List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems like this is a good draft for teams like us looking for mids. The top 3 midfielders seem pretty set in Raynor, LDU and Fogarty, and it would be awesome if one of them fell to us with teams wanting to move up for Brander/Hayes. But there appear to be a couple of bolters who look decent like Cerra, Constable and Coffield all of whom fit the bill as well. Add to that like last year there look to be a number of inside mids sitting in the late 1st/early 2nd round mix, albeit with some deficiencies compared to the top 3. If we managed to snag a Raynor/LDU/Fogarty/Cerra and one or 2 mids in the 2nd round then our new look midfield would just about be assembled. Then all that's left to do is the dreaded 'development'.
Seems like Worpel could fall to our second rounder as well. Inside midfielder, touted top 10 at the start of the year but seems to be sliding for no real reason

Seems like Worpel could fall to our second rounder as well. Inside midfielder, touted top 10 at the start of the year but seems to be sliding for no real reason
Hasn't done much this year Worpel. Kicking is a big issue and we need all the help we can get in that department. I would pass

No.. no do not do that.
It's just a thought bubble, don't take me too seriously. I put things out there and just see what people think.

I do wonder what GAJ/KK would draw out of Geelong.
KK misses many matches just due to his body letting him down

EG he had some stomach issue and was terrible and missed lots of games last year
And now we r looking at 4 games thereabouts for concussion

He may just have one of those bodies that is a bit cursed

It's just a thought bubble, don't take me too seriously. I put things out there and just see what people think.

EG he had some stomach issue and was terrible and missed lots of games last year

Hes a high pick for a reason. Geelong have nothing we would want or they would be willing to give up.

Hes a high pick for a reason. Geelong have nothing we would want or they would be willing to give up.

Yeah well that's true. I get the feeling from the Geelong fans that have contributed to the "GAJ will he stay or go" thread that Geelong feel the world should be given to them for nothing in return.
They seem to be extremely self-entitled.

So I'm inclined to agree with you actually when it comes to dealing with Geelong.

Yeah well that's true. I get the feeling from the Geelong fans that have contributed to the "GAJ will he stay or go" thread that Geelong feel the world should be given to them for nothing in return.
They seem to be extremely self-entitled.

So I'm inclined to agree with you actually when it comes to dealing with Geelong.

Well i agree in that respect. When it comes to ttrading and free agency you have to take the emotion out of it.

In the end we are a professional organisation... We have to look at similar trades as the benchmark in this situation.

MrB.... 12 months ago id say that type of deal may have had great interest. KK and GAjr would have got at least what we paid for 2e , more in fact. But 12 months on , we have recruited 2e and drafted Stewart from our VFL system and we are not really short of HBF types... but even 12 months ago I doubt you would have got the value you hope for. Few trades do. Of course it would have been up to KK what he wanted to do , he may well be very happy at GC. I think we could debate that Geelong want the world for nothing ..the supporters/posters do not represent the club or its dealings.. Geelong have reputation in deals of being reasonable.

Just a question , what type of player do you feel the GC list needs?

MrB.... 12 months ago id say that type of deal may have had great interest. KK and GAjr would have got at least what we paid for 2e , more in fact. But 12 months on , we have recruited 2e and drafted Stewart from our VFL system and we are not really short of HBF types... but even 12 months ago I doubt you would have got the value you hope for. Few trades do. Of course it would have been up to KK what he wanted to do , he may well be very happy at GC. I think we could debate that Geelong want the world for nothing ..the supporters/posters do not represent the club or its dealings.. Geelong have reputation in deals of being reasonable.

Turbo-I know my limitations in terms of list management and in terms what we need I would leave that to my more learned Suns colleagues to answer that one.

One thing that is often discussed in here however is our shortage of Tough Inside Midfielders.

Well we want jake!!

Probably more able bodied midfielders. I dunno nothing on your list screams out to me.. I like menegola, I think we could fine his type in the lower grades ourselves. I don't understand why we haven't done more of it. Horseley and iles were two that came to mind that could be useful for a year or 2

Turbo-I know my limitations in terms of list management and in terms what we need I would leave that to my more learned Suns colleagues to answer that one.

One thing that is often discussed in here however is our shortage of Tough Inside Midfielders.

