Why I think Eagles can win the premiership next year

Remove this Banner Ad

A full season of Yeo with a good pre season under his belt will help.
Rioli will be a massive in. The forward line should be the undisputed best in the league by a mile.

Settling the backline is important...

I think Edwards, Barrass and Gov should be in the same backline. Edwards/Barrass on the full forward, Gov Intercepting. Witho is the distributor.

Shep Edwards Barrass
Witherden Gov Hurn (Duggan bench)

The midfield is the puzzle to solve...

The current 'credits in the bank' line up is...

NN Yeo Kelly Shuey Sheed Gaff Redden

On paper this line up is amazing.... but for various reasons isn't working at capacity.
Do we play one of them as a part time half forward so we can add an extra mid... West SPS Edwards or Oneil? Is it a coaching and strategy issue? Is it an inside/outside imbalance?

All the pieces are there...

Shep Edwards Barrass
Witherden Gov Hurn (Duggan bench)

Thats a great idea for our defense
The three small defenders there are way too slow to play together (yes, including Shep with his faltering body). Would get chopped up by the smalls.

My team for round 1

SHEPPARD BARASS HURN

ROTHAM McGOVERN Duggan

Sheed KELLY GAFF

RIOLI DARLING PETRUCELLI

ALLEN KENNEDY RYAN

NATANUI YEO SHUEY

Cripps Williams Cole Redden
So in a way it's the same old usual suspects, except for Rioli, who have all played at various stages through 2021. Okay it was rare that they ALL played together consistently or continually without being injured at some stage.

So what makes it different for 2022? Have they got faster? More daring and dynamic? Will Gaff and Sheed be sticking tackles? Has Darling dug himself out of a hole? We've all seen that backline play some atrocious football. Will JK and NN be asked to save our bacon or is Rioli expected to be the new saviour?
Presumably it's the new midfield coaches and the new game plan, which is all an unknown at this stage?

The only thing that excites me about this list is Rioli and a fit Ryan and the possibility of having a speedy new midfielder who can break lines?
I don't wish to be disparaging and I do hold out hope for 2022, but those names on paper alone don't cut it for me at this stage...

Last edited:
So in a way it's the same old usual suspects, except for Rioli, who have all played at various stages through 2021. Okay it was rare that they ALL played together consistently or continually without being injured at some stage.

So what makes it different for 2022? Have they got faster? More daring and dynamic? Will Gaff and Sheed be sticking tackles? Has Darling dug himself out of a hole? We've all seen that backline play some atrocious football. Will JK and NN be asked to save our bacon or is Rioli expected to be the new saviour?
Presumably it's the new midfield coaches and the new game plan, which is all an unknown at this stage?

The only thing that excites me about this list is Rioli and a fit Ryan and the possibility of having a speedy new midfielder who can break lines?
I don't wish to be disparaging and I do hold out hope for 2022, but those names on paper alone don't cut it for me.

Agreed having Rioli working at JK feet is what I am most looking forward to

and hopefully the progression of the young Edwards continues

After ruminating on things after the grand final I think we are better served by accepting we aren't going to threaten next year and get on with the rebuild.

Thanks Bung, thanks Josh but it's time to start seeing what the next generation has to offer. Our midfield lacks the athleticism, let alone if Yeo or Kelly gets injured, to be more than a bottom of the 8 group with the present personnel and with that being the case I can't see the value in the old boys going on.

Hopefully the OP is proven right again and I have humble pie to eat but I think we are going to be bog-average next year. The group are the equivalent of Pavlov's dogs when it comes to looking backwards when the receive the ball. It's going to take time to turn that around, if there is even any desire to from the coaching group!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much has to change for us to have a chance. Game plan and fitness are key really. We know the players are mainly capable but a lot has to go right.

I reckon we will bounce back. Winning the flag depends on a lot, but we have a pretty strong squad. It was great to see how Melbourne go about it, we have a similar squad (with much better tall forwards), so I don't see why we can't adopt some of their approach to help build us up. Don't forget that they finished 17th in 2019 and 9th in 2020, so came from further back than we will be.

I reckon we will bounce back. Winning the flag depends on a lot, but we have a pretty strong squad. It was great to see how Melbourne go about it, we have a similar squad (with much better tall forwards), so I don't see why we can't adopt some of their approach to help build us up. Don't forget that they finished 17th in 2019 and 9th in 2020, so came from further back than we will be.

