My Grand Final Day

Remove this Banner Ad

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
To try and lift the spirits around here, I thought I'd tell you all how my Grand Final day happened. From excitement to disappointment without even entering the ground.

Mods feel free to delete.

After having a sleepless night due to being nervous and excited for the big day, I didn't get any sleep at all. I got out of bed at 6:30am, did the usual stuff, shower/breakfast etc and caught the train to the MCG. If you're wondering why I went to the ground this early, it's because I'm a Restricted MCC Member. You have to be a Full MCC Member to get into the game, but if the MCC section of the ground isn't full by a certain time, they sometimes let some of the Restricted Members go in, although you still have to purchase a ticket. I arrived at the ground just before 8:30am. Me being me, I didn't even realize there was a line for people in my situation, so I didn't line up, instead I called a few of my friends and purchased a new freo scarf. I saw my dad at the ground and he told me that if I manage to get in, he's already reserved a seat for me. My dad pointed out that I had to line up, so I did and I was probably about the 90th person in line. I stood in exactly the same spot around 90 minutes, as you get told at 10am if Restricted Members are allowed in or not. 10am finally came, but it was bad news. They said 'we can't let anyone in at this stage, as there's only a few hundred seats left and we have to give the Full Members more time to access them, so a decision will be made at 12pm'. Everyone in line was questioning whether to stay or go, but for me it was an easy decision. I desperately wanted to see us. So I stood in exactly the same spot for another two hours, desperately needing to go to the toilet but not wanting to lose my spot. I waited all that time, only to get the terrible news that there isn't going to be enough room for Restricted Members, as they're expecting every seat to be taken. As you could imagine I was devastated. I called my friends and my dad to tell them the bad news that I wont be going in with them and started walking to the train station to head home.

At the train station and off course to top off my crap start to the day, my train was cancelled and the second train was late.
(12:46pm) On the train, just one more train stop away from my destination and my friend calls me saying he's friend has a spare ticket and wants to sell it to me at gate price ($185). I couldn't believe it, he just kept yelling 'come back, come back, get off the f***ing train and get back here!' Finally, some luck was going my way.

(1:30pm) I'm back at the ground and outside Gate 5 with my friend, still is disbelief. I met his friend, who happened to be a pretty hot chick :thumbsu:, so it was a double win! I handed her the money and she bought us some beers to have just before the game.

(2:30pm) Bounce down and I'm pumped. But off course, I've got the smartasses of all smartasses sitting right behind me. They complained at every single little thing and kept giving it to all our players, there insults weren't even the slightest bit funny, but they found it hilarious. After 5 minutes I wanted to knock them out, but obviously I didn't. I was very tempted to tell them to shut up and let other people enjoy the game, but I knew that wouldn't do anything as their too immature to actually listen.

(Half time) I couldn't get out of that area quicker, had to get away from the piss and poo smartasses that were behind me. At the start of the third quarter I just stood somewhere else to watch it, but then security told me I wasn't allowed there and had to go back to my seat. I went back and those smartasses were no longer there, instead there were freo supporters :) and there were freo supporters right next to me now too :D.

That's how my day was, mixed emotions and even heartbreak before the first bounce. There's more to the story, but I don't wanna bore you too much about that stuff.

Shout out to all the fans there, was great to see the purple haze! Being a Melbourne boy, I've never seen so many freo fans in my life, it was terrific. Seeing the G covered in purple was beautiful.

Where do I start .....

