Training Pre Season '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Short lead the team out in the practice match against melbourne so he might be the one to captain the team in the absence of Nank and Lynch, but we did have a lot of senior players out that day (Martin, Taranto, Baker etc).
Do a Brisbane Lions - Two Captains and Two Deputies

if we roll the pies someone wake TheLoungeLizard

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

Cumberland seems to start well then drift out of the game. I suspect that he needs short stints in the midfield or something to involve him in the game to reset his brain
I don't get the Cumberland love fest. Based on form the only place he deserves is in the reserves. I just don't think he should be played until he shows good form in the twos and forces his way into the senior team with consistent football. Seth Campbell and Steely Green are delivering more than Cumberland. Reward performance, don't reward mediocrity.

I don't get the Cumberland love fest. Based on form the only place he deserves is in the reserves. I just don't think he should be played until he shows good form in the twos and forces his way into the senior team with consistent football. Seth Campbell and Steely Green are delivering more than Cumberland. Reward performance, don't reward mediocrity.
The lovefest came because of how good his VFL form was in 2022. When he came to our AFL side, he continued kicking a lot of goals. Our offence in 2022 was no.1 due to his contributions alongside the other forwards/mids, and I have been a fan of his ever since.

He's gone downhill since Hardwick called him out in the presser early last year. Don't know whether he was sulking about being called out, but he just hasn't been able to get involved in any meaningful way since despite his talent.

Having said that, I agree that Steely Green and Seth Campbell are delivering more than Cumberland right now. I have a feeling that Yze won't just pick him just for the sake of it, so he'll languish in the VFL if he doesn't pick it up this year. Whatever the issue is, he needs to work through it and go back to his best.

The lovefest came because of how good his VFL form was in 2022. When he came to our AFL side, he continued kicking a lot of goals. Our offence in 2022 was no.1 due to his contributions alongside the other forwards/mids, and I have been a fan of his ever since.

He's gone downhill since Hardwick called him out in the presser early last year. Don't know whether he was sulking about being called out, but he just hasn't been able to get involved in any meaningful way since despite his talent.

Having said that, I agree that Steely Green and Seth Campbell are delivering more than Cumberland right now. I have a feeling that Yze won't just pick him just for the sake of it, so he'll languish in the VFL if he doesn't pick it up this year. Whatever the issue is, he needs to work through it and go back to his best.

Point 1 , I agree. 2022 recovered from injury and Great VFL form. Round 17....His AFL debut I caught. Lynch injured so subbed on Cumbo marked and goaled. TBH he left a couple out there too. This was in Dusty's abscence. The finals loss I also caught. Dusty & Cumbo. Neither great.

I think I recall Noah responded to a qn about gameplan playing with Dusty and Noah said "just get out of Dusty's way"

The Dimma presser I seem to recall Journos repeated questioning. Dimma said "Cumbo's got to go back and work on some stuff"

Roll in 2023, MRJ was quite good in 2022, Castagna retired so an unfit MRJ /Mansell took Cumbo's spot.

Along with Graham, Prestia being pushed fwd by Hopper & Tarranto.

When small fwds like Noah got their chance last year they did not take it. The good old days of 2017 when George & the 2 Dans kick 20 plus goals.

I feel Yze will used less pressure fwds, so one fwd spot opens up.

Match sims and practice games. Priority looking at new, uninjured players. So Green & others getting a look.

Last edited:
Well based on form, Cumberland was a good way in front of Campbell and Green, because VFL form is all we can go on. Evidently all three have had good preseasons, the latter two must have stood out to get a crack before Cumberland, but maybe in part that is because they want to have a look at them at the higher level.

I have no problem with Cumberland starting in the VFL, get some form and confidence up, but it is very early to be pencilling in Campbell and Green. If all three play well vs Collingwood, reserves or seniors it will be interesting to see which way they go.

Jurica-esque.... Had a great purple patch but can't capture that lightning a bottle again. It was possible he was just playing above himself in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cumberland got to perform simple as that. He has competition now Coulthard, Campbell and Green.
he needs to *in relax a bit for a start, every time he makes a mistake he beats himself up over it.
still playing like he has dimmas axe hanging over him.

Jurica-esque.... Had a great purple patch but can't capture that lightning a bottle again. It was possible he was just playing above himself in 2022.
Purely an observation but it seems like his opponent is able to draw him away from the goals where he is dangerous. Maybe he is trying too hard to be a defensive forward, maybe he isn’t quick enough running back into the forward line. Hopefully Kane Lambert gets in his ear because he was brilliant at that. That’s why I think short bursts in the middle field would help his game

if “love fest” means supporting all players in the squad (including Cumbo) …then. I am guilty of that

i want all our players to do well

Going back nearly 30 years for a precedent. Cumberland is like so many young players, he was only a second year player last year after all, many start well, get dropped for weaknesses and hopefully improve on them and come back better players.
Cops a lot of unnecessary flak for a player just starting.

