AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Legitimately forgot he was even out there. Didn't do much today. Disappointing after his promising Marsh form.

He's got the media team on his side.

That must count for something.
He's got me against him, so that seemingly will help

Forced to play a role he is not up to. Needs at least one big KPF in the side so he can be the lead up player. He hardly touched it but to give him credit he did not stop leading all game.

I doubt the new guy kicks 3 without Laverde in the team.

I think he is doing ok, just not getting much ticked off on the stat sheet.

watched the highlights of the scrath match. Surely the give Lav a go over Townsend.
He marked well. Kicked a few (some were handoffs), set a few up. But at least he can mark the ******* ball.

watched the highlights of the scrath match. Surely the give Lav a go over Townsend.
He marked well. Kicked a few (some were handoffs), set a few up. But at least he can mark the ******* ball.
I'd still prefer Townsend. Granted neither of them are world beaters. But at least Towner tackles hard, knows how to position himself and always applies pressure. Laverde just isn't AFL standard.

I'd still prefer Townsend. Granted neither of them are world beaters. But at least Towner tackles hard, knows how to position himself and always applies pressure. Laverde just isn't AFL standard.
Townsend barely looks that either, I’d have Lav in over Townsend every day of the week personally

Townsend barely looks that either, I’d have Lav in over Townsend every day of the week personally
I respect that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's Wayne Carey or anything. But I haven't really seen Townsend just plodding along or watching the play go by. He's always trying to get involved and looking for a fresh set of ribs to crack. Love to see it.

Townsend is in the side for his pressure and tackling, the role Baguley played a bit, and Smith and Snelling have also filled.

Laverde doesn’t really give you that.

Townsend was average on Saturday but wasn’t Pat Malone in that regard.

There's no difference between Laverde and Townsend if they're going to be stuck playing full forward out of the goal square. For one, they're playing on blokes with an extra 10cm in height and reach. For two, we can't kick it to their advantage for s**t.

I respect that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's Wayne Carey or anything. But I haven't really seen Townsend just plodding along or watching the play go by. He's always trying to get involved and looking for a fresh set of ribs to crack. Love to see it.
I mean it depends on what we need more, Townsend offers more pressure but Laverde is the bigger threat on the lead and a marking option which I feel we lacked more than a lack of forward pressure against the Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference in pressure is perception. Laverde's pressure is fine.

The one thing Townsend does which if Laverde could add to his game, we wouldn't be having this discussion, is cleanly catch the thing 9/10 and kicks straight.

Laverde has every other aspect of Townsend's game covered and can actually read the game well enough to play as a high possession half forward. We just don't use him in that role.

From my limited viewing of Townsend he looks like a wrestle and push off for a mark type forward and has provided me no evidence to believe his reserves career was an oversight.

As ordinary as Laverde has been at times he hits the ball on leads and can take a pack mark. As poor as Laverde has been so far he has more upside and less exposure at this level. Has to play a block of games as soon as we are out of premiership contention lol.

The one thing Townsend does which if Laverde could add to his game, we wouldn't be having this discussion, is cleanly catch the thing 9/10 and kicks straight.

Laverde has every other aspect of Townsend's game covered and can actually read the game well enough to play as a high possession half forward. We just don't use him in that role.
If Laverde’s pressure was fine he’d be in the side, obviously it’s not.

Townsend is in the side for his pressure and tackling, the role Baguley played a bit, and Smith and Snelling have also filled.

Laverde doesn’t really give you that.

Townsend was average on Saturday but wasn’t Pat Malone in that regard.
I mean it depends on what we need more, Townsend offers more pressure but Laverde is the bigger threat on the lead and a marking option which I feel we lacked more than a lack of forward pressure against the Blues.

Considering how rudderless and short our forwardline looked when Smack went into the ruck, i dont think we are in a position to choose one of Townsend or Laverde. I would imagine that at this point we could, and probably should, be playing both.

Considering how rudderless and short our forwardline looked when Smack went into the ruck, i dont think we are in a position to choose one of Townsend or Laverde. I would imagine that at this point we could, and probably should, be playing both.

I don’t think we need another mid sizer. We need another proper marking target. Personally - at the moment - i’d go McKernan, Hooker, Stringer, Raz, Tippa, Townsend.

Laverde for Townsend maybe, but I wouldn’t be taking any of the others out for him.

Townsend should probably be in the middle anyway. I'm 99% certain that's what a particular legendary Essendon recruiting figure said that's what he was for and there's no better time than now for an inside bull to appear.

Townsend should probably be in the middle anyway. I'm 99% certain that's what a particular legendary Essendon recruiting figure said that's what he was for and there's no better time than now for an inside bull to appear.

Townsend can play the odd stoppage, but isn't an inside midfielder though. Better off with Hibberd or Clarke if we want that.

Do you think he'd still be out of the side if he converted the 2 - 3 opportunities he gets a game into 1.5 - 2 goals instead of his current rate? That's a pretty big call.
Well obviously not, if you can’t kick goals you keep your place in the side if you provide great pressure/ contest. When was the last time Laverde scored 3+ goals in a game though? Port 2018?
and how many times has he done that in his career. Laverde looks great in patches and catches the eye live, then you look at his stats after the game and he’s had 6 touches.

I don't think they play the same role. Townsend is there to provide pressure and to kick a goal or two whilst Lavarde is more of a big mid type that benefits from the pressure Townsend applies.

Townsend won the JJ Liston trophy as an inside midfielder in 2017.
The Liston is never a true reflection of who the best player in the VFL is. If it were Gribble wouldn't have finished top 10 last year let alone winning it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back