I was part of the Fokker crew who did the one day mission, thankfully I got to the airport on time at it was only purple haze within the terminal - great start.
landed in Melbourne and straight on a bus to the ground.
Straight in and up to M10 standing room for some pre game FULL STRENGTH frothies.
Met up with a cousin who'd scored a last minute seated ticket in the middle of the atmosphere so he decided to stay in standing room with us, conveniently close to all amenities and right in amongst some passionate fans from both teams.
Had great in depth conversation with Hawks supporters - discussed all things footy and why we thought our respective teams may win/lose on the day, really good banter.
And then, from nowhere a small group of freo supporters in our area started singing some of the funniest chants I've ever heard. These guys were great, they had songs for Balla's, Crowls, Son-son and even coach Lyon. All the hawks guys around us were enjoying it and then it went next level when the standing box next to ours (which was full of hawks guys) started singing chants of their own about Roughie, Cyril, buddy etc.
Just classic memories I'll cherish for ever, there was so much good natured support in the standing area it was awesome - if I ever go to a GF again I'll be doing it standing without a doubt.
game finishes, our block of freo supporters shared handshakes and high fives with hawks supporters, much spilling of beer between all parties and just good times all round. Chatting again to them post game the hawks fellas near us were just gob-smacked at how our fans behaved and supported our team. They were saying the comraderie between us all just never happens between two Vic based teams or other GF's they'd been to and they couldn't help but join in the fun and let their guard down. I explained to them that after 19 years of highs and lows we know how to appreciate the good times and we dam sure celebrate it without aggro or malice.

What amazed me most on the day was just the volume of purple colour everywhere at the ground and the noise of the chant - because standing room was under a concrete tier had a huge echo so not sure if it was actually as loud out in the bleachers but it was MASSIVE where we were.
After the game I only witnessed smiles and good vibe outside the G, thankfully didn't see any bad behaviour ( other than our own pissy antics of trying to take hangers over 12 year old kids playing kick to kick ).

One last little nugget to leave you all with, my bro and I dressed in freo gear wandering around the carpark waiting for our bus home with no means of buying anymore beer at the ground ( all outlets shut up when the free concert started ) walked up to one of many hawks 'trailer parties' where groups of guys were having beers. Desperate to keep our vibe up I offered them $10 for 2 beers. The hawks boys said "full or half strength mate ?" Full, was my immediate reply as I handed him a tenner. He gave us the beers then said "hang on mate, here's your change" only to give us the $10 back !!
Legendary work, that epitomised our trip to the 'G'

One last little nugget to leave you all with, my bro and I dressed in freo gear wandering around the carpark waiting for our bus home with no means of buying anymore beer at the ground ( all outlets shut up when the free concert started ) walked up to one of many hawks 'trailer parties' where groups of guys were having beers. Desperate to keep our vibe up I offered them $10 for 2 beers. The hawks boys said "full or half strength mate ?" Full, was my immediate reply as I handed him a tenner. He gave us the beers then said "hang on mate, here's your change" only to give us the $10 back !!
Legendary work, that epitomised our trip to the 'G'

This was really cool to read mate. Walking home through the cars, seeing people have a few beers in the back of cars was like something from an era of footy I never experienced – that kind of s**t is usually shut down now, but it's nice to know that Grand Final day... anything goes on Grand Final day. It's nice to see good things and footy camaraderie.

I never buy the s**t food at the footy. But I was too nervous to have something before the game, so had to grab a bite at the 'G... I was 20 cents short, not wanting to break my $50, and the Hawks fan behind me gave me 20. Less charitable than your story, and it's 20 cents, but it was something that I found pretty endearing. It's supposed to be a heated, high-stakes day, but it's usually the opposite. As I said to him "if it weren't the Grand Final, I'd say good luck!"

I was in standing M10 as well.

We were on the left hand side ( facing ground ) of the left hand podium which was predominantly freo supporters - I was the tall guy checkered long sleeve shirt with freo jumper on ( duh ) , most recognisable trait being my double handed , twin barrel drinking style :)

To try and lift the spirits around here, I thought I'd tell you all how my Grand Final day happened. From excitement to disappointment without even entering the ground.

Mods feel free to delete.

