List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Not overly no, and i realise he was played out of position a lot but really lacked composure.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
So how you can you judge him if you’re well aware he played out of position?

And lacked composure? Didn’t see that myself

I honestly question the recruitment of Clark almost each week, the way we seemed to have just tossed him on the scrapheap in record time.

Why oh why.

Either that is the case and possibly due to leg speed or;

He was injured preseason, by the time he was fit enough to play mid year the season was shot and we wanted to have a look at others. Drafted Culley and gave him opportunity ahead of Clark to fast track him. We know what Clark can bring and we will use him more in 2023.

Centre setup.

Chesser Clark Hough
Nic Kelly Sheed

Bench mids: Culley, O'Neil, SPS, or our 1st pick?

A 3-year deal for Hunt?🤦‍♂️If true, we are building quite the record of substandard list management decisions (and a wafl level side in the process).

Hunt is one of the biggest ball butchers in the league. 28 at the start of next year with a 3 year deal on a what is likely to be reasonable coin.

While we do lack run off HB (which is surely inhibiting our transition to a modernised game plan), is the solution simply plugging-in-and-playing a severely limited D-grader?

This points to a broader strategic failure of the club. We have not adequately anticipated and planned for the tactical developments observed in the past few years. Consequently, we are forced into making reactionary decisions, like Jones to HB, or paying overs (in contractual terms) for a mediocre player. Contrast this with Brisbane's foresight in shipping off a promising but slow half back flanker (who was performing well at the time) in favour of promoting faster but less established players (and it is no coincidence who was duped in this deal). And having not positioned our list and cap adequately (more consequences of the Kelly trade), we were not able to make a substatial play for an ideal, long-term, flexible candidate for the role when the opportunity arose (i.e. J.Clark).

Rather than poaching Hunt, I would have rather persisted with Jones, trained/played Hough or Chesser in the role, or at the absolute worst, tried Petch off HB. He has a similar "skillset" to Hunt in that he has one useful attribute. Perhaps Rioli leaving unexpectedly and thinning our options at HF has tied Jones and Petch to HF.

Is it a real possibility that we may get Jackson in the PSD. I'm trying to figure this one out. Freo really have no leverage what so ever in obtaining Jackson. It's interesting as Jackson said it doesn't matter where he goes and I think Freo are about to find out how hard it is to get a quality player over. If the dees do what Geelong did to us with Kelly and stay firm they are going have to come to terms with giving up quality for high picks. Lobb isn't worth any more then pick 30. I can't see them getting the picks required for Jackson. Question is will Melbourne except Jackson for Freos first at pick 15 and have to be a future first with it aswell.

On the flip side we would have a lot of space in our salary cap now. If Jackson was to fall to the pre season draft would we pick him up on a million dollar salary but it cost us nothing in terms of picks. I think we would. I'm not even sure how they can get it done unless Melbourne at the last minute except there crappy picks for him and a future first at the very least.
Be a hard pill to swallow for Melbourne that. Makes for some quality entertainment for us with how that pans out anyhow. I'm sure we are keeping a close eye on it.

Last edited:
On the whole, I agree with the notion that players salaries should be kept private, but it does make deals like the Hunt one really hard to judge.

If it's 300k/pa that's a bit of a bargain.
If it's 400K/pa that's probably fine as he will be borderline best 22.
If it's 500k/pa or above then we've paid way overs.

But the most information we are usually fed is something along the lines of "signed a contract reportedly worth X/pa" and the general consensus from I've read is reporters throw about 10% mayo on top. In the case of the Hunt deal we didn't even get that so ¯\(ツ)

On the whole, I agree with the notion that players salaries should be kept private, but it does make deals like the Hunt one really hard to judge.

