Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher

Remove this Banner Ad

This morning watched Colby and Zane, on light duties, high marking vs the bag and then taking potshots at goal from each forward pocket. Bananas & set shots: both great skills, but Zane's straight line kicking really is a thing of wondrous beauty. One shot ended up bouncing across Arden St and stopping traffic, which Colby enjoyed. Good to see the young blokes enjoying themselves.

Griff was doing plenty of running, and completed a series of change-of-direction agility sprints - looked good. Looked happy. Big boy.

Don't think he'll leave based on all his comments and not really worth worrying about.
I think it would be pretty hard to leave a group like Josh Kelly that's built together through adversity and should be playing finals when Tassie comes into the comp to go through a tough franchise startup. Some family North fans as well which helps the connection.

Not worth worrying about.

If Mckercher wants to leave when we're in our prime contending period and potentially miss out on finals action for a competitive team to play for a start-up that won't be contending until he's well into his late 20's, good luck to him.

If we are competing deep into sept by then will be a good problem to have
If the club doesn’t start improving he won’t be the only young gun looking for greener pastures
If the club doesn't improve it will be on those younger players failing to do anything. They'll be just starting to hit their prime at that point.

I could quote something from JHF that said similar tbh.

I have no reason to doubt Colby, but the last 4-5 years has battle hardened North supporters for most scenarios.

The proof will be in the pudding soon enough.

If his management hold off on a contract extension, or he signs until 2027, their intent will be instantly revealed.

I'm fully expecting he gets a much bigger than normal pay package for 1st extension to compensate him for not coming out in 2027 and he signs a 4-5 years extension towards the end of the year. A contract we can front load anyway.

His management have to do the best by their player and he will for sure be getting massive offers.

Jon Ralph alluded to this on the coach yesterday, that part of the recruitment packages wont necessarily be a massive boosted salary cap, but a pool of money for one off signing bonus' for foundation players, outside the salary cap.

You would think McKercher (based on his talent projection) would likely get $1m+ a season salary offers and a $1m sign on bonus or something similar.

If we want to extend him past 2027, it will cost us, ALOT.

I could honestly see his management demanding an $800k per year contract extension for 5-6 years, to compensate for loss of earnings at the Tassie introduction.
Money talks unfortunately in most cases. Start winning and offer what is fair, for both us and player is the best we can do.

Money talks unfortunately in most cases. Start winning and offer what is fair, for both us and player is the best we can do.

I think in either scenario it’s likely he’s one of the highest paid players in history to the end of his career.

Unless his manager is completely incompetent, North will be giving him one of the most lucrative draftee extensions ever, with then a potentially monster third contract influenced by the Tassie introduction.

They’ll come for him. Hard.

Captaincy, million a year, payments outside the cap. The works.

He’d be better insane to turn it down.

Here’s hoping he is.
I’m currently in Phuket Thailand enjoying my 4th cocktail.
I love your statements, would love to reside in your head. Looking forward to watching you pop some tennis balls out of your ass after hitting bangla road. I think you’ll make a killing.

They'll have enough Tasmanians coming through the expectedly generous assistance that the AFL will provide. If the Devils want to use up their salary cap, they'll have some very good names available.

You'd be more nervous as a Fremantle or GWS supporter seeing Caleb Serong and Tom Green out of contract in 2027.

I’m currently in Phuket Thailand enjoying my 4th cocktail.
I love your statements, would love to reside in your head. Looking forward to watching you pop some tennis balls out of your ass after hitting bangla road. I think you’ll make a killing.
🤣 I’ve no idea what this even means. However, I think it might be the greatest thing I’ve ever read on BigFooty. I’m guessing there’s more than cocktails at play here.

They'll have enough Tasmanians coming through the expectedly generous assistance that the AFL will provide. If the Devils want to use up their salary cap, they'll have some very good names available.

You'd be more nervous as a Fremantle or GWS supporter seeing Caleb Serong and Tom Green out of contract in 2027.
I reckon there will be a lot of good players signing up until 2027.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

🤣 I’ve no idea what this even means. However, I think it might be the greatest thing I’ve ever read on BigFooty. I’m guessing there’s more than cocktails at play here.
Hmmm,,,the references to Bangla Road, and in response to Tennis Player Andy's comment "They’ll come for him. Hard"

I suspect he's making reference to the Katoey/Ladyboys.....although I'm not sure if him being on his 4th "cocktail" is making the same reference/innuendo and wonder if he really means "They'll come for me. Hard" Or maybe I've completely misconstrued it, obviously spent way too much time in Asia.

What sort of compensation will we get for McKercher?
Although you’d think by 2028 we’ll be smack bang in our premiership window
Pick 20. Really the only conceivable possibility is if we were to win the flag in 2027, Devils buy him a mansion and give him a Visa debit card and pin to their bank account with unlimited withdrawals for life. I just don't see it happening, he's gonna want success. Club just needs to create a good environment build bonds between all the young guys coming through together, and improve each year.

What sort of compensation will we get for McKercher?
Although you’d think by 2028 we’ll be smack bang in our premiership window
Picks 1 and 2.
They will need to trade the draft hand they’ve been given. He was a number 2 pick plus the time on development with him. I see picks 1 and 2, and will leave with 1.5 to 2m a year.

As I mentioned months ago, Colby won't be the "flight risk" that Ryley will be.....
What are you basing that on?
Wasn’t Sanders living in Melbourne prior to be drafted?
I doubt we have anything to worry about except for mega mega bucks being thrown his way.
Young adults leave Tassie for the mainland all the time & rarely go back until they retire, if at all

If we are competing deep into sept by then will be a good problem to have
If the club doesn’t start improving he won’t be the only young gun looking for greener pastures
If we aren’t competing deep into September by the time the Tassie Devils come into the league… I will be looking for greener pastures too!

All pre-season we were fed Ryley Sanders being an absolute superstar and potentially best kid in the draft.

Tassie team announced and immediately Colby’s the $2m man and no mention of Sanders. Why do the media love disrupting us so much. It’s so frustrating.
Classic blood in the water stuff.

If it bleeds it leads.

These leviathans of journalist integrity are taught that mayhem sells.

Why do the media love disrupting us so much. It’s so frustrating.
We’ve been a poorly run club and woefully performed onfield.

The target on our backs is hard to miss.

And footy media are exceptionally lazy.

Not worth worrying about.

If Mckercher wants to leave when we're in our prime contending period and potentially miss out on finals action for a competitive team to play for a start-up that won't be contending until he's well into his late 20's, good luck to him.
Plus, I’d imagine the draft compensation would be handsome and then some.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back