List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
We will get slagged on trade radio if we are not active in many trades. They always seem to think that whichever club was most active in trade week "won" trade week. But when you almost a spooner then it is hard to get players to want to come to your club without offering massive coin. If there is nothing there worth pursuing or in our interests then i would rather the club just do nothing and take the picks to the draft.
Listened to trade radio a bit during last week and some of them have already started having a crack because we aren’t likely to be very active

Same people criticise us for the Kelly trade and having an old list. But it’s because of these things that we aren’t looking for a big name trade recruit and are instead focusing on the draft which is what we should be doing.

Listened to trade radio a bit during last week and some of them have already started having a crack because we aren’t likely to be very active

Same people criticise us for the Kelly trade and having an old list. But it’s because of these things that we aren’t looking for a big name trade recruit and are instead focusing on the draft which is what we should be doing.
I remember them virtually bullying Freo into the Hogan trade when it looked like Bell might win the argument within Freo and the club might walk away from the trade. Talking about how the whole AFL will lose respect for them if they don't go through with the trade and going on and on about how many players they went after in the past and didn't end up getting and so ergo if they walk away from the Hogan trade it will set the club back decades and no player will ever consider going there again. They were just blatantly shilling for Melbourne's best interests in their attempt to offload their damaged goods for a premium price. So it is not just that they are dumb it is also that they are ridiculously biased.

We will get slagged on trade radio if we are not active in many trades. They always seem to think that whichever club was most active in trade week "won" trade week. But when you almost a spooner then it is hard to get players to want to come to your club without offering massive coin. If there is nothing there worth pursuing or in our interests then i would rather the club just do nothing and take the picks to the draft.

Trade radio is for obsessed fan's that have too much time on their hands. Has no bearing on what the clubs do or think.

Damn, Bedford looks an absolute gun IMO. Seen him live a few times. Always makes things happen. Wish we were targeting him instead of Hunt.

Yeah it's this year or never for me with Dev. I don't think his much at all and come next season if he isn't in Brisbane best 22 it shows his not good enough. There will be better options out there by then and the only thing Dev has now is that we don't know much about him. That's his carrot. We will know with another season though at Brisbane and there's two ways this goes for him. He will cement a best 22 spot for Brisbane and in that case he won't go anywhere or two he drops off again next season for Brisbane and by then we will know his not good enough. If he goes down that path let him get delisted because we will know what type of player he is by then and won't go after him.
And another year of minimal senior game time hinders development. We wouldn't really want a player with 4 years in the system and only 30-35 games.

Ben Edwards, his jib, I like the cut of it.
Great dash but atrocious game awareness. He looks great in patches but all too often is the cause of a turnover. He will learn from this year but I cannot see him going close to reading the play and pace of the game at AFL

It would be pretty stressful being Peter Bell right now. All these balls in the air. One deal is contingent on what you get from another deal. So they are all interlinked and interdependent as opposed to seperate compartmentalised negotiations you can conduct in parallel. I think us having second pick in the PSD is a bonus for Freo. Gives them extra leverage over Melbourne unfortunately.

That works both ways. Melbourne will know how much freo are into him and won’t want us to land him for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great dash but atrocious game awareness. He looks great in patches but all too often is the cause of a turnover. He will learn from this year but I cannot see him going close to reading the play and pace of the game at AFL

Agree with this, yesterday he got caught 4 times holding the ball by taking on, or trying to take one too many players or one more swerve around a plater too many.

Love his pace and run and carry but he needs a bit of polish on his game, before he would ever be AFL worthy.

That said he had a very good season.

Agree with this, yesterday he got caught 4 times holding the ball by taking on, or trying to take one too many players or one more swerve around a plater too many.

Love his pace and run and carry but he needs a bit of polish on his game, before he would ever be AFL worthy.

That said he had a very good season.

Wached the 1st u18 game ofthe season up here yesterday. You just described all of the top mids out there. And everyone else as well. At 18 they all think they are bullet proof and try and beat opponents and run around them. And 99% of the time they get caught. Good tackling though.

