Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher

Remove this Banner Ad

It's amazing how football people live in places where there's jobs for football people. The idea that people don't want to live in Tasmania is just wrong. Of course some don't, but some would rather move from Victoria to QLD too.

Tasmanians generally love it here. What's not to love? It's a beautiful place with a great climate. The only downside is career opportunities. But that is changing.
I have no doubt Tasmanians love it.

I also think it is hilarious if Jack Riewoldt doesn't move there while he is an ambassador for the new club.

Tasmania is irrelevant regarding Colby.

The discussion regarding being a Tasmanian compared to North he has addressed by himself in the media.

Isn't he going to tas...in 2028 on 2m per year deal? Even though his current contract ends in 2026...then what? A gap year or take a 1 year contract?

Other than ablett, i can't think of any bluechip player going to a startup club in their first year.

Ablett went to gc due to breaking down of relationship with thompson and he was given the captaincy.

I miss that old rag on the train. Especially the missed opportunity part, or whatever it was called. “I was on the Epping line, tired from a long day at work. You wore a gorilla suit and made me laugh. Coffee?”

That was the good old days.

Wow we need to sign Kerch up on a 10 year contract and front load it to be $3,000,000 a year now so we don’t lose him in 2028 (if the Tassie Pissants even get off the ground) when they offer him $2,000,000 a year over 12 years 🤪

As mentioned earlier by someone ^ there’s always truth in what BoomerRoo says in regards to anything to do with tassie.
But… the media said he would leave and sign a $48 Million dollar deal, I'm going to spend every day worrying until he signs a contract extension AND if that contract extension is only until 2027 then I KNOW that means he's gone, because there's no other reason whatsoever to not sign longer. I wish an ITK would tell me what the true story is… Oh well.

Yes he has..... but his family hasn't.

The word around the footy circles I mix in, he's the one most likely to come back.

But hey, it's still not until 2028, a lot of time for anything to happen.

I didn't realize 24 year old footballers on ludicrous money generally want to live with their parents.

He will have been in Melbourne for 7 years by the time Tassie comes about.

I doubt it will come down to anything but life changing money, especially if he hooks up with a Melbourne girl (same applies to Colby)

Also, aren't his family from Launceston?

You can get to Hobart just about quicker from Melbourne than you can Launceston.

I didn't realize 24 year old footballers on ludicrous money generally want to live with their parents.

I doubt it will come down to anything but life changing money, especially if he hooks up with a Melbourne girl (same applies to Colby)

You can get to Hobart just about quicker from Melbourne than you can Launceston.
Can you imagine the amount they'd ask to "help out with bills"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bow to your knowledge of the situation :thumbsu:

It's amazing how football people live in places where there's jobs for football people. The idea that people don't want to live in Tasmania is just wrong. Of course some don't, but some would rather move from Victoria to QLD too.

Tasmanians generally love it here. What's not to love? It's a beautiful place with a great climate. The only downside is career opportunities. But that is changing.

I'd move to Tassie tomorrow if it had an international airport.

I mean you can want to live near your family without wanting to live with your family.

I bow to your knowledge of the situation :thumbsu:
Respectfully, there were people within the Kelly family who were certain that Josh was going to come to us in 2017 and obviously that didn't happen. Likewise, it may very well be the case that Dustin Martin himself, was certain that he was going to sign with us until the intervention of his father and Puma. Ditto Andrew Gaff. I really don't think sources, no matter how legitimate they are, are all that accurate in such a fluid situation. Unless you've been professionally headhunted yourself, then I don't think you can fully understand how decisions can change very quickly and without people closest to you having any idea which way you're going to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back