Player Watch #1 - Steven May - All Australian FB

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh I hate Lockhart in defence even more. Then Omac, but Smith is a fast finishing 3rd

Lockhart has probably played no footy in the backline throughout his entire football career including juniors to now. I think he deserves a bit of a break honestly.

Lockhart has probably played no footy in the backline throughout his entire football career including juniors to now. I think he deserves a bit of a break honestly.
But what's the point? Unless he is gonna turn into a new age Whelan what does he add? Can't defend or mark it. He's just being thrown too the wolves down there and I don't mind him as a player

But what's the point? Unless he is gonna turn into a new age Whelan what does he add? Can't defend or mark it. He's just being thrown too the wolves down there and I don't mind him as a player

Thats what I'm saying, it's no his fault, he's learning on the job.

But like I said what's the upside of him in defence? Is he really the air apparent to Jetta?

I reckon he shows some flashes, dont doubt his hardness for a little fella. It's stuff like defensive positioning and knowing when to go with his opponent in a marking contest that sometimes he struggles with. Waits down for crumbs like a small forward does far too often. Which is probably what he's been his whole career.

I reckon he shows some flashes, dont doubt his hardness for a little fella. It's stuff like defensive positioning and knowing when to go with his opponent in a marking contest that sometimes he struggles with. Waits down for crumbs like a small forward does far too often. Which is probably what he's been his whole career.
100%. He goes front and centre constantly and goes blind to his opponent. He's gotta be more unselfish.

But I just don't see the reward for investment in defence here.

I think a lot of the angst with May is simply what the club paid for him (salary and trade wise).

He’s generally a good KPD in regards to stopping his opponents but makes a lot of skill errors. Must admit I thought we we’re getting a better player when we traded for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, thats why like I said to TK, forgive me for holding him to higher standards than Oscar. Playing solid defensively is expected every week.

His disposal and intercept marking was far better at GC , had more of a physical presence too.

Maybe I was just unlucky and saw every game he played well tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, thats why like I said to TK, forgive me for holding him to higher standards than Oscar. Playing solid defensively is expected every week.
Right but when you're playing in crap team whose midfield exposes you every week how the * can you be better than solid?

Right but when you're playing in crap team whose midfield exposes you every week how the fu** can you be better than solid?

?

It's not about him being solid defensively that's my issue. It's his brain farts and disposal that is shitting me up the wall.

Criticism of May is fair and I’ve been a big fan of his. We are paying for more than just solid defensively, his reputedly good ball use has been crap. Has time to turn it around but he’d want to get a move on.

Also agree our smalls in defensive 50 suck at the fall of the ball. Whoever is coaching them needs to be sacked problem has been there for years.

I think a lot of the angst with May is simply what the club paid for him (salary and trade wise).

He’s generally a good KPD in regards to stopping his opponents but makes a lot of skill errors. Must admit I thought we we’re getting a better player when we traded for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’s a pretty average AFL player, he’s playing this year as he has the previous 9 years in the league, nothing special just ok, if the club had given up a second rounder which much more closely resembled his value the deal would be looking much better even with the ridiculous salary.

As you say the problem is the club and many supporters convinced themselves we were getting a superstar and the reality is he’s never been close to that and at 28 it’s very unlikely he ever will be.

Needs to stop being aggro with others on his team and funnel that frustration into ironing blokes out from the other team. He's laid maybe 1 or 2 good tackles this year, simply not good enough. Looks scared to potentially rub someone out and disappoint the coaches.

You need to get over it mate. Both of yours and TKs lovechilds have been shithouse since the trade.

You both have far more in common with each other than you realise. ;)
We both are constants on the UFC form and seem to agree about on there i suppose

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Needs to find some confidence but you can see his value, especially with Oscar back in the team instead of Smith.

Not a great trade in hindsight given it appears we are a bit further away from a flag than we thought, but if we were closer he would add a lot of value.

He's been excellent defensively. Would love more intercepts and for him to get up the ground and use his kicking to open up the play. His kicking is wasted just bombing it 55 metres onto Gawn's head. Anyone can do that. The times he has kicked inside 50 have been bullets.

Also want to see him throw his weight around a bit.

Genuine gun. This is the May I was crapping on about when we traded for him from the GC that was MIA last year.

Disposal has been rock solid of late too. Doing everything id hoped for and more. Ridiculous amount of intercept marks the past few weeks.

Appreciate that he's stopped the dressing down of teammates on field too. But he's earnt the right to do so now with us regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back