Ballantyne wants out - Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Prime reason we lost the 13GF was cos of too many players consistently not delivering in huge moments. Look at last night, the Dogs won cos JJ, Picken, Bont etc delivered in the pressure cooker, moreso than GWS did.

As harsh and simplistic as it is, this measurement trumps all others for mine. To genuinely contend again we need to purge the half a dozen that fit this bill. More than OK with Ballas leaving.

Dickson was bloody handy. If he kicked straight against hawks hed have 12 goals this series.

Prime reason we lost the 13GF was cos of too many players consistently not delivering in huge moments. Look at last night, the Dogs won cos JJ, Picken, Bont etc delivered in the pressure cooker, moreso than GWS did.

As harsh and simplistic as it is, this measurement trumps all others for mine. To genuinely contend again we need to purge the half a dozen that fit this bill. More than OK with Ballas leaving.

Always was my issue with trying to draft some form of kpf saviour and blowing squidillions on salary and draft picks. We had a huge need for years to upgrade 5-6 of our lower order players into decent players, otherwise the ball get's turned over before it get's to <insert stars name here>.

The Dogs won because of two things...

1) Callan Ward getting knocked out. He was a large influence. And more of an influence than Bulldogs Roughead.

2) Stevie J getting suspended. No sympathy but you've got to feel he would have got them over that line.

Bonts was huge again though...two years time he'll win the Brownlow I reckon.

1) Callan Ward getting knocked out. He was a large influence. And more of an influence than Bulldogs Roughead.

2) Stevie J getting suspended. No sympathy but you've got to feel he would have got them over that line.

What about the dogs missing bob murphy? Missing your ruckman against Mumford can't be underrated either.

Disagree completely mate. The dogs went in with only Boyd and Roughy as realistic ruck options, Cordy at a stretch. GWS have a very deep midfield and should have been able to cover for the loss of Ward. Mumford wasn't able to assert any real dominance on the game and gave the dogs every opportunity to win the clearances themselves. Roughy going down was pretty big, Dogs were just lucky Boyd was able to compete against Mumford for the entire second half.

Disagree completely mate. The dogs went in with only Boyd and Roughy as realistic ruck options, Cordy at a stretch. GWS have a very deep midfield and should have been able to cover for the loss of Ward. Mumford wasn't able to assert any real dominance on the game and gave the dogs every opportunity to win the clearances themselves. Roughy going down was pretty big, Dogs were just lucky Boyd was able to compete against Mumford for the entire second half.
I dont think is lucky , is well prepared if anything go wrong . Remember how richmond kill freo last season without winning thr ruck division, where johnson is injured during the match.

That's all good. Thought Boyd competed well against Mummy and therefore Roughead wasn't a great loss (he was getting involved in some fair niggle prior to his injury)

BUT

Ward is the epitome of calm and composure and when he left they lost a heck of a lot of structure coming off the half back. The Dogs tied it in the 50 for LONGGGG periods.

Stevie J lost them the X Factor he brings - as much as I laugh at him not getting the late premiership he craved- hope next years similar

Had Robert Murphy been there for the dogs he would have balanced Ward.....but he wasn't and when Ward went the Giants couldn't get back.

In saying that Cameron and Shield were poorer than usual..

Yep after that game I said we have seen the gf winners and went out and backed them. Apart from that extremely poor GWS performance my mind has not been swayed.
I thought the same. Never seen a better drilled side across the board. Hawthorn had better offensive counter punch spread setup and our defensive and forward press setup in 2013 were the pinnacle in those aspects. Swans though are well set up in every area. Defence, defence at stoppages, spread from stoppages, creating space in the forward line... it goes on.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-n...en-ballantyne-deal-nears-20160930-grs2mn.html

"WAtoday understands West Coast will offer a third-round draft pick for Ballantyne, which Fremantle is expected to accept, with the 2014 All-Australian to be given a two-year contract with prospects for a third depending on performances."

West Coast's current round 3 draft pick is currently pick 48. Think Ballantyne is worth more than that lousy pick!

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-n...en-ballantyne-deal-nears-20160930-grs2mn.html

"WAtoday understands West Coast will offer a third-round draft pick for Ballantyne, which Fremantle is expected to accept, with the 2014 All-Australian to be given a two-year contract with prospects for a third depending on performances."

West Coast's current round 3 draft pick is currently pick 48. Think Ballantyne is worth more than that lousy pick!

Sadly I don't think this deal is that far off. What I don't get is why Ballantyne would move for this deal? By all reports he was offered a one year extension on his current contract. So basically both deals take him to the end of 2018 only the Eagles have the prospect of a 3rd depending on performances, which Ballas would've been offered if he performed for Freo.

Meh, cuts an aging player from our list and we take 48 to the draft and land a Goddard or Strandica type. Maybe someone slides like Liam Ryan.

I can't see what else we could get from Eagles. 30 is too high. Upgrades don't give us an extra pick. Can't see him moving interstate for an extra guaranteed year, so no one will trump that offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to improve our picks so that may just have to do, plus I think the club is really over Ballas now. But I am sure the club will also throw it open to the interstate clubs and see if we can get a better deal as he is under contract.

Agree. All I saw was a highly skilled, methodical team get done by a less skilled team that brought manic pressure and tackling, with one more man always near the contest, and forcing the ball to remain down their end as much as possible. So, basically what Freo were doing in 2013 and why we beat more skilled teams and got to the GF.

Sadly I don't think this deal is that far off. What I don't get is why Ballantyne would move for this deal? By all reports he was offered a one year extension on his current contract. So basically both deals take him to the end of 2018 only the Eagles have the prospect of a 3rd depending on performances, which Ballas would've been offered if he performed for Freo.

Meh, cuts an aging player from our list and we take 48 to the draft and land a Goddard or Strandica type. Maybe someone slides like Liam Ryan.

I can't see what else we could get from Eagles. 30 is too high. Upgrades don't give us an extra pick. Can't see him moving interstate for an extra guaranteed year, so no one will trump that offer.
Yep, pick 30 two years ago, but we have seem very little output from him in seasons 2015 and 2016. He's possibly lost that extra bit of speed and fire which gave him the edge and the multiple goals. 48 is probably reflective of output for them the next year or so.

IF: We get rid of a 29 year old fwd pocket that kicks bugger all goals, in exchange for a 21-22 year old KPF, that kicked 33 goals in 12 games and got home sick.

THEN: we may have pulled off 2 absolute top quality talent bargains in 2 yrs. Fingers crossed.

Possibly the difference in our next flag push.

Geez i should be an AFL.com.au Journo ;-)

Didn't mind reading this piece of oxymoron gold.

"Fremantle Dockers free agent Zac Clarke and dumped emerging big man Jack Hannath are understood to have also been considered as recruiting targets as the Eagles desperately search for ruck talent as Naitanui and Lycett convalesce."

I would be surprised if Freo got McCarthy for pick 48. Won't happen.
GWS already have 5 picks before 48 and that's before any deal they do for Marchbank so every chance they wouldn't even use 48 and if they did use a 6th pick they have 51 which is not much different to 48

I'm not saying what McCarthy is worth because I don't know but the reality is pick 48 holds no value to them. And probably neither does 39 for that matter as their 5th pick is currently 33

Remove this Banner Ad

Back