Analysis 2014 Preseason & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't help but think if we and North had opposite picks we'd be talking about a rather different scenario. Luckily for North they drafted a couple of KPDs in the national draft so they'll be fine.

He was contracted for 2015, we either had to pay him out or re-rookie him, we said we would rookie him if nobody else wanted him. I think we were happy Geelong took him in the end, didn't sound like it was a surprise to the club so had probably helped him look for another home. Kid has a lot of talent but is forever injured and physically not sure he can put the required weight on to be a KPD, with another eternal cripple in Tarrant looking to go back to being a defender and Grima who is very iffy in terms of durability there are only so many cripples we can keep on the list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-03/dockers-pull-a-surprise-with-wafl-youngster

Selection No.13 – Ethan Hughes (Swan Districts)
List manager Brad Lloyd says: "He's a 188cm half-back. He's really well balanced and really smart with the way he goes about his footy. He's sort of caught our eye throughout the year as he improved. He's got a fair bit of scope from a development point of view as he worked through getting into a professional program at Peel and Swans and now coming in at an AFL level we think there's some real scope, using his clean hands and he's got a strong running ability and he's got good evasiveness and awareness and good agility. So we think there's some really good development potential with him over the coming years."

Selection No.31 – Tanner Smith (Fremantle)
Brad Lloyd says: "He has had some injury trouble in his first two years at the club. He's still a well-regarded player for the footy club as that developing key defender. He's important for the playing list. We delisted him but always had the plans to re-draft him onto the rookie list.

Selection No.48 – Sean Hurley (Ireland)
Brad Lloyd says: "He's been outstanding with his attitude. He's a really big boy. He's 196cm and he's got a really strong aerobic running capacity. He's come in and he's really given his all. We think we can develop him as a tall key position player. He hasn't looked out of place (with the Australian football). He did some of the pre-season with us last year so he's had time to prepare and hone the skills with the AFL ball. He's fine with his kicking and his ball handling. He's going well."

I'll be interested to see how the Krak goes. Didn't even know he was back in the mix. Seeing as Port took him (and they'd know best), wouldn't have minded nabbing him with our first pick.

I'll be interested to see how the Krak goes. Didn't even know he was back in the mix. Seeing as Port took him (and they'd know best), wouldn't have minded nabbing him with our first pick.
Was an Adelaide only selection. Was unwilling to move for family reasons. That was reason he left the Suns.

Bit of a delay in our pick

I wasn't following it this morning - are you being facetious or was there really a delay when it came to our pick?

I ask because if we did delay then it sounds like Harris may have been gilding the lily a bit for our supporters - if we really rated him #1 in the draft surely we wouldn't have hesitated.

I was at a Dockers function this morning and Harris got the text half way through his address to everyone. He told everyone that Freo rated Hughes #1 out of all the rookies so were happy to grab him with their only pick, athletic player who has all the fundamentals to become a great AFL player which they're looking to develop in their system. Plays a lot like Ibbo.

I wasn't following it this morning - are you being facetious or was there really a delay when it came to our pick?

I ask because if we did delay then it sounds like Harris may have been gilding the lily a bit for our supporters - if we really rated him #1 in the draft surely we wouldn't have hesitated.

There wasn't a huge delay - but it definitely stopped at our pick for a bit. At the time I was wondering if our first choice had been taken.

Could be anything though - taking time to read it out, the guy entering it in on the draft tracker being slow, update time on the afl tracker site. It was just something I noted when it got to us

There wasn't a huge delay - but it definitely stopped at our pick for a bit. Could be anything though - taking time to read it out, the guy entering it in on the draft tracker being slow, update time on the afl tracker site. It was just something I noted when it got to us

The draft tracker was a pile of crap. It told me who picks 7 to 11 were, but that picks 2 to 5 were still waiting for their selections

Lloyd said it was always a tough choice when it comes to selecting each player.

“We were working across players from the whole national pool, so it’s never easy with who you’re working through, but we thought Ethan was deserved of a rookie opportunity, so now it’s his to grab,” he said.

“In the end we got some size in Ethan about the 188cm mark, we’ve got Tanner as a key defender and Sean Hurley who will develop as a key defender as well, so we’ve got two key defenders coming in to hopefully fill those posts and Ethan who plays tall as well.

“We feel from a list management point of view that we’ve added to the key defensive stocks.”

A submarine cable? That must be fun to try repair when things go wrong.

Hope they have Dirk Pitt on retainer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone happen to know the reason he would've SIGNED with the suns then??
The issues arose while he was at the suns. It is why he walked from the suns a few weeks into a season. He has been in development programs since he returned to Port. Just because he signed for someone in the past ( and then walked out) doesn't mean he is happy to play anywhere now. No other club would touch him anyway.

Was an Adelaide only selection. Was unwilling to move for family reasons. That was reason he left the Suns.

Hes really not that good anyway, very flakey and still has that tiny build he had as an 18 year old.

Anyone happen to know the reason he would've SIGNED with the suns then??

Same reason everyone else did, $$$$.

I was very surprised at Krak selection too, last i heard he was playing amateurs for Maddington. Plucked from obscurity one would seem.

Yeh I think we are gonna keep trying for FA KPP, Maybe if we come down the ladder a little( post Pav, Sandi, Luke) we might start having a go at top 15 pick KPP in the next few years.
I keep on sayin it .We need to throw the kitchen sink at McCarthy next off season. He will be out of contract.

I was very surprised at Krak selection too, last i heard he was playing amateurs for Maddington. Plucked from obscurity one would seem.
Must be a different Krak, as he played in the SANFL for Port. Kicked 3 goals in the GF loss and whoever it was (can't be bothered going back through the posts) he isn't skinny. He's actually got a decent build for a mid/flanker type.

Being from Perth have any of you seen any of Blaine Boekhorst playing for Swan Districts. I just wanna get some opinions on whether he has the talent to succeed, and what you guys think of him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back