Game Day 2018 AFL Draft (6:30PM AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarke, Stoddart and Ling say hi...
The club's been pretty good in this range so we'll all have to wait and see, write up above sounds promising. New Hanners.
Struggling to see how we didn't pick up Kosi though.
If Grundy goes down our season is done?

If we are relying on a 1st year tall we are kidding ourselves. Add one mature aged one in the rookie draft.

Was out getting burnt to a crisp playing golf today, I was pleasantly surprised we’d gone for Rowbottom and Foot, two players in particular that I was hoping we’d go for.

Did Sydney Stack get picked at all?

Nope. Teams must have been very worried about his temperament to not even draft him as a rookie as he was rated as one of the better inside mids in the draft, and good quality inside mids don't grow on trees.

Nope. Teams must have been very worried about his temperament to not even draft him as a rookie as he was rated as one of the better inside mids in the draft, and good quality inside mids don't grow on trees.

That is bonkers. How temperamental can he be?! Surely there would be worse on AFL lists

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is bonkers. How temperamental can he be?! Surely there would be worse on AFL lists

Basically it is at a point now where if a player does not have a great AFL temperament and looks like he might cause trouble then that player better hope like hell he is of first round draft ability because he is likely not to get drafted otherwise. If a player is considered a problem and he is rated as the 25th best player in the draft there are no longer guarantees any club will take a risk on him. Times are very different to what they were a decade ago, with clubs far more mindful of their culture and keeping negative influences away from their teams culture.

To be fair most people would struggle to find any exciting highlights in the AFL for a medium sized defender. It is not an exciting position.

It’s not that, it’s more the standard of play

If I didn’t know I’d assume I was looking at a suburban thirds game

Basically it is at a point now where if a player does not have a great AFL temperament and looks like he might cause trouble then that player better hope like hell he is of first round draft ability because he is likely not to get drafted otherwise. If a player is considered a problem and he is rated as the 25th best player in the draft there are no longer guarantees any club will take a risk on him. Times are very different to what they were a decade ago, with clubs far more mindful of their culture and keeping negative influences away from their teams culture.
Demands for an AFL player these days are pretty high. No point in recruiting a kid if you don't think they'll put in the effort. No difference to any other job to be honest. I don't care how many qualifications you have if you don't work hard

To be fair most people would struggle to find any exciting highlights in the AFL for a medium sized defender. It is not an exciting position.

You don’t want them to be exciting. In fact you don’t even want to see him. If I’ve forgotten Nick Smith is playing then it generally means his opponent has done SFA and he’s done his role superbly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back