At the top level u18 you would hope they are more mature and use their team mates but 18 yr old arrogance takes a while to tackle out of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it's this year or never for me with Dev. I don't think his much at all and come next season if he isn't in Brisbane best 22 it shows his not good enough. There will be better options out there by then and the only thing Dev has now is that we don't know much about him. That's his carrot. We will know with another season though at Brisbane and there's two ways this goes for him. He will cement a best 22 spot for Brisbane and in that case he won't go anywhere or two he drops off again next season for Brisbane and by then we will know his not good enough. If he goes down that path let him get delisted because we will know what type of player he is by then and won't go after him.

Or the kid is confident in his ability and wants to negotiate his next contract with better form.

He has set the bar high and is taking a risk staying. No doubt Lions midfield is getting stronger and will continue to.

The Bowes move should be the clincher. If Bowes, Dunkley, Fletcher and Aschcroft all get to Brisbane he should do the smart thing and ask to move. If Bowes goes elsewhere he stays.

Last edited:
He didn't seem too disgruntled in his interview a few weeks ago. Maybe they have given him something to work on.

Reden's role is my call.

If fit Clark will start in the centre square round 1 2023.

The club knows what he brings and can do. We just spent 2022 looking at all the kids to see who stays and who goes.

Or the kid is confident in his ability and wants to negotiate his next contract with better form.

He has set the bar high and is taking a risk staying. No doubt Lions midfield is getting stronger and will continue to.

The Bowes move should be the clincher. If Bowes, Dunckley, Fletcher and Aschcroft all get to Brisbane he should do the smart thing and ask to move. If Bowes goes elsewhere he stays.
Yeah it make no sense in his position. The best time to leave is right now. He won't have as much pressure with us too to crack our best 22. Not a smart move with him staying at Brisbane but if he does somehow make Brisbanes best 22 come end of next season I can see him staying over there. One of those players that's now or never if he wants to go.

We have no reason really to be active this trade period. Yeah we finish second last and a few have retired. We got Hunt and likely Narkle and that's probally it. Trade period overall this year looks pretty average across the board anyhow. Not much movement and the only players that are moving is C-D grade players. The Good A grade players like Taranto and possibly Jackson the experts are saying which is a big question mark calling him A Grade have already made there minds up where they want to go. Plus there's the issue of no player wanting to go to a bottom four team that's hanging over us.

For us its all about the draft this year. We have to nail this year's draft hand and a few mature surprise packet rookies would be alright.

Last edited:
Reden's role is my call.

If fit Clark will start in the centre square round 1 2023.

The club knows what he brings and can do. We just spent 2022 looking at all the kids to see who stays and who goes.

I hope so. Really like Clark. He’s a bull and plays with confidence and has no deficiencies that any other player with only a few games under their belt would have.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We have no reason really to be active this trade period. Yeah we finish second last and a few have retired. We got Hunt and likely Narkle and that's probally it. Trade period overall this year looks pretty average across the board anyhow. Not much movement and the only players that are moving is C-D grade players. The Good A grade players like Taranto and possibly Jackson the experts are saying which is a big question mark calling him A Grade have already made there minds up where they want to go. Plus there's the issue of no player wanting to go to a bottom four team that's hanging over us.

For us its all about the draft this year. We have to nail this year's draft hand and a few mature surprise packet rookies would be alright.

We get Hunt and Narkle for no draft picks lost, then nail a couple of the selections this year and we are set. Realistically we'll have a similar draft hand in 2023 too, and hopefully we're on the way up by then.

Anyway, imagine the lulz if Jackson walks to the PSD and we snatch him (unlikely, but still...)

Don't agree.

Every year all clubs should be looking to improve their list in any means possible.

If you can replace the two bottom rated players with solid role players that do not cost high draft picks then you look at it.

If you can improve your list by signing free agents or delisted free agents you do it.

Look at every premiership side. Not every player is a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

If we replace Trew and Nelson with Hunt and Narkle and it costs us zero draft capital why wouldn't we do it?

If we use a later 2nd rounder pick 25+ to land a young rated fringe player of need like a Robertson you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back