Ballantyne wants out - Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

What rebuild? They haven't made finals. Their best players are fairly old. Riewoldt, Montagna, Armitage. Only have a sprinkling of good mid career players. Josh Bruce, Jack Steven. Then a lot of unproven youngsters.

I'd look at the Bulldogs as a guide.

Other than some good drafting and trading decisions the biggest step in the right direction for the Bulldogs was to sack McCarthy to get Beverage a bit like us with Harvey to get Ross. I'm not entirely sure that the Saints got the best that they could get in Richardson but hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess.

This whole drama with Ballas has left me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth if I'm being honest. I know it's probably all his manager being a campaigner but now I'm quite happy for him to be traded. Don't wish the little man any ill will, but I definitely concede he's not part of the future. I agree that it's frustrating to think that Barlow might be pushed out and Danyle and Suban will still be on the books. How long has Suban got left on his contract?

Agree. Especially the bolded. I've always loved Ballas for some reason I'm a bit meh about losing him. The only way I can explain why I feel this way is probably because his impact on games has reduced substantially. That, and he slips over all the bloody time...

Just on that, Ballas always takes his boots off as soon as the siren sounds. I wonder if he has feet issues that means he refuses/doesn't wear long stops. It's just a thought...

Perhaps he just doesn't fit in at the slime? Their culture can't get the best out of him like Sydney could? Management styles and all that crap. Anyway, just an idea - he's 2 years younger than Ballas and could fill a need provided he returns to form (bit like Hayden actually...)

Perfect world: Ballas stays, buys a new pair of boots with longer stops in the off-season and reproduces his 2014 form. :thumbsu:

Perhaps he just doesn't fit in at the slime? Their culture can't get the best out of him like Sydney could? Management styles and all that crap. Anyway, just an idea - he's 2 years younger than Ballas and could fill a need provided he returns to form (bit like Hayden actually...)

Perfect world: Ballas stays, buys a new pair of boots with longer stops in the off-season and reproduces his 2014 form. :thumbsu:
If they did that WC would fall over themselves to get B Hill then, I reckon.

Yeah 15 year rebuild. They are getting there I guess but it has taken way too long to be acceptable

15 year rebuild? Bigfooty maths eh?

Grand final in 2010.
Finals 2011.
12 wins this year and high chance to be in the 8 next year.

Don't see it, just not that much to get excited about. At best may rise into the 8 before falling again.

A bit like what other teams would say about our youngsters maybe.

15 year rebuild? Bigfooty maths eh?

Grand final in 2010.
Finals 2011.
12 wins this year and high chance to be in the 8 next year.

A bit like what other teams would say about our youngsters maybe.
Poetic licence. Needed some umph for effect.
5 yrs is above average. Should have made it this year at least. Probably last. Especially considering they were still getting high picks and access to good players in the psd when most of us were being thrown scraps (some good scraps fortunately) for 5 years during the expansion. People have been very tolerant of St Kilda's slow progress imho. If we take that long to get into the 8 our management will be lined up and shot.

Bad luck to him. He saw first hand what their club was like via their supporters treatment of him and Goodes and he still chose to go there.

He just wanted to come home and relax.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poetic licence. Needed some umph for effect.
5 yrs is above average. Should have made it this year at least. Probably last. Especially considering they were still getting high picks and access to good players in the psd when most of us were being thrown scraps (some good scraps fortunately) for 5 years during the expansion. People have been very tolerant of St Kilda's slow progress imho. If we take that long to get into the 8 our management will be lined up and shot.

We have more to work with than what had so hopefully it's less but I maintain that keeping guys like Ballantyne and Barlow who have value is crazy which means that guys like Suban and Pearce will stay.

Meh, this site allows the word 'NTTAWWT' to be freely used as an insult which I think is a bit of a disgrace. Crumpet Face by comparison is pretty harmless.

