List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to clarify, I think we do need another kpp.

But Sam Reid is a free agent who can choose where to go. Just don't think the match is there. Too much for us to pay for a fringe best 22 player, and there will be clubs with the same or more money with an easier path to playing time.

Assuming we keep all 6 we have on the main list atm (I don't count Brookers and that also assumes we re-sign May and Leslie), then suspect we will be looking hard in the draft for a key position player. A good year for it going by the draft rankings I have seen so far. If we don't keep Brookers, then a mature replacement for him also.

But I agree with a few other posters, a good 3rd tall defender would help a lot since they could pinch hit as a 2nd tall defender if required (or if we get desperate like we did against the Roos).

Who are the key defenders - I've been reading that it may be light on for key defenders other than Naughton and Brander

J Kolo is out of contract at year end so if he nominated us then we can get a deal done using a 2nd rd pick. If Gazza goes back to Cats even more reason to get something back.

Nakia - the Cats supporters absolutely love him and overrate him big time. Great athlete, can make the difficult things look sublime but is a terrible decision maker with the ball in hand. Not really someone we require.

Rocky - absolutely, if Gaz leaves would be a poor man's Ablett replacement

Sam Reid - you can't pay a guy $600k to be an injury prone back up, that is just crazy

Should be looking at an experienced AFL defender free agent who only needs to stick around a couple of years. Thinking Eric McKenzie could be an option. 3 years removed from being All-Australian

Saw Harry Himmelberg on Friday night - good with ball in hand but could be 2 years away from being 2 years away as a body-on-body defender - got brushed off with contempt by Tim Membrey in a marking contest
Yeah, agree with this.. certainly wasn't thinking Reid would be that expensive but someone will pay it..
Would love to get Emac, exactly what we need as a no frills but quite skillful lock down full back who has had success on all the great key fwds.. on the outer at West Coast due to Barass (next great up and coming key back and McGovern who imo is the best current key back, yes even better than Rance.) I would also like to see a chain involving Emac to Tmac, off to Dmac for running goal..

1 x JK please Marcus, or another similar third tall defender (don't know who else fits the bill?). I think the whole JK thing might turn out like the Swallow to North situation, but that won't stop me hoping it happens.

Besides that, I wouldn't be disappointed if we had a quieter trade period for a change unless some decent midfielders become available or we get guys nominating us who would improve the 22. Perhaps some tall/3rd tall forward depth unless we look for that in the draft.

Look at Marchbank for the Blues, he is dominating in that 3rd man role. He's number one in the comp for intercept marks. He's 21 and was a very small move in the trade period. If we can get that maybe with JK or someone else, it could help amazingly

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't want to keep harping on about the Ablett leaving thing but I wonder if the Suns could find a way to acquire Nakia Cockatoo in return. It might require one of the Suns' draft picks (second rounder?) along with Ablett but you have to think about the bigger picture in a situation like this. Gaz will be 33 later this month and Cockatoo isn't even 21 years old yet but has already shown he is going to be a superb player. Imagine the lightning quick run they would have with Saad, Harbrow, Sexton, Hall, Martin, Cockatoo, Ah Chee etc.

Mate , you are flogging a dead horse Cockatoo is not going anywhere... he and Parfitt just signed new contracts.

J Kolo is out of contract at year end so if he nominated us then we can get a deal done using a 2nd rd pick. If Gazza goes back to Cats even more reason to get something back.

Nakia - the Cats supporters absolutely love him and overrate him big time. Great athlete, can make the difficult things look sublime but is a terrible decision maker with the ball in hand. Not really someone we require.

Rocky - absolutely, if Gaz leaves would be a poor man's Ablett replacement

Sam Reid - you can't pay a guy $600k to be an injury prone back up, that is just crazy

Should be looking at an experienced AFL defender free agent who only needs to stick around a couple of years. Thinking Eric McKenzie could be an option. 3 years removed from being All-Australian

Saw Harry Himmelberg on Friday night - good with ball in hand but could be 2 years away from being 2 years away as a body-on-body defender - got brushed off with contempt by Tim Membrey in a marking contest

Thats all reasonably fair.. overrate..well thats a sin most supporter do..he is our earliest pick since Selwood so that probably contributes to supporter sentiment.

In respect of JK.. thats an outcome that will cause the masses to rumble as well.. some rate him more than Cockatoo. It will be intriguing to see how it plays out

Last edited:
Thats all reasonably fair.. overrate..well thats a sin most supporter do..he is our earliest pick since Selwood so that probably contributes to supporter sentiment.

In respect of JK.. thats an outcome that will cause the masses to rumble as well.. some rate him more than Cockatoo. It will be intriguing to see how it plays out
By the way Taylor and Lonergan played on the weekend, i reckon JK will have a big role for Geelong next year.

Dockers interested in Matera.

Will be interesting what we decide to do with him.

And also what he thinks is best for his future.

We did shop him around last year. I wonder if that will affect his decision?

Dockers interested in Matera.

Will be interesting what we decide to do with him.

And also what he thinks is best for his future.

We did shop him around last year. I wonder if that will affect his decision?
It might but does anyone think we would have (including Matera himself) if he was playing like he is now? Or that any other club would have done differently?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Local media guy here on the GC passed it on.

If he wants to go and party with Harley then he's probably not that focused on footy going forward.

Has played well in his contract year, but has been rubbish for the last 2 years. Win/Win for us if he is playing well - either he stays on a reasonable deal and shows he has matured and is of high character and wants to be part of GC or he wants to leave for the cash and the partying and we sell high to Freo and get a lot better return on our investment than we would have got when we shopped him around last year.

