Autopsy 2 point loss to Giants. - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a close look at the Kelly goal. What the heck was Lloyd doing? Looked like he was manning up on McInnerny.. He's a senior player, really piss poor.
Yep all sucked in too close to the contest, Reid hit it to the right spot just needed someone on the outside to pressure it through for a behind

Yep all sucked in too close to the contest, Reid hit it to the right spot just needed someone on the outside to pressure it through for a behind

I don't think Reid could have hit it to a worse spot if he tried. He tapped it straight to Kelly right in front of the goal. It was poor awareness in many respects. Yes, someone should have been marking Kelly, but the tap was very helpful in serving it up on a platter for him.

You'll be disappointed to learn that Buddy will be 'rested ' in our now time of need next week. The guy couldn't move in the last. We are parading him out at SCG games for pure marketing purposes to win tge crowds.
He won't play next week in order to be right for the next SCG game.
In the mean time, the other forwards have been drained of their confidence by having to move out of the way of the Buddy Show.
I only hope they can find it again next week.
I love it :)

Somebody said on this board recently he's a depth player lol.
haha.. I was commenting on there being good depth in the forwards..... and mids, but not so much depth i defence
not that Hayward is a depth player
It'll be interesting when Heeney comes back and who goes out?

Lloyd has been pretty average this season to date

He won’t be getting dropped though

Be good if one of Cunningham, hewett or Lloyd could offer something offensively
Think criticism of our defence is misplaced.

It was back to the bad old days of the ball constantly coming i50 & we had to hack it out to a wall of Giants.

The inability (or lack of intent) to move the ball thorough the mids was the main problem.

We can scrutinise the Kelly goal all we like, but at the end of the day that was one of 30+ scoring shots we let them have. Clearly there was a lot going wrong for us. Our youngsters struggled with the physicality of the game (understandable), our mids wasted it (predictable), our defenders lost their opponents too often all night (frustrating), our foot skills from the first three weeks were just off (understandable), and our structures took a beating with the Hickey injury (also understandable.)

It was just one of those matches where not a lot went right at all, besides a few great individual performances and opposition inaccuracy. Games like this were always going to come. Pre-season the consensus on here seemed to be that we'd be happy to show signs of improvement and win a few more games than last year, even if finals were only a slim chance.

Well after five rounds, we're one win shy of last year's total win count, we've played some outstanding games that we weren't yet capable of last year, we've beaten some formidable opponents we weren't yet capable of beating last year, and we are still sitting in 3rd spot on the ladder, ahead of a handful of teams we all expected to be better than us. Take the good with the bad and just be happy with where we're at, because it's still ahead of where even the most optimistic Swans fans expected us to be.

I think what that game really showed was the lack of a really good outside mid. We ended up losing it on the inside but we got our hands on it plenty, but were lacking running players to dish it out to.

It's telling that Our two best disposal getters were Lloyd and Dawson, all of our inside mids got around 20 possessions, and Blakely Warner McInerney and Florent only got around a dozen touches.

It's easy to blame our inside players.for hack kicking it forward, but it was often from a lack of options imo. Our inside possession chains often ended with a kick for distance, whereas theirs ended with a handball to an unmarked runner. A good two way running outside player which is hopefully that's what Blakely and Stephens Florent etc can become would make a real difference to these sorts of games where we are t on top inside imo

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

My favourite thing post game was the guy on Facebook who when challenged on his call to bring Gould despite not being close to ready based on his reserves form. His answer was "he has something you can't teach, size." It was then pointed out that the three other taller defenders who outperformed him (P.McCartin, Brand and O'Connor) are all taller than Gould.

Come on, which one of you was it?? Own up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think what that game really showed was the lack of a really good outside mid. We ended up losing it on the inside but we got our hands on it plenty, but were lacking running players to dish it out to.

It's telling that Our two best disposal getters were Lloyd and Dawson, all of our inside mids got around 20 possessions, and Blakely Warner McInerney and Florent only got around a dozen touches.

