Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you basing that on?
Wasn’t Sanders living in Melbourne prior to be drafted?
I doubt we have anything to worry about except for mega mega bucks being thrown his way.
Young adults leave Tassie for the mainland all the time & rarely go back until they retire, if at all
If you are going to listen to anyone's inside info on Tassie based football, BR would be the one to listen to.

All pre-season we were fed Ryley Sanders being an absolute superstar and potentially best kid in the draft.

Tassie team announced and immediately Colby’s the $2m man and no mention of Sanders. Why do the media love disrupting us so much. It’s so frustrating.

Colby played well Round 1 and Sanders got subbed out

Matthew Richardson and Jack Riewoldt are very emotional about the new team. But I doubt either could have been lured during their careers.

And don’t they both still live in Melbourne?

Let’s make the guys feel at home and the rest will take care of itself.

What are you basing that on?
Wasn’t Sanders living in Melbourne prior to be drafted?
I doubt we have anything to worry about except for mega mega bucks being thrown his way.
Young adults leave Tassie for the mainland all the time & rarely go back until they retire, if at all
Young people (myself included) usually leave Tassie for employment opportunities. I don't think Colby is going to have to worry about getting a job lol

Matthew Richardson and Jack Riewoldt are very emotional about the new team. But I doubt either could have been lured during their careers.

And don’t they both still live in Melbourne?

Let’s make the guys feel at home and the rest will take care of itself.
Both Richardson and Riewoldt have Melbourne-based media commitments. I wouldn't be surprised if Riewoldt ended up returning home in some sort of role with the club.

Both Richardson and Riewoldt have Melbourne-based media commitments. I wouldn't be surprised if Riewoldt ended up returning home in some sort of role with the club.
Leigh Matthews, Jonathan Brown and Luke Hodge all live in QLD but make it work. Dennis Commetti lived in Perth and pretty sure Bruce in Adelaide.

If Riewoldt or Richardson wanted to live in Tasmania they could make it work.

Tim Lane too I’d say.

To paraphrase Damo, it is interesting how a lot of the pro-Tasmania voices don’t actually live there.

Most kids from outside Tasmania would rather live in Melbourne. A lot of Tasmanians would rather live in Melbourne too.

Leigh Matthews, Jonathan Brown and Luke Hodge all live in QLD but make it work. Dennis Commetti lived in Perth and pretty sure Bruce in Adelaide.

Tim Lane too I’d say.

To paraphrase Damo, it is interesting how a lot of the pro-Tasmania voices don’t actually live there.

Most kids from outside Tasmania would rather live in Melbourne. A lot of Tasmanians would rather live in Melbourne too.

• Number of professional football teams in QLD in 2024: 2
  • Number of professional football teams in SA in 2024: 2
  • Number of professional football teams in Tasmania in 2024: 0

No, it's not particularly interesting that former players in footy media didn't move to a state with no football team and accordingly no football media presence.

Is it interesting that Peter V'landys is pushing for a Las Vegas game, yet lives in Australia? It's just a nonsensical argument lol

Richo won't return to Tasmania to live. He loves Tassie and is incredibly supportive of the team, but his dad "Bull" played for Richmond, obviously he himself played for them, he works for Richmond, plus his other media commitments and his wife Gen is from Victoria..... he's settled there.

Jack has plenty of financial interests here in Tas, he's the one, plus has still got a lot of family here.

All pre-season we were fed Ryley Sanders being an absolute superstar and potentially best kid in the draft.

Tassie team announced and immediately Colby’s the $2m man and no mention of Sanders. Why do the media love disrupting us so much. It’s so frustrating.
Sanders is the one the media is worried about moving to the Devils. He is much more connected to the state. WBs are darlings in the eyes of the football world. North are toxic waste. It’s an easy narrative to spin. We have finally said goodbye to the vat of toxic waste that was the Thomas situation, parried the racism saga and a bunch of legitimate (but mostly BS) dramas and are now on the up and up, despite being one of the worst performing clubs in the history of the sport.

We are still and will remain the biggest, easiest target for the media, until we actual do the hard yards, show improvement and start winning games (and premierships).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanders is the one media is worried about moving to the Devils. He is much more connected to the state. WBs are darlings in the eyes of the football world. North are toxic waste. It’s an easy narrative to spin. We have finally said goodbye to the vat of toxic waste that was the Thomas situation, parried the racism saga and bunch of legitimate (but mostly BS) dramas and are now on the up and up, despite being one of the worst performing clubs in the history of the sport.

We are still and will remain the biggest, easiest target for the media, until we actual do the hard yards, show improvement and start winning games (and premierships).

People here are pretty scarred, many debbie downers at the moment and I can't blame them at all as I feel it too but I am pretty confident we will show encouraging improvement this year.

Tim Lane too I’d say.

It's amazing how football people live in places where there's jobs for football people. The idea that people don't want to live in Tasmania is just wrong. Of course some don't, but some would rather move from Victoria to QLD too.

Tasmanians generally love it here. What's not to love? It's a beautiful place with a great climate. The only downside is career opportunities. But that is changing.

Ryley has spent the last 3 years living in Melbourne.
As mentioned earlier by someone ^ there’s always truth in what BoomerRoo says in regards to anything to do with tassie.

I’m choosing to take the Oscar Wilde approach to it.
Hope Tasmania is sufficiently up to date with its laws so that Homosexuality isn’t a prison sentence… on the other hand… would not be that shocked if it was still on the books…

It was taken off the books in the ‘90s from memory.
Phew, there I was thinking I could transport 50kgs of potatoes in Perth, own a rabbit in Brisbane without a magicians license and throw a bag of cats and dogs into the parramatta river then try that down there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back