Also the fact that we have Ah Chee and Ainsworth to play the small forward role means he won't leave a gaping hole in the team structure should he decide to leave.

If he wants to go and party with Harley then he's probably not that focused on footy going forward.

Has played well in his contract year, but has been rubbish for the last 2 years. Win/Win for us if he is playing well - either he stays on a reasonable deal and shows he has matured and is of high character and wants to be part of GC or he wants to leave for the cash and the partying and we sell high to Freo and get a lot better return on our investment than we would have got when we shopped him around last year.

Also the fact that we have Ah Chee and Ainsworth to play the small forward role means he won't leave a gaping hole in the team structure should he decide to leave.
Wise and well thought out words as usual OB.. but i would hate to lose Matera!
He has always had a knack for finding the big sticks but now he has a tank we are seeing him stretch teams consistently and his field kicking, especially his inside 50's are sublime..
Hawthorn ruled for the last 5 or 6 years with their 3 very different types of small fwd in Breust, Poppy and Rioli.. I want Matera to be a priority signing.. lets give him a fat contract, surely we have some coin...
Everyone remembers Peter but Fish's uncle Phil was ridiculously good too... he seems to have the pace of his old man (Wally) but his skill, Goal sense and general nouse are more like his uncles, especially Phil..
There is a lot of guys who take a while to show there full pedigree.. Fish is this years Aaron Hall minus the kebabs..

I was sitting behind Ben Ainsworth on Saturday watching the neafl I'm not one for bothering the players but a few fans come up to him to say hi and ask how the injured was going, he said the injury happened at the last training session before the Hawks game. He got kicked in the calf by another player and was only meant to miss 2-3 weeks but developed a blood clot so that's slowed his recovery down
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-09/the-full-injury-list-round-eight
This injury update is much more promising...
If this is to be believed we could be close to full strength after the bye with everyone available to play in either the ones or the twos except for Day and Rischa (and Rischa would have to be very close for a neafl return)
Our first game after the bye could have a team sheet as follows;

Saad May KK
Harbrow Thomo Joyce
Sexton Barlow Rosa
Martin Lynch Matera
Ah Chee Wright Lyons
Witts Hall Ablett
Swallow Sexton Fiorini Bowes

With Hanley, Ainsworth, Mckenzie Rischa knocking on the door (after some Neafl exposure buiding up some game fitness)
Lemmens very unlucky
And Brodie, Scrim, Scheer and Mcpherson (and Willis, and Schoey) in particular just biding their time..
Lonergan, Hallahan and Shaw way down the list as experienced contributers..
And Day to come in next year...
Its going to be interesting to see what we prioritise as off season acqisitions, especially if Ablett plays out his contract..
We might be closer to a premiership next year than we dare to believe!

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-09/the-full-injury-list-round-eight
This injury update is much more promising...
If this is to be believed we could be close to full strength after the bye with everyone available to play in either the ones or the twos except for Day and Rischa (and Rischa would have to be very close for a neafl return)
Our first game after the bye could have a team sheet as follows;

Saad May KK
Harbrow Thomo Joyce
Sexton Barlow Rosa
Martin Lynch Matera
Ah Chee Wright Lyons
Witts Hall Ablett
Swallow Sexton Fiorini Bowes

With Hanley, Ainsworth, Mckenzie Rischa knocking on the door (after some Neafl exposure buiding up some game fitness)
Lemmens very unlucky
And Brodie, Scrim, Scheer and Mcpherson (and Willis, and Schoey) in particular just biding their time..
Lonergan, Hallahan and Shaw way down the list as experienced contributers..
And Day to come in next year...
Its going to be interesting to see what we prioritise as off season acqisitions, especially if Ablett plays out his contract..
We might be closer to a premiership next year than we dare to believe!

Imagine it was something as simple as acquiring Johanison from the Doggies and Gazza sticks around.

Wow

Just had a look for curiosity sake at where the Doggies were the year before their flag (2015)

Similar path to us. Still getting flogged by most of the great teams, springing a few upsets along the way hoewever. And dropping the odd game that they probably should have won

Check it out here!

Would love to see if Matchu can find many comparisons between us and the Doggies of 2015

Imagine it was something as simple as acquiring Johanison from the Doggies and Gazza sticks around.

Wow
Its great call, we are probably in the wrong thread (ill take reasposibility for that) but the question remains do we pay big dollars for a star or pay middling dollars and try and find 2 best 22 players who can provide more depth? I'm starting to believe that with the development we are starting to see and after last year's successful raid of rival clubs to bring in those 4 players, we need to believe the window is open and lets go all out and get the star... Im not sure JJ is who we should go for but lets not die wondering. This theory does rely on Gaz staying and continuing to star..

Its great call, we are probably in the wrong thread (ill take reasposibility for that) but the question remains do we pay big dollars for a star or pay middling dollars and try and find 2 best 22 players who can provide more depth? I'm starting to believe that with the development we are starting to see and after last year's successful raid of rival clubs to bring in those 4 players, we need to believe the window is open and lets go all out and get the star... Im not sure JJ is who we should go for but lets not die wondering. This theory does rely on Gaz staying and continuing to star..

I'm going to agree with the star to some point, but it has to be the right fit, both on field and off. For instance, if we were to go and get Dusty Martin, we are going to win more games, that is fact. But I don't want to be sacrificing the culture that Rocket and co has worked so hard to build.

We gained enough solid mature depth players in the last off season. If we can get ourselves another generation player now, we will be laughing

So Brandon Ah Chee is almost outscoring the entire club half way into the last quarter, any chance we could find a spot on our list to trade for him if he still wants to come here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back