But the most information we are usually fed is something along the lines of "signed a contract reportedly worth X/pa" and the general consensus from I've read is reporters throw about 10% mayo on top. In the case of the Hunt deal we didn't even get that so ¯\(ツ)
Usually with FA signings there’s normally an indication of the salary as it’s important in calculating any compo pick

Only one reporter (Sweeney) has run with a deal being signed and we’ll likely find out more if/when it gets officially announced

Like you I’d be annoyed if it was as much as $500k a year. Carlton are reportedly offering Acres around $350k a year and it’d be hard to justify Hunt being on more than that

Usually with FA signings there’s normally an indication of the salary as it’s important in calculating any compo pick

Only one reporter (Sweeney) has run with a deal being signed and we’ll likely find out more if/when it gets officially announced

Like you I’d be annoyed if it was as much as $500k a year. Carlton are reportedly offering Acres around $350k a year and it’d be hard to justify Hunt being on more than that
Yeah good call on the F/A compo pick.

The other thing that concerns me is it's very unlikely to be unders for Hunt - why would he leave a premiership calibre team where he is best 22 (just) to move to the other side of the country to which he has no affiliation?

He could be (read; is likely) leaving due to a bulging salary cap at Melbourne, but if he wanted to play for par money he could have surely found a suiter in Melbourne...

I'm not one for recruiting older guys like Hunt but he's so drastically different to what we have, I'm ok with it. If he was a mid who kicks sideways I'd think different.
Give us time. We’ll get him there 🤝🏽

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I'm reading the Hunt inclusion is that we are expecting about a dozen players off the list next year and by bringing him (or similar equivalent) now, this should help with the early transition.

Is it a real possibility that we may get Jackson in the PSD. I'm trying to figure this one out. Freo really have no leverage what so ever in obtaining Jackson. It's interesting as Jackson said it doesn't matter where he goes and I think Freo are about to find out how hard it is to get a quality player over. If the dees do what Geelong did to us with Kelly and stay firm they are going have to come to terms with giving up quality for high picks. Lobb isn't worth any more then pick 30. I can't see them getting the picks required for Jackson. Question is will Melbourne except Jackson for Freos first at pick 15 and have to be a future first with it aswell.

On the flip side we would have a lot of space in our salary cap now. If Jackson was to fall to the pre season draft would we pick him up on a million dollar salary but it cost us nothing in terms of picks. I think we would. I'm not even sure how they can get it done unless Melbourne at the last minute except there crappy picks for him and a future first at the very least.
Be a hard pill to swallow for Melbourne that. Makes for some quality entertainment for us with how that pans out anyhow. I'm sure we are keeping a close eye on it.

There is a 0% chance Luke Jackson goes to the PSD.

1. He would not do that to Melbourne
2. Melbourne would not turn down Freo’s best offer just to end up with nothing
3. Fremantle will have enough capital to get a deal done anyway, they already have their first, a future 1st, will get Norths future 2nd for Logue and whatever they get for Lobb, a deal will be done.

At least the club "told us" a contract has/will be signed..... sometimes we don't even get that!!

There is a 0% chance Luke Jackson goes to the PSD.

1. He would not do that to Melbourne
2. Melbourne would not turn down Freo’s best offer just to end up with nothing
3. Fremantle will have enough capital to get a deal done anyway, they already have their first, a future 1st, will get Norths future 2nd for Logue and whatever they get for Lobb, a deal will be done.
Yeah so Freo will have to give all that up. It's a pretty big draft haul anyway. Giving up a lot for a unproven player really.

Either that is the case and possibly due to leg speed or;

He was injured preseason, by the time he was fit enough to play mid year the season was shot and we wanted to have a look at others. Drafted Culley and gave him opportunity ahead of Clark to fast track him. We know what Clark can bring and we will use him more in 2023.

Centre setup.

Chesser Clark Hough
Nic Kelly Sheed

Bench mids: Culley, O'Neil, SPS, or our 1st pick?
With a good preseason (more speed and aerobic capacity) it'll be interesting to see where Clark is at. (If he's played in position that is.) Listed at 193 so is just taller than Waterman, Darling and Allen; and at 94kgs is way heavier than Culley and Rotham - also both 193. Could become 'an inside bull'?

