Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally expecting Freo to pick an inside mid with this pick. After watching us get destroyed in middle on the weekend I can see the recruiters becoming too concerned with the midfield again. Something that's perked my interest is Sydney themselves. Of course they got Mills and Heeney on the cheap but this senior core is holding them in better stead:

Parker: Pick 40
Hannebery: Pick 30
J.P. Kennedy: Cheap trade with Hawks.

We can definitely find gems like Neale if we leave the midfield to the later picks. Get the spine right first and we should be well off further down the line.

Totally expecting Freo to pick an inside mid with this pick. After watching us get destroyed in middle on the weekend I can see the recruiters becoming too concerned with the midfield again. Something that's perked my interest is Sydney themselves. Of course they got Mills and Heeney on the cheap but this senior core is holding them in better stead:

Parker: Pick 40
Hannebery: Pick 30
J.P. Kennedy: Cheap trade with Hawks.

We can definitely find gems like Neale if we leave the midfield to the later picks. Get the spine right first and we should be well off further down the line.
Neale played injured, Walters, Blakely and Bennell were missing from the team, Weller has been spoken about moving to the the midfield. The loss was shocking no doubt but a midfielder should be a our 3rd priority after Tall forward and general forward, i don't think our recruiters will be swayed over one game.

It will be interesting to see wat freo will do with pick 5.

I could see freo trading pick 5 with some like gws.

It could depend if someone like Kelly goes to st kilda, so say gws get two first rounders for him, like pick 10 and 12.

Freo trade 5 to gws for pick 12 and 17 which is wat gws will get if they finish second.

Or Freo trade 5 to gws for pick 12 + second rounder + Wilson. Or if that trade is to much mayb pick 5 for pick 10 or 12 and Wilson. This all depends on what Kelly does tho

It will be interesting to see wat freo will do with pick 5.

I could see freo trading pick 5 with some like gws.

It could depend if someone like Kelly goes to st kilda, so say gws get two first rounders for him, like pick 10 and 12.

Freo trade 5 to gws for pick 12 and 17 which is wat gws will get if they finish second.

Or Freo trade 5 to gws for pick 12 + second rounder + Wilson. Or if that trade is to much mayb pick 5 for pick 10 or 12 and Wilson. This all depends on what Kelly does tho

Nice to dream, but also GWS won't have a first rounder this year due to Whitfield issue.

5 for hypothetical 12 and Wilson is a fair bit of dreaming when they guy is contracted.

5 for 12 and their 2nd rounder (30-35) is about as good as you could hope and that's pretty bad.

5 for 2 late firsts is closer to the mark, maybe Richmond as they'll have 2 late firsts. Or obviously with Adelaide with McGovern deal.

Two gWs second pick ( come from collingwood and st kilda currently around 23 and 25 )

GWs own second rd pick go to Hawthorn.

I still think we are in greater need of quality players versus quantity so I am against downgrading unless we don't move too far down the order with our first pick and end up with multiple picks we can leverage. I'd personally much rather keep #5 than have two late firsts as the quality drops off a fair bit by then imo and the players we've taken late first in the past have generally been very vanilla - I don't think that is just coincidence.

Remember last year we traded just pick #3 for Cam McCarthy and picks #7, #34 and #72. Those picks sort of (after other trades) had us end up with Logue, Hamling and Ryan (from memory - I haven't checked so sorry if I've got one wrong). That's 4 players in our B22 and all of them filling key needs we had. However none of them are superstar key forwards or gun midfielders which you are far more likely to get early in the 1st round (not later in the 1st round or beyond).

Nice to dream, but also GWS won't have a first rounder this year due to Whitfield issue.

5 for hypothetical 12 and Wilson is a fair bit of dreaming when they guy is contracted.

5 for 12 and their 2nd rounder (30-35) is about as good as you could hope and that's pretty bad.

5 for 2 late firsts is closer to the mark, maybe Richmond as they'll have 2 late firsts. Or obviously with Adelaide with McGovern deal.

Yh good point I forgot gws won't have there own first rounder, I think Wilson tho we may be able get a bit cheaper or gws might let him go a little easier if it's true he wants to come home for personal family reasons.

My dream trade would be tho
Pick 5 + balic + Sheridan for hogan
A man can dream but realistically Melbourne would probably laugh us out the room .

I still think we are in greater need of quality players versus quantity so I am against downgrading unless we don't move too far down the order with our first pick and end up with multiple picks we can leverage. I'd personally much rather keep #5 than have two late firsts as the quality drops off a fair bit by then imo and the players we've taken late first in the past have generally been very vanilla - I don't think that is just coincidence.

Remember last year we traded just pick #3 for Cam McCarthy and picks #7, #34 and #72. Those picks sort of (after other trades) had us end up with Logue, Hamling and Ryan (from memory - I haven't checked so sorry if I've got one wrong). That's 4 players in our B22 and all of them filling key needs we had. However none of them are superstar key forwards or gun midfielders which you are far more likely to get early in the 1st round (not later in the 1st round or beyond).
Seriously? I'd take last years deal anytime. And if it was on the cards again this year I think it is exactly whatever require.

