2018 Club Membership (2018 AFL Audit numbers now in OP]

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats dopey. They have access to their club's game at the MCG and if they tick the club support box of one of the 18 clubs, the AFL, out of the approx $500 membership fee for an adult, pays that AFL club the minimum amount the AFL sets for an 11 game club membership. So it meets all the access requirements.
Yes and I got this clarified by the club. Its about $165 ish per AFL membership if I recall it right ( I can search my posting to clarify this). However we only go in on our AFL ticket, and cant get into the ground as a tiger member or go into the finals ballot.

What do you mean by "base level" membership. If you are talking about 11 home game GA membership that my be the case. But I think there is a massive difference between club to club regarding reserved seating memberships. That should be considered because would have an impact on the average.

Is the detail ($s) available Grime ? If it was, I'd back our mod to have found it.

Yes and I got this clarified by the club. Its about $165 ish per AFL membership if I recall it right ( I can search my posting to clarify this). However we only go in on our AFL ticket, and cant get into the ground as a tiger member or go into the finals ballot.

Is that approach used by all clubs?
My view has always been that you paid the AFL Members Club not your footy club.

Pretty sure it's the standard AFL deal with clubs for AFL members.

Clubs get a fraction of the $$$ and get to paid their member numbers but really it's a separate thing for the AFL to make money off.

Last edited:
Yes you pay the afl, but the afl also recognised at the time this was set up (circa 1992), that the clubs directly were being bypassed. So to appease them, they passed on around $140 to the clubs, which was the going rate for a 11 game GA membership.

Yes you pay the afl, but the afl also recognised at the time this was set up (circa 1992), that the clubs directly were being bypassed. So to appease them, they passed on around $140 to the clubs, which was the going rate for a 11 game GA membership.

I think it was actually calculated as a % of the GA entry price for 11 games rather than membership cost, in line with what clubs pay each other for 'away' entry for members but given that membership would have been highly related to GA prices anyway, the distinction is probably just a technicality really.

Part of the deal to build the Great Southern Stand to be ready early 1992 for the WC Final which Pakistan won, was that the AFL got an AFL Reserve ie 23,000 of the best 40,000 seats on the outer wing and 5,000 standing capacity in the new stand and shiny new offices out the back of the stands. They couldn't sign that deal quickly enough and they signed over finals and the GF at the MCG for 40 years. Think the deal was rent of $1.5mil a year indexed for CPI for the 40 years plus match day receipts percentage.

So the AFL pushed ground rationalisation as a way to build up crowds and grow the game on the clubs, but stole the best seats from the clubs to sell to their members, so they couldn't maximize their revenue from the MCG. So the AFL had to introduce AFL membership with club support and paid the minimum amount they set for an 11 game membership to that club that the member ticked of that he/she supported. And the AFL used to publish in its annual AFL Record Season Guide book what the Adult 11 game club membership minimum was (plus concession and junior fees) and the clubs could set rates higher than that for GA memberships and different reserved seat categories.

But the AFL after years of publishing those figures in the AFL Record Season Guide book, last revealed those figures in the 2013 AFL Record Season Guide book. In 2013 it was $138 for the Adult 11 game membership. I would always look at for that figure as that was what the SANFL paid the clubs in SA each if you bought a Category 1 membership ie all 22 game membership and if you bought a Category 2 membership just for crows games then the crows got that amount from the SANFL and if you bought a Category 3 membership just for Port games then Port got that amount from the SANFL. So there was always a double counting of those Category 1 memberships in Port and the crows membership figures once port entered the comp.

I have no idea why the AFL stopped revealing that basic information of how much of the AFL membership fee they passed on to the clubs for an adult, concession or junior member with club support. I don't think it is that important that its commercial in confidence info.

Part of the deal to build the Great Southern Stand to be ready early 1992 for the WC Final which Pakistan won, was that the AFL got an AFL Reserve ie 23,000 of the best 40,000 seats on the outer wing and 5,000 standing capacity in the new stand and shiny new offices out the back of the stands. They couldn't sign that deal quickly enough and they signed over finals and the GF at the MCG for 40 years. Think the deal was rent of $1.5mil a year indexed for CPI for the 40 years plus match day receipts percentage.

So the AFL pushed ground rationalisation as a way to build up crowds and grow the game on the clubs, but stole the best seats from the clubs to sell to their members, so they couldn't maximize their revenue from the MCG. So the AFL had to introduce AFL membership with club support and paid the minimum amount they set for an 11 game membership to that club that the member ticked of that he/she supported. And the AFL used to publish in its annual AFL Record Season Guide book what the Adult 11 game club membership minimum was (plus concession and junior fees) and the clubs could set rates higher than that for GA memberships and different reserved seat categories.

But the AFL after years of publishing those figures in the AFL Record Season Guide book, last revealed those figures in the 2013 AFL Record Season Guide book. In 2013 it was $138 for the Adult 11 game membership. I would always look at for that figure as that was what the SANFL paid the clubs in SA each if you bought a Category 1 membership ie all 22 game membership and if you bought a Category 2 membership just for crows games then the crows got that amount from the SANFL and if you bought a Category 3 membership just for Port games then Port got that amount from the SANFL. So there was always a double counting of those Category 1 memberships in Port and the crows membership figures once port entered the comp.

