as abve, they could...but they could do that anyway, with 18 or 19.
Ok but then you’ll end up with some teams playing 21 games and some 22. And some teams having 1 bye and others 2.

Either way, with 19 teams, we’ll need either an extra 11 games for the year, or 11 less (and every team plays 1 less game for the year). AFL have already said it will be 11 more and it’s partly what is paying for everything.

Ok but then you’ll end up with some teams playing 21 games and some 22. And some teams having 1 bye and others 2.

Either way, with 19 teams, we’ll need either an extra 11 games for the year, or 11 less (and every team plays 1 less game for the year). AFL have already said it will be 11 more and it’s partly what is paying for everything.
Oh yeah, I get it now.

After every team has played each other once, (18 games) you either need 4 or 6 extra games for each team; it has to be an even number to get an uneven number of teams playing the same amount fof games.

So, yeah, they'd more likely go to 6 for the extra revenue.

Sorry, maths sometimes gets me out of whack

While Geelong contemplates bringing Tarryn Thomas back into the fold - joke of a league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back