It's easy to blame our inside players.for hack kicking it forward, but it was often from a lack of options imo. Our inside possession chains often ended with a kick for distance, whereas theirs ended with a handball to an unmarked runner. A good two way running outside player which is hopefully that's what Blakely and Stephens Florent etc can become would make a real difference to these sorts of games where we are t on top inside imo

Sorry Deccas could not disagree more. The amount of times our outside mids were in the clear in space and all they needed was a quick handball receive to be off with it, but were burnt in favour of a hack kick. And no I'm not just blaming JPK. I think Parker, Mills, Warner, and even Florent himself when he goes inside, are all just as bad. They don't seem to have the awareness to know there's a free player, nor the composure to get it out to them. It's been one of the great frustrations of mine watching our midfield over the last three or four years, watching damaging players in space waving their arms around ready to get the handball receive and then being snubbed.

It starts with the inside mids and they need to take accountability for it, as I think the outside mids are holding up their end of the bargain and getting no reward for it.

Was great to see Hayward and not Rohan play yesterday!!
Hayward got 18 touches marks, tackles, goals, goal assists - good game. If he averages around 15 touches / game (and not the 5-6 Rohanesque), he'll have a bloody good year.

Somebody said on this board recently he's a depth player lol.
That was probably me (lol?)

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It is one game.
Hayward had a very good game without doubt, I don’t want to take that away from him.

However, when Heeney comes back who goes out? Easy to point how well Hayward did, but he was playing Heeneys role.... and Heeney will play Heeneys role when he returns and then it’s quite possible that effects Hayward significantly if he stays in the team (less effective).

Then you have to weigh up whether he, in that structure, gives more than Papley, Gulden and Wicks, particularly from a defensive point of view.

Great game by Hayward but let’s see him back it up. Structurally there may still be challenges in him getting regular senior action if everyone is fit.

You just articulated my thoughts! Good suggestions re back 6. Sounds much more balanced

I've already known you watch games in a parallel universe Caesar no worries
Sorry Deccas could not disagree more. The amount of times our outside mids were in the clear in space and all they needed was a quick handball receive to be off with it, but were burnt in favour of a hack kick. And no I'm not just blaming JPK. I think Parker, Mills, Warner, and even Florent himself when he goes inside, are all just as bad. They don't seem to have the awareness to know there's a free player, nor the composure to get it out to them. It's been one of the great frustrations of mine watching our midfield over the last three or four years, watching damaging players in space waving their arms around ready to get the handball receive and then being snubbed.

It starts with the inside mids and they need to take accountability for it, as I think the outside mids are holding up their end of the bargain and getting no reward for it.

wow. Its almost like I was at a different game reading this thread. We led all game barr the last minute. Buddy took a clean mark right in front, had his arms chopped and the bloke land in his back and it still wasn't paid. The most egregious decision since the non-call that decided the game between the cats and the lions, both made by that new little blond ump (I think - how the * did he get another game at AFL level after buckling to the cats home crowd in round 2).

Good problem to have.
That was probably me (lol?)

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It is one game.
Hayward had a very good game without doubt, I don’t want to take that away from him.

However, when Heeney comes back who goes out? Easy to point how well Hayward did, but he was playing Heeneys role.... and Heeney will play Heeneys role when he returns and then it’s quite possible that effects Hayward significantly if he stays in the team (less effective).

Then you have to weigh up whether he, in that structure, gives more than Papley, Gulden and Wicks, particularly from a defensive point of view.

Great game by Hayward but let’s see him back it up. Structurally there may still be challenges in him getting regular senior action if everyone is fit.
Wicks has been quieter the last 2 weeks after a tremendous start to the year. I think these 2 are competing for this position. Wicks slightly ahead but if Hayward can string another game it'll create a good headache for selectors.

wow. Its almost like I was at a different game reading this thread. We led all game barr the last minute. Buddy took a clean mark right in front, had his arms chopped and the bloke land in his back and it still wasn't paid. The most egregious decision since the non-call that decided the game between the cats and the lions, both made by that new little blond ump (I think - how the fu** did he get another game at AFL level after buckling to the cats home crowd in round 2).
Number 22?

What sort of a response is that
I reckon Deccas thinks when you watch a game, you watch for 'hack kicks' and inside mids failing to get the ball to a clean outside player.. generally watching for the inside mids to butcher it = parallel (negative) universe
Apologies for speaking for you Deccas..

No offence C88, but the GWS mids are all top picks, all really good players and all played really well.. Hard to stop in a congested game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back