I have no idea why the AFL stopped revealing that basic information of how much of the AFL membership fee they passed on to the clubs for an adult, concession or junior member with club support. I don't think it is that important that its commercial in confidence info.

2 points.

Firstly, VFL members started with VFL park/Waverley...The MCG deal was a bonus for the league as they got to move/keep that (on top of the other stuff you mentioned). Back when it first came in it was a much more reasonable deal...Clubs played there in roughly the same frequency, so it 'hit' them all at about the same rate so it was really just a small, moderately evenly spread, tax. All that changed when they moved to the MCG though.

Also, without checking the dates, the AFL stopping publishing that info seems to my mind to have happened around about the same time some MCG based Vic clubs (notably some bloke called Mcguire at Collingwood) started agitating about how the league was screwing them with AFL members.

2 points.

Firstly, VFL members started with VFL park/Waverley...The MCG deal was a bonus for the league as they got to move/keep that (on top of the other stuff you mentioned). Back when it first came in it was a much more reasonable deal...Clubs played there in roughly the same frequency, so it 'hit' them all at about the same rate so it was really just a small, moderately evenly spread, tax. All that changed when they moved to the MCG though..

I guess I didn't make my point very strongly in relation to how much different the set up at VFL Park vs MCG was. I knew there were VFL members but it wasn't as popular as AFL members at the MCG. First at MCG one wing section is taken by MCC and the other wing seats by the AFL whereas VFL Park was only the Sir Kenneth Luke Stand which took up one wing and the clubs could sell higher than GA priced seats on the other wing and yes I know there was no grandstand roof to cover people on the outer wing. Second as you said, VFL Park members only got a small number of games per team, 1, 2 or 3 home games a year and an even spread for most of its use until Hawks made it its home ground so clubs only missed out marginally. Plus the crowds weren't huge. 400+ of the 662 home and away games had crowds of 30k or less and the stadium could take 90k and high 70's when it was improved.

I think it was actually calculated as a % of the GA entry price for 11 games rather than membership cost, in line with what clubs pay each other for 'away' entry for members but given that membership would have been highly related to GA prices anyway, the distinction is probably just a technicality really.
Yeah not sure how it was actually calculated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess I didn't make my point very strongly in relation to how much different the set up at VFL Park vs MCG was. I knew there were VFL members but it wasn't as popular as AFL members at the MCG. First at MCG one wing section is taken by MCC and the other wing seats by the AFL whereas VFL Park was only the Sir Kenneth Luke Stand which took up one wing and the clubs could sell higher than GA priced seats on the other wing and yes I know there was no grandstand roof to cover people on the outer wing. Second as you said, VFL Park members only got a small number of games per team, 1, 2 or 3 home games a year and an even spread for most of its use until Hawks made it its home ground so clubs only missed out marginally. Plus the crowds weren't huge. 400+ of the 662 home and away games had crowds of 30k or less and the stadium could take 90k and high 70's when it was improved.
Yes. I have been a VFL/AFL members for 35 years. The VFL park memberships was only for that ground but growing up in Frankston it was a lot closer that going into the city. Having mates and friends who barracked for a wide range of teams helped as we would go to a lot of games. Being a member was easy as you could just go in via the members but then go into the outer. We had access to finals and the GF like the MCC ie just walk up rights and sat under the old clock where the old richmond rooms were. When the new stand was agreed to, we had 2 choices, competition package or club support package. They sold the latter to us by saying the value of the basic season ticket was what the clubs got back, which is why I took it up. It is also much more popular than Waverley purely because more clubs play in town ie more games that what they did at VFL park. They also had the former as another type of membership which was similar to the original VFL park membership, which would increase numbers.

Club Membership Tally
Tigers 70,214
Hawks 60,100
Pies est 55,000 (50k roll over)
Dons 52,167
Port 51,114
Cats 46,018
Blues 36,086
Doggies 31,042
Saints 29,509
Swans 29,336
Dees 29,053
North 27,353
Lions 13,926
Giants 13,555
Suns 7.023
Freo TBC
Eagles TBC
Crows TBC

Last edited:
Club Membership Tally
Crows 72,096
Tigers 70,214
Hawks 60,100
Dons 52,167
Port 51,114
Cats 46,018
Blues 36,086
Doggies 31,042
Saints 29,509
Swans 29,336
Dees 29,053
North 27,353
Lions 13,926
Giants 13,555
Suns 7.023
Freo TBC
Eagles TBC
Lol at the Crows figure. No wonder whenever the official audit is done they always get massively downgraded. Why do they even bother quoting these fake figures?

- where is telsor ?

I don't tend to visit the membership thread that often because all too often it's usually just a pissing contest.

If you want my input on something, it's probably best to tag me.

Club Membership Tally
Tigers 70,214
Hawks 60,100
Dons 52,167
Port 51,114
Cats 46,018
Blues 36,086
Doggies 31,042
Saints 29,509
Swans 29,336
Dees 29,053