Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As mentioned earlier id be more than happy with haul of hill,oreilly and carter next year.
if we get that haul, I'd be planning a late September trip to Melbourne somewhere between 2019 and 2021

if we get that haul, I'd be planning a late September trip to Melbourne somewhere between 2019 and 2021
Hill and Carter is very plausible unless Carter rises to become a top 10 pick but I doubt that simply because he is not a midfielder. Small flankers don't go top 10 unless exceptional.

I don't think anybody on here really has much of an idea how good Dillan is yet (or at least where he is ranked in the draft class) so it is very possible he is a later pick in which case there is a decent chance we could get all 3.

Hill and Carter is very plausible unless Carter rises to become a top 10 pick but I doubt that simply because he is not a midfielder. Small flankers don't go top 10 unless exceptional.

I don't think anybody on here really has much of an idea how good Dillan is yet (or at least where he is ranked in the draft class) so it is very possible he is a later pick in which case there is a decent chance we could get all 3.
Really depend on Dillon U18 performance.
Next year WA might win the title.

1) Luke English (Perth)
2) Sydney Stack (Perth)
3) Ian hill (Perth)
3) Joyce ( East Freo )
4) Dillon. (East Freo)
5) Watson. ( East Freo)
6) durak Tucker (peel)
7) Fazioli (Peel)

At this stage you would not want to trade out of the top 10 picks. There is some incredible talent in that range. I thought Hill was unlucky not to make u18s AA as a bottom ager - he won't slide imo, he's been a star all through juniors.

Carter is good enough to be top 15. We do not want to move down the draft so our first pick is after a bid will come for him. The real advantage of academy or f/s picks imo is not the discount, it's your ability to get quality players from any picks earlier than a bid comes - so you only need to use later picks to make up the points. Like Richmond with Naish on Friday. Managed to pickup Higgins, CCJ and Balta before he even got bid on. Naish should have been "taken" ahead of CCJ and Balta. And then they picked up Miller @ #63 (after Kyron Hayden went @ #62) and therefore we missed out on both 2 picks later (wasn't happy at the time). Thought that was exceptional drafting from a premiership team - and the Naish f/s really helped them play the hand they did.
I agree with you but I think we’ll swap our 2019 2nd pick for 2018 multiple 3rd/4th rounds.

Keep 1st have Carter as 2nd round matched bid and then a couple of 4th rounders after the change from our 3rd rounder used on Carter with discount.

Something like 9, Carter, 59, 62 hopefully Nyhuis and Duman do enough to be upgraded as well.

Don’t laugh at me on this one.
I thought we would make a play at......I’m gonna say it ...........at Hogan next year.
I reckon like others have said his value may even out/ drop and he will be attainable.
See how this year plays out, he is an RFA in 2019 and Melbourne may want to cash in a year early if others look like overtaking him in the pecking order or if he looks like bailing out and coming home.
The forward line is the one that needs top end talent at end of next year and depending on the progress/development of Ape, Tabs, Kersten and McCarthy it may be an Achilles heal we will need to address immediately due to the window we will be in 2019/20/21
You would think that there is every chance that two out of Ape, Tabs, Kersten, and Cam won't be on our list by the end of 2019.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-11-24/draft-pick-75-scott-jones

Look at the way this guy moves for a big fella, can also mark the ball up front
My guess is that Apeness and Sandi may very well be on the delist/retire 2018 and they can determine whether Schnadica has developed. Meeks and Scott good insurance on two year contracts along with another look next year at what's around.
Considering only three players went after Jones, we didn't really miss out on anyone. And the club with the most reported interest in Jones was Essendon, so we probably thought they'd take him with their last pick. That back pocket or forward pocket can just be picked up in the rookie draft now instead.

In the end we've just replaced the two rucks we've lost with younger and probably better ones.

I see Darcy as our 1st ruck for the next 10 years. Both of these players can only play ruck, I don't see the value of having two players who will only ever be a backup on the main list plus Sandi.

If either of them were more versatile then it would be ok, but I can not see them playing with Darcy and the game is heading away from having dominate big men anyway.

This way we have 3 rucks who will all be the same age.

I don't believe you should have more than 3 rucks on your list, and ideally there age should be spread out.

Garlett at pick 78 would have been a great pick up.

If either of them were more versatile then it would be ok, but I can not see them playing with Darcy and the game is heading away from having dominate big men anyway.

This way we have 3 rucks who will all be the same age.

I don't believe you should have more than 3 rucks on your list, and ideally there age should be spread out.

Garlett at pick 78 would have been a great pick up.
We are rebuilding now. We don't take rucks now then we run the risk of having to play one who has only just been drafted and only been through one pre season when we are trying to contend. Since you can be certain that at least of 2 of Strads, Ape and the 2 new rucks will not be on the list 2020.
As for the game evolving away from big men I don't believe it and I think neither does our coach, match committe or recruiters.
Richmond ran an big risk and got lucky, they didn't invent an amazing new tactic.