I also think Logue will be more than handy.

Yh good point I forgot gws won't have there own first rounder, I think Wilson tho we may be able get a bit cheaper or gws might let him go a little easier if it's true he wants to come home for personal family reasons.

My dream trade would be tho
Pick 5 + balic + Sheridan for hogan
A man can dream but realistically Melbourne would probably laugh us out the room .

Not if they're shopping him around.

Seriously? I'd take last years deal anytime. And if it was on the cards again this year I think it is exactly whatever require.

??? I said I'd only do it again if we got an outcome like we did last year (ie a trade massively in our favour). Not just to downgrade a pick #5 to get two late firsts or worse. #3 down to #7 is nothing when you add 3 more B22 players. But foregoing an elite player for two vanilla slices doesn't make sense imo.

I want you to be serious with this next question. Would you rather use pick 3 to get a gun talent in Anthony Morabito that had his career ruined by multiple injuries or use pick 3 to do what Freo did last year?

Turned out Freo did the smart move. GWS wanted pick 3 and Freo wanted them to pay overs for it too. Happy with how that trade ended last year.

Hell, I didn't mind the Harley Bennell trade(s). Traded picks 16 and 35 to get Bennell and pick 22. We then wanted pick 35 back and traded our 2016 2nd rounder which sadly with our drop turned to pick 21. we also traded pick 61 and got Pick 55 back to the suns to even that trade out.

Pick 22 turned out to be Darcy Tucker, Pick 35 turned out to be Harley Balic, pick 55 turned out to be sam Collins. Overall, Happy with tucker, sad with Balic possibly wanting to go back home despite being a gun player and I hold on to hope Collins can be a solid 150 gamer for freo.

??? I said I'd only do it again if we got an outcome like we did last year (ie a trade massively in our favour). Not just to downgrade a pick #5 to get two late firsts or worse. #3 down to #7 is nothing when you add 3 more B22 players. But foregoing an elite player for two vanilla slices doesn't make sense imo.

I am in the minority for this. I still wouldn't be against doing what west coast did in 2013. Eagles finished in the bottom 6 and got the pick 6. They traded their 1st and 3rd rounder which was pick 6 and 42 to Collingwood. Magpies gave up picks 11, 29 and 49, essentially their 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I don't mind trading picks 5 and 43 for 10, 28 and 46 or even 13, 31 and 49. At least we trade into the 2nd round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe I misunderstood your point. We need quality and quantity.

Gws don't lose their first pick this season, they lose 1000 points from their first pick.

If their first pick is #5 at the end of trade period they go to the draft with #21 which is a whole lot better than just losing #17 or #18.

As is my understanding
Surely not from their first pick after trading?

maybe I misunderstood your point. We need quality and quantity.
Last year I was fine with quantity because we had gaps all over the field. This year I think we need goal kickers (KPFs and dangerous smalls) and possibly one or more quality mids as well - I think we need more quality. So I think we'll be better off long term getting one almost guaranteed gun (either a key forward or gun mid) and then take some gambles with later picks (high risk prospects with big potential upsides) than a bunch of solid role-playing forwards. But of course it depends a fair bit on trade targets as well. I can't see us solving all our scoring issues by the end of the off-season - I'd probably be aiming to dothat by the end of the 2018 off season (through drafting and trading).

Last year I was fine with quantity because we had gaps all over the field. This year I think we need goal kickers (KPFs and dangerous smalls) and possibly one or more quality mids as well - I think we need more quality. So I think we'll be better off long term getting one almost guaranteed gun (either a key forward or gun mid) and then take some gambles with later picks (high risk prospects with big potential upsides) than a bunch of solid role-playing forwards. But of course it depends a fair bit on trade targets as well. I can't see us solving all our scoring issues by the end of the off-season - I'd probably be aiming to dothat by the end of the 2018 off season (through drafting and trading).
I am not a draft expert by any definition, but I have a different reading of this years draft. I don't think either of Brander or Fogarty come with anything like a guarantee to turn into a decent KPF for us, although I think both will be good players, and worth pick 5. My preferred is Fogarty with his versatility, leadership and reduced go home factor.

If we can end up with a deal that gets a shot at Naughton and possibly McGovern I would do it in a heartbeat. Both can play a role for us, no question. Realistically Naughton and a late first this year or next would do me. Very good midfielders available.

Gws don't lose their first pick this season, they lose 1000 points from their first pick.

If their first pick is #5 at the end of trade period they go to the draft with #21 which is a whole lot better than just losing #17 or #18.

As is my understanding
Don't think that is right. The 1000 pt sanction is correct but my understanding which is supported below is that the sanction is applied before trade period. So their pick 17 is pushed back to 70 odd. Therefore they don't have 17 or whatever pick around that time for trading but can trade back into the first round they will no doubt try to do.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/caeef5a86a35ce7f98ed8610c0148254

I also saw an afl.com.au article talking about the picks everyone would have based on respective ladder positions and GWS were not listed in the first round with an asterix to note they had dropped back to about 70.

Back