2017 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised someone like Hendo "walks" into your 22 to he honest. Will be watching keenly.
Yes it is interesting.

Without Hill and hartung not being everyones cup of tea (so to speak), Smith is our only player of genuine quality with line breaking speed.

This makes him crazy important and does open the door for a player like henderson who is borderline AFL standard, but can run.

If smith goes down we will be playing a very dour catch and kick/ create a stoppage game plan. If smith stays healthy and hendo or billy can take advantage of all the attention going smith direction then we are back in town.

I don't really see Miles competing with Billy. Considering he played perhaps more minutes then anyone throughout the JLT series, I get the feeling Clarko see's him as part of his back 7 mix. Regardless of what others have said he does have speed and its one of his better attributes. He will use this more with confidence and a sense of belonging. He is a very neat kick, albeit one sided. I would imagine he is being groomed as not a lock down small defender, but a run and carry from half-back type which we clearly have been lacking.

As for Billy, I would be shocked if he isn't given games early and is ahead of Henderson for the alternate wing to Smith. This is a bit of a transition year for the Hawks, the kids will be given every opportunity. Whilst remaining a potential top 6 side this year we really need to have one eye to next year...

He's honestly Duryea 2.0

I think the reason people see Henderson ahead of Hartung is because they want experience and assurance, despite Billy having only played half the amount of senior games Henderson has. They don't understand that this 'transition' year needs to consist of younger players getting game time.

I wonder if Gunston is more likely to be on the wing than Sicily.
I wonder if we can really use Gunston as a wing-man. I think we desperately need his height inside 50, plus his forward interplay with Cyril, Breust and Roughy is legendary.

Side note - Jaeger, Smith and Hartung have played all JLT series. I think we'll see that as our starting centre line up in Rd 1 - we just need that speed.

Last edited:
I'm surprised someone like Hendo "walks" into your 22 to he honest. Will be watching keenly.
How did you find his kicking to be? I wasn't able to watch the Port game. I'd be interested to here how a former supporter rates his kicking. When Collingwood picked up Young they thought they were getting a decent kick, but it was just long bombs to no one in particular. McEvoy was a similar case, with St Kilda supporters rightly telling us that he was no good in the ruck.

Based on JLT form I'd like to see us line up something like this....

Hendo Frawley Stratts
Birchall Gibbo Burgoyne
Smith Mitchell Hartung
Breust Gunstan Rioli
Vickery Roughie Puopolo

McEvoy, O'Meara, Sheils

I/C: Stewart, Sicily, Langford, Schoey

I'd love Whitecross and Brand to be in there by round 5 as well as our beloved former captain. I wouldn't put a line through Brand for round 1 just yet he only had a broken finger, they may possibly play him at Box Hill this week to get his minutes up

Based on JLT form I'd like to see us line up something like this....

Hendo Frawley Stratts
Birchall Gibbo Burgoyne
Smith Mitchell Hartung
Breust Gunstan Rioli
Vickery Roughie Puopolo

McEvoy, O'Meara, Sheils

I/C: Stewart, Sicily, Langford, Schoey

I'd love Whitecross and Brand to be in there by round 5 as well as our beloved former captain. I wouldn't put a line through Brand for round 1 just yet he only had a broken finger, they may possibly play him at Box Hill this week to get his minutes up

Good team its how i would liek them to line uo to , shoey just keeps his spot only because he can be that swingman in defence . Not sure if we can play whitecross and hodge in the same team we will seriously get done for pace on the inside and outside .

He's honestly Duryea 2.0

I think the reason people see Henderson ahead of Hartung is because they want experience and assurance, despite Billy having only played half the amount of senior games Henderson has. They don't understand that this 'transition' year needs to consist of younger players getting game time.

Maybe it's because he showed as much in one JLT game than Billy did in three :oops:

I just feel like we are a better team when Whitecross plays. He knows the game plan, he's composed, he's tough, he marks well, kicks well, plays anywhere.
Hes not a Champion by any means but he is solid, reliable and experienced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what has happen to dan howe ? was ready to breakout, can not see him injured ....
Suffered an injury prior to JLT 1, clubs taken precautionary route with him. Likewise O'Rourke who both played in match simulation before JLT 3

hey guys i come in peace. would you guys say that Miles is a good rookie option in fantasy? Likely to get many games?

Unlikely and would have little job security if he did. If he's selected on Thursday and you're short of options maybe take a punt but be cautious, lots of similar options that will be rotated through.

Thanks I meant from a fantasy perspective not rising star odds. But he seems to have done very well in the jlt series and the last couple games he played last year :)
He's certainly got the determination to succeed. I think he's worth a spot. He's a bit of a tackling machine, so that will lift his numbers.

How did you find his kicking to be? I wasn't able to watch the Port game. I'd be interested to here how a former supporter rates his kicking. When Collingwood picked up Young they thought they were getting a decent kick, but it was just long bombs to no one in particular. McEvoy was a similar case, with St Kilda supporters rightly telling us that he was no good in the ruck.

I didn't watch the game myself, just got back from Bali! Haha
But he was always a very good kick at the crows. Somewhat underrated too. You get a lot of players that are really good at nailing those 40-60m passes, but yet always seem to fluff the short 20-30m stuff. Henderson has always been great in both areas. He's also a damn good shot for goal on the run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back