Like the earlier discussion re Foley (23games) or Witho (81) right at this point Foley might not be any better than Witho but at least we know what Witho can or can't do based on a bigger sample.

No probs IMO getting Hunt in, petrols our speedster and he definitely needs a KUTA, apart from being quick(commentators mention it every time because there nothing else to be said of him really)he's done FA else, also hope we can get Narkle in a train on but recon he's going to get other offers.

I'm quite happy with us letting Jackson go to Fremantle as I don't want to get into a bidding war. He's a gun player but we don't have that sort of capital to cough up for one player, especially for a ruckman. Love NicNat and all, but we've seen you can win flags with an average or slightly above average ruckman. If you get the chance to draft a guy like NicNat, or someone develops into Max Gawn that's fantastic... But I don't think it's prudent for clubs to go seeking out such players.

One thing I've not been able to work out from Jackson's perspective is what makes Freo appealing to him because he's going to be stuck behind Darcy who is only a few years older than him...

But then it occurred to me that Darcy will be a free agent at the end of 2024 and is a Geelong product so there's every chance he'll go back*, which is a shame all round really. as it gives Freo a ruck succession plan and BODES bring in yet another gun free agent (i.e. Smith) and/or trade in a player for unders (i.e. Dangerfield and Cameron).

The only thing I noticed is Darcy is Restrict Free Agent even though he's been in the system for 8 years... Is that a mistake?

* Maybe those discussions have already tentatively taken place, who knows...

I don't mind Foley. Always performs well in the wafl unlike others and has been solid without being great at afl level .

Take Foley over witherden any day
Neither take the game on
Neither are natural defenders
Neither improved in 2023
so neither should be on the list

How I’d like to realistically see the upcoming trade period play out :

• Resolve the Rioli trade as soon as possible. We don’t know what Port are offering but Ryan Daniels has reported WCE won’t be satisfied with just the Amon compo pick (27). Personally, I think either that or their future 2nd is fair but if we can squeeze out something extra like our future 4th for their future 3rd on top of this or next years 2nd it would be a nice bonus
• Hopefully with the Rioli deal wrapped up early and without any other trades in the works that we’re aware of, we can sit back and watch others scramble to get deals done. Our strong draft hand may then enable us to improve our picks, this year or next, as clubs look for creative ways to get deals over the line. That might be trading our 2nd round picks to Brisbane for their first if they need points for example or perhaps splitting pick 2 if a really good offer comes in.
• We’ve been reported as having an interest in Robertson, Sharpe and Meek (but sadly not Bowes) although for varying reasons they look unlikely. Robertson may shake loose if Brisbane are forced to pay big for Dunkley and are left short of points. Fremantle could find themselves unable to have enough draft capital to secure Sharpe possibly opening that door for us. Either of those two would be handy at the right price but aren’t must haves. I can’t see us getting Meek
• Whilst nothing has been reported, there remains a possibility that a contracted player may seek a trade out. If that occurs we should aim to get a future pick or an upgrade on an existing pick. Hopefully Witherden attracts some interest but it seems unlikely

The only FA compo likely to impact any of our picks is McStay to Collingwood which will be a 2nd round pick. That will push our current pick 39 back to 40

So if no trades other than Rioli get done, we go to the draft with 2,20,26,40 plus whatever we get for Rioli. We also have pick 70 something which will likely come into the 50’s should we elect to use it as clubs pass on late selections

After signing Hunt and Hurn, we’ll have 33 listed players and the capacity to use 5 draft picks. (This would be 34 and 4 if we do trade for Robertson or Sharpe)

We should be open to splitting pick 2, and offers will come on draft night once pick 1 is called out after Brisbane match the Ashcroft bid.

I’d also like us to be looking at using our 2nd round picks to trade up if someone we’re keen on slides

As for the rookie draft we’ll have 3 spots open. Use pick 2, then consider whether anyone remaining at our next pick is better than any of Winder, West or Trew. If not take one of them and leave a train on spot for a SSP like Narkle

Nek minnit...dees get an end of 1st round compo pick.

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back