Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

Remove this Banner Ad

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the other day the Pick we got from the Hawks for Tommy was traded into getting us Florent and Hayward
If that's the case, it's a win for us, and for Hawthorn

If I recall correctly, we got pick 14 and 52 for Mitchell and 57. So we mostly paid for Hayward out of our own pocket.

IE - we got fleeced by the enemy.

If I recall correctly, we got pick 14 and 52 for Mitchell and 57. So we mostly paid for Hayward out of our own pocket.

IE - we got fleeced by the enemy.

After reading the article I had a look at the 2016 draft and this is what Sydney did
We got 14& 52 from Hawks
We traded 52 (mitchell trade) & 39 for 31
we traded 14 (mitchell Trade), 17 & 31 (mitchell Trade) for Picks 9, 19 and 49
We took Florent at 11 and Hayward at 21, which would be the 9 and 19 , a large part down to the Mitchell trade

trade2016.PNG

Last edited:

My concern is captaining us through tough times takes too much from Kennedy's game. Very few can manage a captaincy through adversity, especially when we rely so much on him to play so much better than most. It risks becoming a vicious circle. Josh really needs to be a bit selfish and focus purely on his own game. The team will follow his example.

I really dont think kennedys drop off is physical drop off or age...i just think he is out of form with a niggle... the guy deserves a break, hes been in form for 8 years straight,and now he should retire after a quiet start to the season.

Kennedys game is built on clean hands and brute strength,2 traits that dont necessarily diminish quickly with age..he will turn this form round and we will all look very silly in a few weeks.

Hanners on the other hand is a different boat altogether, his best trait is that he can run, atm he is struggling to get into a canter...he has a pretty significant injury...my guess is op

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much better game obviously but also moving better and more alert

Still think he has dealt with some injury there along the waY

Also saw home his form impacts us so much and we need to plan for him falling away

I think Dawson is that plan, just can’t get on the field.

Longmire on Kennedy:

Sydney captain Josh Kennedy will be in a race against time to prove he's recovered from back spasms ahead of next week's clash with Gold Coast.

"It tightened up, (I'm) not sure how he'd go going into a six-day break," Longmire said.

"He's reasonably confident, he's had it before, it settles down after a couple of days. We'll have to wait and see."

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-07-15/kennedy-to-race-the-clock

**** risking him v the suns,
It's an ongoing thing, every game he plays or time he trains it's a risk. Numerous day to day activities are a risk.

Trust me, if it hasn't recovered, he won't be able to hide it... no matter how stoic he is!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back