Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to throw a bit of a fire blanket on things before people get too worked up:

Is signing on long-term something you'd (Sheezel) speak to Colby McKercher about in time as well? Everyone looks at Tasmania coming into the competition and him being at the front of their mind.
We've actually spoken about it a little bit. He doesn't see it as a factor at all. He's a Launceston boy and I think the Tassie team would be based in Hobart so it's not like he's going home anyway. I think he's going to hopefully follow me.

Just to throw a bit of a fire blanket on things before people get too worked up:

Is signing on long-term something you'd (Sheezel) speak to Colby McKercher about in time as well? Everyone looks at Tasmania coming into the competition and him being at the front of their mind.
We've actually spoken about it a little bit. He doesn't see it as a factor at all. He's a Launceston boy and I think the Tassie team would be based in Hobart so it's not like he's going home anyway. I think he's going to hopefully follow me.
Hobart is close enough to Launceston that it constitutes home. Not really a big deal for his mates to travel down and watch, he’ll play four times a year up north.

Colby’s been quite open that he finds the Tassie talk annoying. My suggestion to the club is build him a life in Melbourne so that he feels like Melbourne’s home. Not every Tassie kid is going back home - some leave and have no intention to return.

I love his game and what he brings. His kicking is a delight and will really change our ball movement. Really think we’ve got an absolute gun our hands, quite composed when mopping up tricky situations in D50.

However, although he is trying, he’s a bit of defensive liability at the moment with ball in the air. A few times he’s made contact and been right there in the 1 on 1 marking contest and just lacks the size and height to compete in the air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put him on Stephen’s wing and put Berg or Hards in his defensive role.
We need some more players that can defend in the back half and Colby can play almost the same role from the wing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrific first two games, but by god did he look better in that 10 minute period in the second when he was up around the F50.

He was tearing Freo apart.

Anyone that has watched him knows that his biggest strength is his ability to attack the F50 arc with speed and either deliver or kick the goal himself. He’s a goal kicking midfielder and a scoring machine.

He needs to be playing on the wing ASAP, we need the ball in his hands forward of center.

Bergman was BOG yesterday playing Colby’s role back and Stephens and Tucker have no place playing on the wing ahead of him.

Terrific first two games, but by god did he look better in that 10 minute period in the second when he was up around the F50.

He was tearing Freo apart.

Anyone that has watched him knows that his biggest strength is his ability to attack the F50 arc with speed and either deliver or kick the goal himself. He’s a goal kicking midfielder and a scoring machine.

He needs to be playing on the wing ASAP, we need the ball in his hands forward of center.

Bergman was BOG yesterday playing Colby’s role back and Stephens and Tucker have no place playing on the wing ahead of him.
I saw him with about 1 min left in the game pull sore like around his hamstring . But took himself off gingerly . Hopefully just cramp .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back