After having a sleepless night due to being nervous and excited for the big day, I didn't get any sleep at all. I got out of bed at 6:30am, did the usual stuff, shower/breakfast etc and caught the train to the MCG. If you're wondering why I went to the ground this early, it's because I'm a Restricted MCC Member. You have to be a Full MCC Member to get into the game, but if the MCC section of the ground isn't full by a certain time, they sometimes let some of the Restricted Members go in, although you still have to purchase a ticket. I arrived at the ground just before 8:30am. Me being me, I didn't even realize there was a line for people in my situation, so I didn't line up, instead I called a few of my friends and purchased a new freo scarf. I saw my dad at the ground and he told me that if I manage to get in, he's already reserved a seat for me. My dad pointed out that I had to line up, so I did and I was probably about the 90th person in line. I stood in exactly the same spot around 90 minutes, as you get told at 10am if Restricted Members are allowed in or not. 10am finally came, but it was bad news. They said 'we can't let anyone in at this stage, as there's only a few hundred seats left and we have to give the Full Members more time to access them, so a decision will be made at 12pm'. Everyone in line was questioning whether to stay or go, but for me it was an easy decision. I desperately wanted to see us. So I stood in exactly the same spot for another two hours, desperately needing to go to the toilet but not wanting to lose my spot. I waited all that time, only to get the terrible news that there isn't going to be enough room for Restricted Members, as they're expecting every seat to be taken. As you could imagine I was devastated. I called my friends and my dad to tell them the bad news that I wont be going in with them and started walking to the train station to head home.

At the train station and off course to top off my crap start to the day, my train was cancelled and the second train was late.
(12:46pm) On the train, just one more train stop away from my destination and my friend calls me saying he's friend has a spare ticket and wants to sell it to me at gate price ($185). I couldn't believe it, he just kept yelling 'come back, come back, get off the f***ing train and get back here!' Finally, some luck was going my way.

(1:30pm) I'm back at the ground and outside Gate 5 with my friend, still is disbelief. I met his friend, who happened to be a pretty hot chick :thumbsu:, so it was a double win! I handed her the money and she bought us some beers to have just before the game.

(2:30pm) Bounce down and I'm pumped. But off course, I've got the smartasses of all smartasses sitting right behind me. They complained at every single little thing and kept giving it to all our players, there insults weren't even the slightest bit funny, but they found it hilarious. After 5 minutes I wanted to knock them out, but obviously I didn't. I was very tempted to tell them to shut up and let other people enjoy the game, but I knew that wouldn't do anything as their too immature to actually listen.

(Half time) I couldn't get out of that area quicker, had to get away from the piss and poo smartasses that were behind me. At the start of the third quarter I just stood somewhere else to watch it, but then security told me I wasn't allowed there and had to go back to my seat. I went back and those smartasses were no longer there, instead there were freo supporters :) and there were freo supporters right next to me now too :D.

That's how my day was, mixed emotions and even heartbreak before the first bounce. There's more to the story, but I don't wanna bore you too much about that stuff.

Shout out to all the fans there, was great to see the purple haze! Being a Melbourne boy, I've never seen so many freo fans in my life, it was terrific. Seeing the G covered in purple was beautiful.

ahhh so maybe you jinxed us!!! it looked like the gods were trying to keep you away from the game..maybe the girl was like Eve and she tempted you with the apple??? I'm giving you a dirty stare at the moment ;)

ahhh so maybe you jinxed us!!! it looked like the gods were trying to keep you away from the game..maybe the girl was like Eve and she tempted you with the apple??? I'm giving you a dirty stare at the moment ;)
I may of jinxed us. I wore a new freo scarf that day. I also sat in a different section than I usually do. Sorry guys, that's my bad.

We were on the left hand side ( facing ground ) of the left hand podium which was predominantly freo supporters - I was the tall guy checkered long sleeve shirt with freo jumper on ( duh ) , most recognisable trait being my double handed , twin barrel drinking style :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 56
I am glad you enjoyed your time in M10, all us guys next to you in m9, stand in that bay every week, have for years. Except for the GF's.

Meet some really great Freo supporters who forked out mass amounts of cash just to be there. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Melbourne, I might have to make the trip your way next season.
Good luck for next year.

I am glad you enjoyed your time in M10, all us guys next to you in m9, stand in that bay every week, have for years. Except for the GF's.

Meet some really great Freo supporters who forked out mass amounts of cash just to be there. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Melbourne, I might have to make the trip your way next season.
Good luck for next year.

I'm sue we can accommodate a tennis legend. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back