Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't blame him, but the coach is involved in directing list managers on what he needs, and it is clear talent became a desert under his tutelage. Very little between Neale and Brayshaw, a six year stretch that dwarfs the worst of the 90s.

Our last quality forward was recruited by Phil Smart while Harvey was coach: Walters.

Very true

The 2013 GF team had 9 players in it recruited in the three year stretch between 07-09: Mayne, Hill, Ballas, Suban, Clarke, Walters, De Boer, Fyfe, Barlow - also missing those who may have been worthy contributors had they not got injured like Palmer and Morabito, and Ibbotson who would have played had he not been injured late in 2013. Even someone like Kepler Bradley, who was drafted in 2007, may have played the GF had he not done his knee.

The question I have never seen answered is why a three year stretch under a coach widely seen as a joke was the most productive in Freo's history in terms of recruitment? Why was it not done before, and why hasn't it been replicated since?
It's a good point you make and I don't have good answers. But as to why hasn't it been replicated since 2009, some contributors out of our control would include years of compromised drafts in the early 2010's for expansion teams, and then the commencement of free agency in the early 2010s which has favoured Vic teams. And we're still probably 10 years off there being an even chance of father-sons. None of these are reasons to avoid questioning our own competence, but some things have lined up against us.

It's a good point you make and I don't have good answers. But as to why hasn't it been replicated since 2009, some contributors out of our control would include years of compromised drafts in the early 2010's for expansion teams, and then the commencement of free agency in the early 2010s which has favoured Vic teams. And we're still probably 10 years off there being an even chance of father-sons. None of these are reasons to avoid questioning our own competence, but some things have lined up against us.
Then there's the next generation academy's where after we had 1 top pick the rules were changed.

No doubt it hasn't been easy. But we haven't been strategic in any sense, and underperformed the comp for non-Vic teams.

I agree that post 2006 it has been slim pickings for non-Vic teams. Two premierships from 2007-2022, whereas from the previous 16 years 1991-2006 non-Vics had 10 premierships. The Demetriou era and since was incredibly biased towards Victorian teams.

Or we could own our own early draft pick rubbish for years,

• Simpson
  • Sheridan
  • Apeness
  • Balic
  • Dixon
  • Valente

Nothing's changed since the years of Michie, Mellington and Pitt.

Add in our habit of trading in (or way over paying in free agency) for each new messiah
  • Cam Macarthy
  • Col Slyvia
  • Jesse Hogan
  • Lobb

Nothing's changed since the years of Michie, Mellington and Pitt.
That was a single year.

The problem was Lloyd was a terrible recruiter and we made a colossal mistake letting "work from home" in Melbourne. We should have called time on him after the Josh Simpson debacle. All our current problems (and problems under Lyon) stem from his inability to identify talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back