2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Given it didnt have clear air, its a little hard to tell now isnt it.
Ok then. We'll just run with the assumption that these other sports have consmed half the AFLW's audience, and once they go away we can expect double the audience it has currently.

It has been a long long summer of sport with the Ashes and everything in between. Then you had a week of bad press, poor showcase games last week, the winter games, AFLX and 2nd season syndrome, then people have a lot of options or things diverting attention.

You have good years and then you have bad years. Growth is never a straight line. AFLW has some issues it does need addressing but its "concept" is sound and it is here to stay.

Yeh, I flicked onto a W-League semi-final being played in Sydney, and across the whole outer wing, and either end of the ground, there was literally not a single soul there.
W league game today in brissy looks like a bigger crowd than the aflw game in brissy. Hard to tell when you cant see the other side of the grounds

Official crowd of 5300 for AFLW and there was no where near that for the womens soccer Official crowd 3870 in attendance at the same time.
Good to see so many out at both events supporting womens sports. Do they charge an entry fee for w league though?

Quick research suggests it is atleast $10 for an adult ticket so not bad in comparison really against free entry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It begs the question - is anybody else expecting ratings to turn the way they were last season once these other sports go away?

Without the winter olympics on? And a t20 international? And big bash finals? Its entirely likely they'll markedly improve, but probably not return to the heights of the opening round of the inaugural season.

As Peter Gordon observed, AFLW's biggest upcoming competition seems to be the AFL itself with the AFLX competition. Because that's now the new competition, I'm sure that will get a lot of interest next week but even once the novelty wears off, can't see it helping AFLW when it's effectively competing for the interest of footy fans.

AFLW got 47K yesterday. A League 31K.....

No sign of the W-League finals

View attachment 458924

As an aside, Foxtel really struggling in the summer months with a lack of top-shelf sport since they lost the BBL & Oz Open tennis in the past couple of years (and A-League falling away in recent seasons). Therefore even if AFLW doesn't rise above these levels again, it will still be valuable for Foxtel at this time of year.

As Peter Gordon observed, AFLW's biggest upcoming competition seems to be the AFL itself with the AFLX competition. Because that's now the new competition, I'm sure that will get a lot of interest next week but even once the novelty wears off, can't see it helping AFLW when it's effectively competing for the interest of footy fans.

Given the AFLX doesn't overlap with the AFLW at all, and replaces 27 hours of another JLT series round that did, I can't see how it detracts from the AFLW at all. The Saturday AFLX will sit neatly between the two Saturday AFLW matches and could, if anything, draw extra viewers to the AFLW.

Given the AFLX doesn't overlap with the AFLW at all, and replaces 27 hours of another JLT series round that did, I can't see how it detracts from the AFLW at all. The Saturday AFLX will sit neatly between the two Saturday AFLW matches and could, if anything, draw extra viewers to the AFLW.

It will overlap in taking of media spotlight and headlines in the leadup and afterwards. Even in a footy-mad town like Victoria and footy-dominant Herald Sun, that counts for a bit.

And there's only so much most footy fans can watch of footy - especially in February. There'll be a significant section of fans I reckon that may have watched AFLW this weekend that will decide that AFLX will be their footy viewing for the weekend.

It will overlap in taking of media spotlight and headlines in the leadup and afterwards. Even in a footy-mad town like Victoria and footy-dominant Herald Sun, that counts for a bit.

And there's only so much most footy fans can watch of footy - especially in February. There'll be a significant section of fans I reckon that may have watched AFLW this weekend that will decide that AFLX will be their footy viewing for the weekend.

I don't agree. The ratings for the AFLW were very modest this weekend. I'd say this audience is of the "will watch AFLW over international T20 and winter olympics" type that won't be any more inclined to flick it over to other options just because they have got their "fix" from the AFLX. On the other hand, the AFX on Saturday is guaranteed to pull in a bigger audience than the AFLW on both 7 mate and foxtel and could well result in many of those viewers watching the AFLW that night that otherwise may not have.

Again, the fact that the AFL has massively reduced the overlap between the AFLW and men's pre-season (including in the remaining 2 rounds of the JLT) is completely lost on the whingers.

Also, if the AFLX works it will provide another potential forum for elite and potentially commercially viable version for the best women to play (eg instead of the faux state of origin flop last year)

And there's only so much most footy fans can watch of footy - especially in February.[Disagree] There'll be a significant section of fans I reckon that may have watched AFLW this weekend that will decide that AFLX will be their footy viewing for the weekend.
I think there is a good demand for the AFLW anytime in late Spring/summer/March -the AFLW crowds are again excellent, for a new comp. After a good break from the AFL GF, many people want a footy fix, its great watching in balmy conditions, 28 degrees or lower. I have been to many games, there is a really good "vibe" (at least I hope it is not in my AFLW-inspired "fevered imagination"!).

Ratings have been soft, BBL finals, Inter.T20 etc., Winter Olympics competition too strong. Once the "personalities" of AFLW players become better known, & average skills improve/more goals, I suspect crowds & ratings will grow strongly.
Also, scheduling AFLW games to start early/mid afternoon hurts the AFLW crowds if it is over 28 degrees (too hot); &, as it's not Prime time for viewing (very few are watching TV then), ratings will be reduced.

I think there should always be an AFLW game scheduled to start about 5.30- 6 pm Sunday, this is blue-chip Prime time (ie maximum no. of TV viewers in the week). This would significantly improve AFLW ratings, especially if there are no big cricket games being played concurrently. Game is over about 8pm, which is not to late for kids to get home & be ready for school next day.

Last edited:

Viewed another way, to say the AFLW's only competition is the AFL itself is a positive statement. It would appear that the women have already seen off the A-League as a competitor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back