Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

I always have a soft spot for players who try and break lines with either speed or kicking. Short just needs to continue to work on his defensive side and he will become a very handy player. Decision making can also be questionable but thats more to do with a lack of experience and a brave intent to take the game on than a low footy iq imo.

I always have a soft spot for players who try and break lines with either speed or kicking. Short just needs to continue to work on his defensive side and he will become a very handy player. Decision making can also be questionable but thats more to do with a lack of experience and a brave intent to take the game on than a low footy iq imo.
He definitely needs to defend better.

The difference imo is Broad defends first, and is very good at it on talls and smalls.
I agree...and Short can't swap to play on a larger forward if they try and pull Rance up the ground or to a dead pocket

As a side note.... Jayden walked onto punt rd yesterday into the vfl huddle. I sat next to him in his first season and definitely don't recall him having the height he has now.
Looked at least 180cm, possibly more... I have always liked what he has to offer... I'm sure he will continue to grow with more consistent time at the top level...imho

I don’t think he’s done much wrong since he’s been in the mix. Should be giving him the ball as much as possible.
Massive leg the little man hit the top of the goal post from outside 50 Against the Crows a 65m drop punt!!
I’m not sure he gets a gig in our backline once Vlas and Broady are back but handy player to have in the 22 because of the number of roles he can play

Massive leg the little man hit the top of the goal post from outside 50 Against the Crows a 65m drop punt!!
I’m not sure he gets a gig in our backline once Vlas and Broady are back but handy player to have in the 22 because of the number of roles he can play
He should be playing on the wing.

Has to defend less 1v1 and his run and carry combined with booming kick suits our game plan beautifully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to see him with ball in hand just forward of center. Just quietly I don't think Jack would mind either. His delivery would be drool worthy.

I remember seeing his draft video & thinking the same thing then.....But just quietly I trust the coaches in their development plans....

I agree, he should probably be on a wing at the moment. Probably can’t have him down back when we already have Houli and Ellis down there who are also rebound first type defenders. The role Short is playing should go to Broad.

I really liked his game on the weekend though, he should come up to a wing and a Cellis should be dropping back to the seconds, long before I’d be dropping Short.

Drop Bellis and keep Shorty. Bellis back to his squibing best. Thought we were past this. Has s**t himself under the high ball and dropped marks at least 3 times already in the past 2 weeks.

There is a queue at HB. Short, Houli, Ellis, Broad, Menadue, Markov even Garthwaite possibly. So BEllis would not want to regress back to his pre 2017 form. He does give good run and carry, but so do Menadue and Markov, so he better not cough up uncontested marks and any more panicky left foot out on the full kicks because Dimma was not impressed.
What is interesting this year is that finally we have some good young players AFL ready in the wings, with the new recruits like Balta and Higgins close also.

There is a queue at HB. Short, Houli, Ellis, Broad, Menadue, Markov even Garthwaite possibly. So BEllis would not want to regress back to his pre 2017 form. He does give good run and carry, but so do Menadue and Markov, so he better not cough up uncontested marks and any more panicky left foot out on the full kicks because Dimma was not impressed.
What is interesting this year is that finally we have some good young players AFL ready in the wings, with the new recruits like Balta and Higgins close also.
Looks like Menadue is being groomed for hb role if his recent VFL games are anything to go by. No doubt he can play that role but I still reckon he’ll end up playing on the wing and Markov across hb. Shorty could be our long term small defender also capable of rebounding

I'd love to see him with ball in hand just forward of center. Just quietly I don't think Jack would mind either. His delivery would be drool worthy.

I remember seeing his draft video & thinking the same thing then.....But just quietly I trust the coaches in their development plans....

They should call Shorty 'Silk' ..... but we wasted that tag on the other bloke who never gets the pill :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeh I liked his game against the Crows. Once Vlas and Broad are back though they are much better pure defenders. Short should play up the ground. The challenge is what to do on the wing position when we have Menadue, Edwards, B Ellis on the list as well. Theres only so many HBFs / wingers you can pick each week. We have the same question with small forwards.

Depth is great, but depth also means players leave to seek more opportunity. Short is too good for the VFL. Hed get a game in atleast 10 other sides as a developing running halfback.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back