Umm how ......we have an ageing midfield that is slow and consistently injured

The only way we can win flag is finishing in the top two.....sorry I cannot see it maybe in the bottom of the eight but that's about it

If we get a player of Martins,bonts Petra calibre in the draft we might be a chance....but that's not going to happen this draft maybe in the future but not now

Forwards Defence okay....the issue is the midfield

Umm how ......we have an ageing midfield that is slow and consistently injured

The only way we can win flag is finishing in the top two.....sorry I cannot see it maybe in the bottom of the eight but that's about it

If we get a player of Martins,bonts Petra calibre in the draft we might be a chance....but that's not going to happen this draft maybe in the future but not now

Forwards Defence okay....the issue is the midfield
Yeo and Kelly are young enough. Redden is hard enough to provide the defensive edge. Rioli, Shuey and Cripps can rotate from the forward line. Sheed and Gaff are very strong on the outside.

We still have quality players but need them to get fit and play them to their strengths.

We need to really nail it with our first draft selection.. The injection of a gun mid could help rejuvenate the team. However, credits in the bank etc etc.....

Yeo and Kelly are young enough. Redden is hard enough to provide the defensive edge. Rioli, Shuey and Cripps can rotate from the forward line. Sheed and Gaff are very strong on the outside.

We still have quality players but need them to get fit and play them to their strengths.

Ummm .....nah

100% Agree "need them to get fit an play them to their strengths"...thats a no brainer for me need your quality and your captain on the park

Yeo IMO as I have said in other threads is our most dynamic mid a bull who can go with the Fyfes, Petra, Bonts but can he step up and have a breakout close to a brownlow winning year??......its a big if

Kelly to me looks too comfortable and has not stepped up since moving from geelong.....needs a huge preseason and rocket....can he crack in to the best top 10 mids in the comp......its a big if

Redden does have the defensive edge but he is getting on and is slow

Shuey Needs to get fit stop getting injured and step up and be a captain

Sheed and Gaff strong on the outside?.....did you watch Langdon in the GF or Smith for the bullies....they play on the outside...and guess what they have which Sheed and Gaff don't.....PACE...Gaff is a great gut runner but explosive pace from the wing and the ability to carry the ball and clear the lines he does not

Sheed the same slow and needs to learn to tackle again

Rioli is interesting I like him having a go in the midfield in stints.....but he has missed a lot of football going to take time to build up the fitness

We need the above to have a great season for us to compete again.....but what the club needs for the future is a gun young mid coming through...we need to find the next jet...the next judd cousins kerr......but that's the problem they are hard to find

Ummm .....nah

100% Agree "need them to get fit an play them to their strengths"...thats a no brainer for me need your quality and your captain on the park

Yeo IMO as I have said in other threads is our most dynamic mid a bull who can go with the Fyfes, Petra, Bonts but can he step up and have a breakout close to a brownlow winning year??......its a big if

Kelly to me looks too comfortable and has not stepped up since moving from geelong.....needs a huge preseason and rocket....can he crack in to the best top 10 mids in the comp......its a big if

Sheed and Gaff strong on the outside?.....did you watch Langdon in the GF or Smith for the bullies....they play on the outside...and guess what they have which Sheed and Gaff don't.....PACE...Gaff is a great gut runner but explosive pace from the wing and the ability to carry the ball and clear the lines he does not

Rioli is interesting I like him having a go in the midfield in stints.....but he has missed a lot of football going to take time to build up the fitness

We need the above to have a great season for us to compete again.....but what the club needs for the future is a gun young mid coming through...we need to find the next jet...the next judd cousins kerr......but that's the problem they are hard to find
Agreed - a lot has to come together to win a flag. If it doesn't, we end up like this year. I admit I'm feeling optimistic, but I'm also buoyed by the fact we've done it before. No-one rated our midfield in 2018 either.

I'm also pleased that our issues are fixable. We were unfit, badly coached and this caused division with the players. The club already knows it needs to improve training standards and has brought in new assistants to fix the coaching. Get it right and we should see a jump up straight away.

This draft could also be a wildcard, we saw in 2010 and 2017 how one good draft can get you back in the mix. Port did it in 2018 and Dees in 2019. Maybe we will find that mid you've identified that we need?

In my opinion our problem is lack of teamwork, not being selflesslike Melbourne and not our players. Mind you aquick midfielder from the hdraft would be great
Ummm .....nah

It starts and ends with contested ball and tackling

If Simpson continues not to value these things his papers may already have been stamped

The hallmarks of any great premiership winning team are contested ball and tackling. Simpson is trying to find the next E=Mc2 when he should be trying to keep it 1+1 = 2

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back