Risk +lucky = flag , I take it .
Stupid risks are self selecting in hindsight. We all talk about successful gambles, ignoring the many many others that gambled and failed. This is why bookies make money now and dice players in ancient Rome could make living; they exploit a sizeable % of the populations inability to understand probability and / or see it as applying to themselves (I.E. magical thinking).

It's fine to take long shots when they represent the most realistic pathway to success (I.E. you have no choice, and you can't lose anymore than you would have otherwise): No-one held a gun to their head and made them go into the season with only one experienced ruckman and be only two injuries away from playing a 190 cm guy as second ruck. They were further lucky that apparently Jacobs had never encountered the revolutionary tactic of "shorter opponent not contesting the ruck and just jumping into him".

Also Richmond will go into this season with one* more ruckman on their list than last, so apparently they didn't read their own memo.

*Two if you include Ben Miller.

Stupid risks are self selecting in hindsight. We all talk about successful gambles, ignoring the many many others that gambled and failed. This is why bookies make money now and dice players in ancient Rome could make living; they exploit a sizeable % of the populations inability to understand probability and / or see it as applying to themselves (I.E. magical thinking).

It's fine to take long shots when they represent the most realistic pathway to success (I.E. you have no choice, and you can't lose anymore than you would have otherwise): No-one held a gun to their head and made them go into the season with only one experienced ruckman and be only two injuries away from playing a 190 cm guy as second ruck. They were further lucky that apparently Jacobs had never encountered the revolutionary tactic of "shorter opponent not contesting the ruck and just jumping into him".

Also Richmond will go into this season with one* more ruckman on their list than last, so apparently they didn't read their own memo.

*Two if you include Ben Miller.
One (CCj) is replacement for retirement (Ivan Maric) ,Ben miller ( Todd Elton 197cm forward - delisted) is no different from Dixon in term of height and pitch hit ruck.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One (CCj) is replacement for retirement (Ivan Maric) ,Ben miller ( Todd Elton 197cm forward - delisted) is no different from Dixon in term of height and pitch hit ruck.
Richmonds ruck
Nankervis
Hampson
Soldo
Coleman-Jones
Chol is on the rookie list.

I make that 5.

Richmonds ruck
Nankervis ( Sandi)
Hampson (Sean Darcy)
Soldo ( Stranadica)
Coleman-Jones (meek )
Chol is on the rookie list. (Apeness)

I make that 5.
I thought Chol is Apeness type,more forward than Ruck . Pitch hitting ruck ( Tab , Dixon,Cox).

Emergency ruck if only one ruck play during match and injured .if they are best 22
( MJ ,A.pearce)

Last edited:
Here's a question that has been probably been asked before, but here goes.

What is the pay rate for the new draftees ?.

Does the first rounders get a higher scale than second rounders ?.
I remember when Weitering was draft at No1 they said that if he plays the majority of the year he'll make about $180k.

The pay scales down quite rapidly though I think from the top 10 and onwards.

Tayl0r probably knows the exact amounts.

Here's a question that has been probably been asked before, but here goes.

What is the pay rate for the new draftees ?.

Does the first rounders get a higher scale than second rounders ?.

Yep, picks 1-20 get more: $95k base + $4k/game (seniors). There are small bonuses when they debut and then get to 6 games, and again at 11 games.

Picks 21-40 get slightly less: base of $85k. Game payments are the same.

Picks 41+ get a base of $80k and then the same game payments.

Rookies get a base of $75k and then the same game payments.

You can read all the gory details of the Enterprise Agreement at http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf

Future picks again. I don't see many more trade targets on the horizon for 2018 so we can just carry over the debt yet again but this time use it for draft currency (avoid using future 1st rounders and the impact/risk isn't that bad). I can't think of any players on our list that have currency that we'd be willing to part with - but I also thought that pre the Weller situation so who knows?

I think plenty are worried about us having no 2nd, 3rd or 4th atm but Carter would have used the 2nd up anyway. And clubs don't value 3rds and 4ths much so you can find a way to have a bunch of them. We seem to nail a lot of our 4th round selections so I'm fine with late picks. Don't think the turnover will be anything close to as high as the past two years. And I suspect our focus will be on quality (to fill specific gaps) over quantity regardless.
We can pick Carter without using a 2018 draft pick if we instead bid by owing points required to recruit him in the 2019 draft. Im not sure exactly how to explain it, but my understanding is that the draft picks in 2019 would be used so we would loose the points from the picks we are allocated in the 2019 draft. Considering the discount the team that has a academy player in matching a bid it would be more likely that we wouldn't have to use a 2019 first to match a bid for carter.

First of the interviews:

Welcome to the world of half-rate WA footy journalism Andrew. Seriously...those questions were objectively terrible. Most were just a variation of "You've said this before - will you say it again?" or "I read this about you - I would like to repeat what I read but with a question mark at the end".

Back