Sometimes you have what you need on the list but they just are not ready yet. Id say the 2016 draft was very good for GC and with time at least a couple of players would perform that role well. I know Geelong liked Scheer. So id guess its a list management choice how much do you chase a PnP type or do you just fill and wait a bit. What have you thought of Lyons from the Crows. That type would make sense for a period till the likes Bowes and Brodie are really ready to carry more weight. Does not have the name buzz but getting good solid Pnp players , hopefully of good character would be reasonable while still going to the draft and just keep stacking the talent up.

Well we want jake!!

Probably more able bodied midfielders. I dunno nothing on your list screams out to me.. I like menegola, I think we could fine his type in the lower grades ourselves. I don't understand why we haven't done more of it. Horseley and iles were two that came to mind that could be useful for a year or 2

I agree there are plenty of over looked players out there.. developing players from late picks is very important but so is finding the unloved more mature player. Saad is a great example id have thought.

As I said in the other post , id not worry about looking for players that scream out to you. Your young kids will be the envy of others soon enough if you just keep adding to them. The balance of not bashing them up too early and giving them game time would be the focus id like to see if it was my club , rather than immediate game results

As to JK ... or any player... one has to convince the player. He is still OOC although its speculated he is not far from signing. The irony is JK could have easily been yours back in his draft year so id have said GC really didn't like him as a player that much.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would rate Lyons probably as highly as Geelong supporters would be rating Mitch Duncan, probably more so as we Lyons is not overshadowed to the same extent Duncan is by Dangerwood

Glad you mention Lyons turbocat. You'll find a heck of a lot of love for him on this board, got him for almost nothing, would currently be top 2-3 in our best and fairest. He's really turned into an upgrade on prestia, a prestia who can kick if you will...
We would rate Lyons probably as highly as Geelong supporters would be rating Mitch Duncan, probably more so as we Lyons is not overshadowed to the same extent Duncan is by Dangerwood

I think this type of player is very good value while the kids you draft build. I look back a few years and Geelong added players like McGrath , Sholl , Sanderson , Harley all as recycled players. Id see value in this this type of deal , relatively cheap , while you keep getting groups of drafted kids that can develop together. Yes you may end up with a couple of list clogger types but you may also find a couple of bargains but the main goal is they can hold the fort while you develop a really solid group of young talent. 3-4 this year and if you can somehow gain extra picks for next year you will be well on your way. Downside...it probably will do little for marque name recognition and to publicise the club if thats what you want from recruits.

He's really turned into an upgrade on prestia, a prestia who can kick if you will...
Some supporters from his new club seem to think Dions kicking issues are a result of a poor pre season, unfortunately they haven't yet realised it is an inherent trait. much as I still love Dion he can't kick, never could.

I think this type of player is very good value while the kids you draft build. I look back a few years and Geelong added players like McGrath , Sholl , Sanderson , Harley all as recycled players. Id see value in this this type of deal , relatively cheap , while you keep getting groups of drafted kids that can develop together. Yes you may end up with a couple of list clogger types but you may also find a couple of bargains but the main goal is they can hold the fort while you develop a really solid group of young talent. 3-4 this year and if you can somehow gain extra picks for next year you will be well on your way. Downside...it probably will do little for marque name recognition and to publicise the club if thats what you want from recruits.
Don't forget Tudor as part of that group the Cats grabbed from North turbo

Don't forget Tudor as part of that group the Cats grabbed from North turbo
He was part of 3 players that we got in one trade. Darren Steele , Liam Pickering and Leigh Tudor all for a meaningless pick. Not really sure why or how it was done. Pickering went on to win a B&F and post retirement is best known now as GA's agent.

Ken Hinkley was another one.

Im certainly not an advocate of bloating lists with them or trading good picks for journey men but balance is required. Just playing kids is not great , a gradual ramp up in game time seems to work best with most kids.

I just hate how they're referring to a big fish and then probably turn around at the end of trade period and say "we got our big fish, (insert b grade player name here)" just want some transparency with the public.
I'm sick of the fued between media and clubs fans miss out because clubs hold back while media spit out crap.

GcSunsfan suggested in another thread that Charlie Cameron has been looking at real estate on the Gold Coast. Gee up or something more to it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back