2019 World Cup - Who should Australia select?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit far out, granted, but I feel we should be starting to base selections around who we think should be touring England next year.

Firstly I do think we should change the captain. Don't feel Smith is suited to ODI captaincy.
We desperately need to re-discover death bowling, Starc used to be a master at it but it's left him a little of late. Cummins is trash at it.

Zampa just doesn't keep the runs down enough in the middle overs, score of nearly every ball off him.
Is Lyon the answer? I think he may be, certainly trust him to go for less runs.

Who in the current squad shouldn't go to England?
Who out of the squad should?
Who should be the wicketkeeper?

What I'd give for Faulkner in form. He actually was a good death bowler.

What I'd give for Faulkner in form. He actually was a good death bowler.

Was he really out of form with the ball, or was he just not producing heroics with the bat anymore (given that was somewhat of a fish out of water role for him, as he's not usually an especially explosive batsman at state level - batting strike rate in the low 80s in non-ODI list A matches)?

With the ball, his last 10 ODIs were arguably better than his career ODI numbers:

Last 10 - 29.75 average, 30.44 strike rate, 5.86 economy rate
Career - 30.85 average, 33.45 strike rate, 5.53 economy rate

How big are the squads?

I’ll just make one up of probables candidates

Batsmen:

Finch
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Lynn
Hughes
Bailey
Shaun Marsh
Head

All Rounders:

Mitchell Marsh
Stoinis
Wildermuth
Faulkner

Wicket Keepers:

Paine
Carey

Bowlers

Starc
Hazelwood
Cummins
Lyon
Agar
Richardson
Behrendorf/Tye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to make a decision on Zampa soon. We need an over the wrist bowler, two preferably in case we break one and we have to decide whether to stick with him going forward or looking elsewhere.

The selectors seem to love Zampa for some reason but he's neither a wicket taker nor economical enough most of the time.

I wouldn't have him in the squad but no doubt he'll be in the 2019 conversation

The selectors seem to love Zampa for some reason but he's neither a wicket taker nor economical enough most of the time.

I wouldn't have him in the squad but no doubt he'll be in the 2019 conversation

He doesn't spin his leg break, which takes a lot of the fear away for the batsmen. They only really need to look out for the wrongun and then play the rest as straight breaks.

Watching Rashid last night and seeing the success of them in T20 I think they're incredibly damaging.

Yeah, if they're actually good.

We should play a leg spinner if they're good, not just because they're a leg spinner.

Last edited:
Lyon needs to be given an opportunity in ODI cricket before the tournament.

Smith should still stay captain. Who are your other candidates? Warner or Starc I guess.
Never minded the idea of Warner but Smith seems the leader of national cricket for a reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon needs to be given an opportunity in ODI cricket before the tournament.

Smith should still stay captain. Who are your other candidates? Warner or Starc I guess.
Never minded the idea of Warner but Smith seems the leader of national cricket for a reason.

Warner or Finch.

My side for the world cup.
Finch (VC)
Warner (C)
Smith
Stonis
Marsh
Maxwell
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood

Reserve
Lyon
Tye
Lynn
Khawaja
Turner

Stonis is killing is as a finisher but to me he is wasted down the order. To me he could build an innings for the side and can all so go big when towards the end.

Maxwell and Marsh could swap around and even though Maxwell has become a much more well rounded batsmen, i still like him as the lower order finisher.

Mitch seems to be improving a bit but he still struggles to rotate the strike and hence get out when the pressure builds up and therefore struggle to convert his good starts into bigger scores. If he cannot improve on that part of the game, then i would love to see Turner at 6. Not only is he a great pinch hitter but he also quick in between the wickets and has a habit of turning 1's into 2's and 2's into 3's. At full fitness he is awesome in the field as he can field just about anywhere and most importantly his Off spinner are more than handy if Smith needs to get through the overs quick.

Need Lynn to be fit and see what he does for Aus in ODI's in the next 12 months. Would also love to see him playing next seasons JLT ode day series as well.

1. Steve Smith (captain)
2. David Warner (vice captain)
3. Aaron Finch
4. Chris Lynn
5. Marcus Stoinis
6. Mitchell Marsh
7. Tim Paine
8. Mitchell Starc
9. Pat Cummins
10. Josh Hazlewood
11. Adam Zampa
12. Jhye Richardson