He obviously did not play Dimma style football but I can help that think we would have been better in the long run if we had played Cumberland for much of the year out of the pocket rather than Pickett who did frankly nothing. Pickett kicked 8 goals from 21 matches, Cumberland the same from 9, both averaged 2.6 marks and tackles per game. Cumberland was subbed out in at least two of his games. So effectively besides goal kicking, where Cumberland's figures were a lot better, they had identical stats.

We all know that Pickett was playing a role, but he was largely ineffective in that role, yet he was played week in week out. Mansell wasn't much better yet played most weeks.

Yze hopefully will take the foot off the pressure a bit and let the young players play their natural game on a level playing field. If Cumberland stalls and one of Greene of Campbell come on that is fine.

This definitely put a spring in my step, reading Caesars report.

Good News Training Day Sunday:

In brilliant sunshine a 2 hour training session with good vibes was held in front of family and friends.

In great news Prestia, Taranto, Lynch and BAUER trained fully, in fact Lynchy was still running laps 15 minutes after other players went inside and I left, (this is in keeping with the stated mini pre-season they are putting him through), I think Lynchy will be putting his hand up for the Carlton game but conditioning staff will have the final say.
Bauer: Played back and looked very good for someone who has had a very restricted pre-season.
Dusty: Looks to be firing and was the third last player to leave the track, instead having some shots on goal and chatting with his good mate Newy.
Lefau: Played on Gibcus when it came to match sim type drills, towards the end of session he had set shot kicking instruction, he doesn't seem to have too much wrong with his action, the ball really thumps off his boot.
Young: Matched up on Lynch.
Steely: Got to the right spots again.
Mansel: Not training but spotted in bare feet and out of moon boot.

Only possible negative? :

Nank: Was not out there at all, Naismith firming for round zero, recruiting could be a masterstroke?

The wrap:

Best session of the summer, ball movement pretty clean and all in good spirits and humour, (no doubt aided by the presence of family and friends and the fact the season proper is just around the corner).

Cheers

Each to their own. I've seen enough of cumbo to know he can be best 22. Reads the game well, and finds himself in the right spots. On attitude, he does get down on himself, and needs to knock that out of his game.

So if the club needs to reward performance why is it someone like junior who i like and have backed him in comes to preseason unfit and still carrying a bit hasn't done anything special in the match sims or over preseason but gets a game ahead of cumbo who by all reports was havng a very good preseason.

I like steely's game and thought Seth did ok also. If cumbo starts VFL so be it but he has the talent to force his way into the best 22/23.

Last edited:
This definitely put a spring in my step, reading Caesars report.

Good News Training Day Sunday:

In brilliant sunshine a 2 hour training session with good vibes was held in front of family and friends.

In great news Prestia, Taranto, Lynch and BAUER trained fully, in fact Lynchy was still running laps 15 minutes after other players went inside and I left, (this is in keeping with the stated mini pre-season they are putting him through), I think Lynchy will be putting his hand up for the Carlton game but conditioning staff will have the final say.
Bauer: Played back and looked very good for someone who has had a very restricted pre-season.
Dusty: Looks to be firing and was the third last player to leave the track, instead having some shots on goal and chatting with his good mate Newy.
Lefau: Played on Gibcus when it came to match sim type drills, towards the end of session he had set shot kicking instruction, he doesn't seem to have too much wrong with his action, the ball really thumps off his boot.
Young: Matched up on Lynch.
Steely: Got to the right spots again.
Mansel: Not training but spotted in bare feet and out of moon boot.

Only possible negative? :

Nank: Was not out there at all, Naismith firming for round zero, recruiting could be a masterstroke?

The wrap:

Best session of the summer, ball movement pretty clean and all in good spirits and humour, (no doubt aided by the presence of family and friends and the fact the season proper is just around the corner).

Cheers
Bauer spending his time down back is somewhat a forgotten player IMO

With Gibcus and Young taking the KPF's. Bauer as 3rd man in is a very good option as he has better hands than both guys anyway. So much hinges on Gibcus being able to hold down CHB IMO.

I rewatched the Dees game and I could really end up with egg on my face regarding Lefau. He is really unconventional which can sometimes create an impossible matchup. With no Lynch, I would be playing him against the Pies and if he performs, he's a lock for the GC game.

Last edited:
Bauer spending his time down back is someone a forgotten player IMO

With Gibcus and Young taking the KPF's. Bauer as 3rd man in is a very good option as he has better hands than both guys anyway. So much hinges on Gibcus being able to hold down CHB IMO.

I rewatched the Dees game and I could really end up with egg on my face regarding Lefau. He is really unconventional which can sometimes create an impossible matchup. With no Lynch, I would be playing him against the Pies and if he performs, he's a lock for the GC game.

Mykelti's pressure. speed, and strong marking definitely would be playing him v pies and like you said if he performs RD 0 debut

Mykelti's pressure. speed, and strong marking definitely would be playing him v pies and like you said if he performs RD 0 debut
which is insane to me, he has no right to be in the mix IMO, but he's so unique when playing his current role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back