Analysis 2014 Preseason & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats everyones thoughts on him?

From what I can tell he seemed to be tracking along fine for a first year player

He's 193 cm, would we really pick up another KPD on the rookie list with Smith on there? Retaining Vandaleur makes me think we will pick up a mid or maybe a small defender. We're not going to be in a position where we could/would want to promote 3 KPDs off the rookie list all at once at any stage next season

From what I can tell he seemed to be tracking along fine for a first year player

He's 193 cm, would we really pick up another KPD on the rookie list with Smith on there? Retaining Vandaleur makes me think we will pick up a mid or maybe a small defender. We're not going to be in a position where we could/would want to promote 3 KPDs off the rookie list all at once at any stage next season
197cm, I think.

Yeah, Freo don't really need any more key position prospects.

Vanders
Smith
Pearce
Apeness
Tabs
Silvagni

In addition to veterans like Johnno, McPharlin, Pav.

How many do clubs generally have on their list?

Wafl watch.
Vanderleurs weakness appears to be his decision-making, but it sounded like he improved in this area as the year went on.

Tanner SmithTanner played on Ben Saunders for the game where he showed good signs in the one-on-one contests for the most part of the day. He bodied up well and spoiled in a number of occasions and showed good strength. He also looked to spread off his opponent at different times.

Tom VandeleurTom defended well with some good starting points where he released his opponent into congestion and looked to roll off and help when he could. In a couple of occasions he put himself under pressure with his decision-making. Overall Tom is continuing to show some good signs of physicality and good bodywork.

rd21

Tom VandeleurTom played in defence opposed to Anthony Tsalikis for the game, holding him goalless. Tom’s focus through the season has been on his physicality and his starting positions. Overall this was good for the day, particularly around his bodywork and ability to reposition the forward.

rd 20

Tom VandeleurTom played on a number of opponents across half back. He ran some good angles in the second quarter where he was able to take a good mark inside defensive 50. He kicked a good goal late in the game where he sagged off his opponent and kicked it inside 50 to put Peel back in front. Tom is continuing to grow with his awareness of opponent, his checking and bodywork.

compared to rd 7

Tom Vandeleur 15 disposals (9 kicks, 6 handballs) 4 marks

Tom played half back for the game. He showed passages where he looked to rebound out of defence, one where he kicked to advantage resulting in a goal assist. He still needs to work on his composure down back and having a strong impact in the aerial contest.

I'm confused - including the rookie spot reserved for Tanner Smith, do we get 2 or 3 rookie selections?

Its interesting that the AFL rookie draft preview predicts most clubs targeting talls. So as much as we might want someone like a Keenan Ramsey to last to our pick, we might miss out on the 'best' of the draft slops. I wouldn't be surprised if the club selects a slightly more developed 20-25 year old tall player from a state league - that's where the big gap in our list is.

I'm confused - including the rookie spot reserved for Tanner Smith, do we get 2 or 3 rookie selections?

Its interesting that the AFL rookie draft preview predicts most clubs targeting talls. So as much as we might want someone like a Keenan Ramsey to last to our pick, we might miss out on the 'best' of the draft slops. I wouldn't be surprised if the club selects a slightly more developed 20-25 year old tall player from a state league - that's where the big gap in our list is.
3, the third being Cat B rookie - Hurley the Irishman.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-02/2014-nab-afl-rookie-draft-indicative-selection-order
No PSD involvment
Rookie Pick #13 - ?
Rookie Pick #31 - Will be Tanner Smith
International Player Pick #48 - Sean Hurley

Yeah, Freo don't really need any more key position prospects.

Vanders
Smith
Pearce
Apeness
Tabs
Silvagni

In addition to veterans like Johnno, McPharlin, Pav.

How many do clubs generally have on their list?
You can probably throw Hurley in there at 197cm too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Michael Manteit

Michael Manteit
Position: Defender
Height: 188 cm, Weight: 81 kg
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Michael Manteit is a fierce, ball winning defender whose standout attributes include his composure, efficiency and marking. Manteit’s ability to not only find the ball, but distribute it by foot make him a damaging prospect who has really bumped right up into draft contention off the back of a consistent year at TAC Cup level. One of few footballers who wears a glove each game, Manteit’s competitiveness and willingness to do the one per-centers and lead with a team-first attitude has him a favourite among coaches and in particular, recruiters.
Manteit reads the ball particularly well in flight, he can cut off forward entries with a strong intercept mark, and backs himself to take contested marks in the back half. He often took Sandringham’s kick-ins throughout 2014 and was among the top echelon of TAC Cup players to hit targets from kick-ins. Manteit chases, harasses and corrals his opponent, a trait which has defined him but it’s fine blend of defense as well as his attacking nature that makes him a really safe prospect.
He often creates run and carry from the back half by involving himself in a link of handballs. Manteit has an elite average in meters gained and handball receives (7.5) – and loves to make his opponent play accountable football. I especially love hearing from opposition coaches during the quarter breaks asking “who is on Manteit?”, that in a nutshell outlines his effectiveness and game impact as a defender. Manteit averaged 14 disposals at a super 80 per cent disposal efficiency at championship level from three games, including four marks and three tackles. Mainteit averaged 20 disposals, five marks and four tackles at TAC Cup level.

Michael Manteit also retweeted Ed Langdon's pre-draft profile before the draft so they are obviously close mates, and this club loves to draft in pairs

When the word is given that a delisted is to be re rookied isnt it the unwritten law he is untouchable

i remember hearing during the draft that the AFL have sent a list of delisted players who will be re-rookied to all clubs and that there players cannot be selected from this list.

but i could be wrong because it just sound like blah blah when i was waiting for our picks

i remember hearing during the draft that the AFL have sent a list of delisted players who will be re-rookied to all clubs and that there players cannot be selected from this list.

but i could be wrong because it just sound like blah blah when i was waiting for our picks

Those that couldn't be selected were the academy and father son nominated players.

I expect that if we take someone like Grimely then the Hawks will take Smith.

There'd be a gentleman's code among all clubs I suspect that delisted players intended for the rookie list aren't selected by other clubs.

That brings us to the question...do we draft Smith with our first or second pick? Surely he's more value than any kid who missed out on the national draft last week?

So we have two "live" picks is that correct?

We currently have the following guys on our R/L:
Moller - Ruckman (20)
Ballard - Midfielder (20)
Vandeleur - Key defender (19)
Smith* - Key defender (20)

Makes sense to me that we would jump on a mature aged guy with that final pick and preferrably a key forward considering we just drafted 4 mid types.

To me that leaves the door open for either:
Mitch Brown
Sam Grimley
KPF in a local league

Yes. Last year Richmond rookied Banfield even though Brisbane had committed to selecting him in the rookie draft

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-26/tigers-eye-delisted-lion
"The Lions delisted Banfield earlier this month but committed to redrafting him as a rookie, however the Tigers are believed to be keen on the small forward."

I would personally think the "good faith" goes out the door if you don't select said player with your first pick.

There'd be a gentleman's code among all clubs I suspect that delisted players intended for the rookie list aren't selected by other clubs.
You would hope so. However when the Hawks delisted Grimley they specifically stated if he does not get selected by another team. No other re-rookie announcement has done that. So I think Grimley is available to anyone with the Hawks blessing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back