Autopsy Tale of two halves vs. Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

The corner won't be turned unless and until we can pair that exceptional attacking momentum with something better than complete capitulation when the shoe is on the other foot.

We've seen this before at various times over the last five years, that when confidence is up we look like world-beaters for a short spell, and that hasn't amounted to anything more yet. So while it's fantastic to see Powell cementing his place, Wardlaw doing everything we rate him for, Xerri figuring out how the midfield can work with him as the lead ruck... what we really needed to see if we're actually moving forward in 2024 is the building blocks of a broader sustainable gameplan around that. What we really didn't need was to be just as easily carved open the other way in clearances, and for the workrate shown in the first half to fade so starkly come the second.

Young signs fade in and out of games, so that alone isn't the worry, particularly in the early rounds of the season. But there wasn't much evidence of us adapting to the shift in momentum and changing our decisions to suit, which is the kind of thing that has to happen if we're going to take the next step from mediocre-but-'promising' 5-goal losses into actually snagging some wins this year. Ultimately a really disappointing result given how the game started.

I'm not sure what Stephens role was today.

Lazz was more involved and should've stayed on. Would've subbed Stephens and had Ford play wing.

That's on the coaches. Bizarre sub call.
There were a few ahead of Lazzaro

Stupid sub

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shining Jack Nicholson GIF

As much as the umpiring was crap, Freo weren't at full strength today and were vulnerable. They controlled the game because we stopped doing what we were doing in the first half.

It's clear that we will be able to put teams to the sword but our forwards need to work harder and structurally be better. Too often Freo got too many numbers behind the ball to cover. It's not good enough.
There was a time and not just in the Pagan era when forward entries were exciting knowing we're going to emerge with a mark or opportunist shot at goal to show for it.

These days I find myself looking away when we're going into 50 like it's a set shot. We haven't had any sort of forward cohesion for 5+ years. Defenders sit on Larkey knowing there's no viable alternative target, defenders outread the forwards or a bunch of midsize forwards bash into each other and leave any easy mopout for the rebounders.

Lack of adaptability and poise cost us. They had no idea what to do once Fremantle gained ascendancy. Then when we finally had a run on in the final quarter everything felt so haphazard and rushed.

Not as much as the midfield defensive system is.

When we switch off, our backline looks out of sorts. It happens to the best of teams. We can't let momentum swings get to us.

That was a winnable game and we bottled it in the second half. It was back to the old North 2023 and previous.

Not at all happy with today's result. Maybe pleased with some individuals that had good games but we simply didn't work for long enough. That's what hurts.
Bit of both I reckon. There were some big positioning issues with the backline which turned a lot of rushed Freo entries into dangerous balls too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking the forward line. We got it in there slot, particularly in the first half. We need another genuine tall target
They’re both an issue.

Concede scoring shots more than 60% in defence.

Score less than 40% up forward.

We will win next week
I’m more than happy to put a wager on this not happening.

It’s too big of an ask for the group currently.

The wheel is turning but we are not at that point yet.

Not hard to find positives. For a half we looked like the Harlem Globetrotters in the middle and Xerri looked like prime Polly Farmer. Jackson turned the game.for them IMO and just started flogging X at centre clearances. Makes it very easy for Fyfe and Brayshaw and Serong to get on top through clearance and when there is a lot of ball going into an undermanned defence it makes sense that they turned the tables on us.

A few individual points - Stephenson had a nightmare in terms of momentum sapping efforts. Getting caught with the footy when we are slicing into the 50 and you just need to find a disposal or reward a runner, is just unforgivable. Not really offering enough around the ground at the moment for mine either.

McDonald, while I'm sure probably shut down an individual player, just looked underdone. I can vividly remember a point during their onslaught where he ran away from the player he was defending then tried to come back to them late to spoil but had given up front position and conceded an easy mark. A wholly weird game and one I'm sure he'd like to forget.

Pink was far better but still gave away a lot of opportunities to Taberner. Dawson was OK and I love his exuberance but he just gave away one of two free kicks which ****ed the momentum. Corr was awful. In the third quarter he gave away a free kick, and his player - a KPF - sprinted back to be an option. Corr walked. Should be dropped on that alone.

Powell and Wardlaw were sick. Think we saw the first half be the one that consigns Simpkin to a HFF for a little while, as the first choice mids of LDU/Powell/Wardlaw is easily our best IMO. Powell was unreal particularly. Glad we got to hear some Profokiev or whatever the * for Wardlaw's goal.

Stephens? Lazzaro? Both anonymous. Lazzaro at the least had some really cool moments in the first half including the assist for the first Powell goal.

Was a strange game first half I couldn’t believe how good they looked, then the wall come along and the third was a disaster the last was even.

We will get better with more games into the kids and the club picks up more players that suits the game style they are playing.

There are still too many players below standard.

I don't think it's near as bad as many suggest.

Freo comeback was expected as we aren't ready yet, and still have quite a few players that need to be replaced.

The fact we definitely beat them for a half is very encouraging.

I think far better to focus upon that, rather than the fully expected second half fade out considering our list age, experience and the Dockers are a good mature team.

Jeremy Sharp is the weirdest looking bloke. He looks like he never left his My Chemical Romance fandom era.
Fits in well then at Freo…
The suburb, makes any other suburb look… normal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back