I had a mod message me after I mentioned that once on the MB. Apparently it's considered fine because 'purple NTTAWWTs' is a longstanding meme on the Bay.

I mean really, that's up there with a redneck from the deep south defending his right to say n*gger because it's been a longstanding part of his vocabulary.

I had a mod message me after I mentioned that once on the MB. Apparently it's considered fine because 'purple NTTAWWTs' is a longstanding meme on the Bay.

I mean really, that's up there with a redneck from the deep south defending his right to say n*gger because it's been a longstanding part of his vocabulary.

I find it almost staggering that it's allowed given how sensitive and PC a lot of the people that run this site often are in general. Whilst you often heard it when I was a kid at the footy now in this day and age it's not on, I'd be embarrassed around anyone yelling it out as an insult at a game. Yet it's no problem writing it on here..

Just on that, Ballas always takes his boots off as soon as the siren sounds. I wonder if he has feet issues that means he refuses/doesn't wear long stops. It's just a thought...
That's probably right. He had feet issues maybe fives years ago and was told by the trainers to run along the beach barefoot to strengthen them up.

Nah man.

Saints are in good shape. Definitely on the rise.

I think the moves they made have worked out.
Not sure if they are the model we should be following. Flogged by 100 by the Weagles and flogged by Gold Coast. Question marks still for mine. Just as likely to finish 12th next year than 6th.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I find it almost staggering that it's allowed given how sensitive and PC a lot of the people that run this site often are in general. Whilst you often heard it when I was a kid at the footy now in this day and age it's not on, I'd be embarrassed around anyone yelling it out as an insult at a game. Yet it's no problem writing it on here..

I used it a little while back and ImperialPurple , bless her, quite rightly called me out on it

Haven't used it since and yes given some of the s**t that's banned on here, including non offensive avatars, it's surprising that "NTTAWWT" is tolerated

Not sure if they are the model we should be following. Flogged by 100 by the Weagles and flogged by Gold Coast. Question marks still for mine. Just as likely to finish 12th next year than 6th.

My comment was clearly about the idea that it is a clear that our list strategy will be that 28+ year olds that we can get value for will be players that we will try and trade. This is what the Saints did and we are clearly what we are about to do.

Comments saying that Freo should get rid of D Pearce but keep Ballas and Barlow demonstrates that they don't understand this concept.

Pearce has little trade value while Ballas and Barlow do. That's why they are gawn.

We have more to work with than what had so hopefully it's less but I maintain that keeping guys like Ballantyne and Barlow who have value is crazy which means that guys like Suban and Pearce will stay.
We do have more to work with, if we can keep them fit. What we seem to lack in very large quantity is system and understanding. Watching Sydney last night made us look even worse. We need to go back to dotting some i's

We do have more to work with, if we can keep them fit. What we seem to lack in very large quantity is system and understanding. Watching Sydney last night made us look even worse. We need to go back to dotting some i's

They are extremely well drilled. It was obvious when they played us over here (Perth) how well structured and team orientated they are to follow their plan. As Ross pointed out last night, its numbers to the ball which is easy enough but then its having the players know where they need to be and when its their time to go to the contest and when not to. We were like bees to a honeypot at times this year. And our handball skills and intelligence was abysmal.

Comments saying that Freo should get rid of D Pearce but keep Ballas and Barlow demonstrates that they don't understand this concept.

I disagree. It might be that they disagree with the concept. Which they are entitled to. Not everyone has the inside knowledge you appear to have. I think Freo should keep Barlow and delist Pearce.

They are extremely well drilled. It was obvious when they played us over here (Perth) how well structured and team orientated they are to follow their plan. As Ross pointed out last night, its numbers to the ball which is easy enough but then its having the players know where they need to be and when its their time to go to the contest and when not to. We were like bees to a honeypot at times this year. And our handball skills and intelligence was abysmal.

Yep after that game I said we have seen the gf winners and went out and backed them. Apart from that extremely poor GWS performance my mind has not been swayed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back