List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Shuey doing wonders as a coach by the sound of things but more importantly seeing a fit Yeo do his work not only free’s him up but also great player to watch and learn off. Yeo doesn’t have the class that alot of our guns had but the most physically imposing off all of them and he sets the tone being in there.

I still think he will hit his jets when Flynn is back in. A big bodied ruck to win some more clear hitouts will be huge for a guy like him.

Like Judd, Reid wont need a hitout to advantage, just a hitout in his general area. He can use other skills to turn it into hitout to advantage. Williams had a okay 2 weeks but his ruck tapout work still isnt at the level a guy like Reid needs

I expect by the end of the year with Flynn around he is getting that 5 games of 25+ disposals and is in the same realms Matt Rowell was in in his first year
Pretty sure bailey Williams is one of the better centre square rucks of the comp . Not so much around the ground

In the last few years ive seen 3 players with this one skill.

Judd, Dangerfield and Reid

That is the skill of hitting the ball and collecting it at the highest pace you enter the contest in. Quite regularly Reids picking the ball up when his bodyweight and force is at its highest because his speed is also at its highest at the time.

Many players can shrug a tackle in the AFL. Joel Selwood, Clayton Oliver, Andy Brayshaw, but very few can take the ball at its highest speed and move the ball out of the contest at the same time.

We have seen Judd, We have seen Dangerfield, and now we the next guy to take over is Harley Reid. Its a once in a generation skill truly

Last edited:
Pretty sure bailey Williams is one of the better centre square rucks of the comp . Not so much around the ground
Wouldnt go that far but he is better at that. We have seen so far just how much better Reid has done at centre bounces compared to around the ground situations and thats because the opposition ruck has been able to hit it out of his general direction (and our players general direction too).

Once Reid can get those boundary side clearances and possessions it will take his game up another level.

In the last 3 years ive seen 3 players with this one skill.

Judd, Dangerfield and Reid

That is the skill of hitting the ball and collecting it at the highest pace you enter the contest in. Quite regularly Reids picking the ball up when his bodyweight and force is at its highest because his speed is also at its highest at the time.

Many players can shrug a tackle in the AFL. Joel Selwood, Clayton Oliver, Andy Brayshaw, but very few can take the ball at its highest speed and move the ball out of the contest at the same time.

We have seen Judd, We have seen Dangerfield, and now we the next guy to take over is Harley Reid. Its a once in a generation skill truly

Where was Judd playing 3 years ago?

All the build up was Harley v Dusty. Usually when you have a build up like the senior player comes out and destroys the kid. Dusty didn’t rock. In fact Dusty didn’t look like he even cared half the time. So many times I saw him jogging while players ran off him. He had so many lacklustre moments too

Wouldnt go that far but he is better at that. We have seen so far just how much better Reid has done at centre bounces compared to around the ground situations and thats because the opposition ruck has been able to hit it out of his general direction (and our players general direction too).

Once Reid can get those boundary side clearances and possessions it will take his game up another level.
The whole point of the centre bounces is being free from congestion so clean take aways . You dont often see many clean take away from throw ins or ball ups because teams put players guarding the front of the stoppage

* the comparisons

He’s the first Harley Reid

Don’t think I’ve seen a player who almost wants to be tackled because he sees it as a challenge

So fun to watch

And make no mistake, Richmond may have been down on midfield personnel today but they made a point of putting some GST on every contact they had with Reid

He looks like an 18 year old kid enjoying playing footy with his Tongala mates except it’s in front of nearly 50,000 with his West Coast mates

Shuey doing wonders as a coach by the sound of things but more importantly seeing a fit Yeo do his work not only free’s him up but also great player to watch and learn off. Yeo doesn’t have the class that alot of our guns had but the most physically imposing off all of them and he sets the tone being in there.

Will probably post about this in the media thread if no-one else has made the connection but yeah Shuey looks a tick so far

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright this is early I'm only typing this because he's clearly going to be a top player, I'll use Dusty has a example as he was the best player in the comp previously.

Harley I believe has a better fend off than Dusty, he moves better than Dusty and seems to ride contact/tackles and breaking them better than Dusty, more like Judd did, He also has a better over head mark.

Harley his this ability in his movement where he faces in a direction and runs the opposite way, it really fools the opposition thinking he's going run towards them but he doesn't, it's hard to explain he runs basically sideways A LOT.

This is where the difference is at the moment, Dusty strongest parts of his game was his decision making and disposal, he in his prime years pretty much 9.9/10 always made the right decision and he would kill teams by foot going into 50 which to me is most valuable thing about Dusty, the Richmond forwards owe him at least 100 goals due to his elite disposal by foot and unselfishness, if Harley can add more to this game.. well sky is the limit.

Yeah, we got a player.

One of the centre clearance's he got, he picked the ball up and the obvious option was to handball to Yeo, Kelly or whoever it was. He knew this and lured the Richmond players into thinking he was going to give it and then instantaneously he turns the other way and all of a sudden he's created space for himself and he get's a more effective clearance. His footy brain is on another level.

One of the centre clearance's he got, he picked the ball up and the obvious option was to handball to Yeo, Kelly or whoever it was. He knew this and lured the Richmond players into thinking he was going to give it and then instantaneously he turns the other way and all of a sudden he's created space for himself and he get's a more effective clearance. His footy brain is on another level.

Did notice this. I wonder if he just rolled on the mats or has a more extensive martial arts exposure. Feints and fakes are such a big part of setting up your attacking forays and it really reminded me of that. Chess while they're playing checkers.

Did notice this. I wonder if he just rolled on the mats or has a more extensive martial arts exposure. Feints and fakes are such a big part of setting up your attacking forays and it really reminded me of that. Chess while they're playing checkers.

I think the jiu jtsu has certainly helped. He's also just supremely talented.

Will probably post about this in the media thread if no-one else has made the connection but yeah Shuey looks a tick so far
Shuey is one of the most underrated midfielders of the 2010’s and his footy iq and class was up there. A smart footballer like Harley will pick things up quickly from him but what I’m waiting to see is guys like Ginbey, Hewett and Chesser learn off him. They’ll take a bit more time hut I do think Shuey is a vital addition to the coaching ranks

Remember 30 years ago when Sumich was my favourite player?

It makes me sad to be true

He was a great player - can't take that away from him ever.

Bit of a dickhead these days though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back