NFL 2018 NFL - Week 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about the Vikes but Packers have a pretty easy schedule. Bears probably will win div but its no certainty.

Vikings still have @ New England and @ Seattle. I don't trust us to run the board on the rest. Bears have the North, just a matter of whether Minnesota can snag a wildcard.

I'd love to see footage of Van Btocklins 550 passing yards set in 1951, that still stands today. In those days you could mug receivers up and down the field, take them out in the act of a catch, and tear the qbs head off.

Yet, in this modern era, and even this newer softer era this year, the flag football flagship rams-chiefs game they still couldn't approach it.

I'd love to see footage of Van Btocklins 550 passing yards set in 1951, that still stands today. In those days you could mug receivers up and down the field, take them out in the act of a catch, and tear the qbs head off.

Yet, in this modern era, and even this newer softer era this year, the flag football flagship rams-chiefs game they still couldn't approach it.
The statline of NVBs three opposing QBs that day : 10 of 35 for 63 yards 0 TDs 0 Ints.

More about that game : https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/...ins-passing-record-stands-60-years-later.html

I think people are slightly under rating the defense that superb game had.
Not many games where there are four fumbles and three interception takeaways across the game (7 turnovers total in the game, many games don't have 3 turnovers).

Yes it wasn't smash-mouth no score classic defense, and yes the Os for both teams clearly had the advantage, but there was still some pretty decent D played, given the overwhelming firepower both teams turned out on O, and the injuries each has on D.

Rodgers will need to go God mode like 2016, but even harder because the team isnt as good and the division is tougher
Rodgers knows that making playoffs will save McCarthy's job.

I think people are slightly under rating the defense that superb game had..
Defense without controlling field position & TOP is like sex with no climax.

I get what you were saying in there was some great defensive plays, but it amounted to naught from a defensive perspective.

Even then I'd argue some of the most significant defensive plays in the game weren't a result of great D but rather poor QB play.

Damn, lets hope that doesn't end it for him.
Worse than Theismann's injury. My money is on Smith not ever playing again.

Only good aspect is he has $71m injury guarantee in that big contract he signed before the season, so even if he never plays again, at least he will have plenty of financial security.

Defense without controlling field position & TOP is like sex with no climax..

No, its sex with multiple climaxes, of varying intensities, but only some of us know what that is like...

I get what you were saying in there was some great defensive plays, but it amounted to naught from a defensive perspective.

Sorry, but I can't agree with that. Having the prospective MVP (who has barely set a foot wrong all year) throw three ints, and forcing him to also fumble twice, is clear results for the D. And it clearly directly created multiple scoring chances for the O, and ultimately was the reason the Rams won the game. The problem wasn't a lack of great D - but rather the inherent inability of teams playing legal D (check out how few penalties the game had) to stop an offense scoring under modern NFL rules. Takeaways wise, this was a great D game.

Even then I'd argue some of the most significant defensive plays in the game weren't a result of great D but rather poor QB play.
I'd argue that the poor QB plays only happened because of great D pressure.
Potato Potato...

Blacked out game all day, just finished watching. What a great way to end a shitty day at work. That was was a great game, a classic. Two terrific young QBs, who yes did make some mistakes but who cares, most QBs do.

Is it even possible to have a game where two great defences dominate these days?

Rodgers will need to go God mode like 2016, but even harder because the team isnt as good and the division is tougher

Yeah for sure. And aussiedude is correct about the McCarthy thing. Need to miss playoffs.

My main point was that the Bears aren't on the level of those other teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, but I can't agree with that. Having the prospective MVP (who has barely set a foot wrong all year) throw three ints, and forcing him to also fumble twice, is clear results for the D. And it clearly directly created multiple scoring chances for the O, and ultimately was the reason the Rams won the game. The problem wasn't a lack of great D - but rather the inherent inability of teams playing legal D (check out how few penalties the game had) to stop an offense scoring under modern NFL rules. Takeaways wise, this was a great D game.

I'd argue that the poor QB plays only happened because of great D pressure.
Potato Potato...
One of the most important skills veteran QB's have that young gun-slingers don't is the ability to read a D at the line.

I guess we can argue chicken-and-egg on whether that's poor QB play or great D when they fail to do it. To me it's usually poor QB play.

I've seen enough of the Rams to know individual brilliance doesn't mean great D. Donald is a fantastic player but nullify him and and they get picked apart easily. Personally if I was the OC against them, I'd tell any player single teamed against him to tackle him if he beats you off the line. Don't let those plays result in sacks/turnovers and make hay when he doesn't beat you. Their D is that brittle.

As for the officiating, the Rams are the NFL's latest pet project. It shows in the calls they get.

Agree with BpG in that the defensive plays were massive, not poor QB play at all. Also added difficulty seeing as those plays were made against two of the best offenses in the NFL. Not easy to do such feats given what Mahomes and Goff have been doing all season.

However, I dunno about this game being an all-time great regular season game. Ok, you could put it in there for the anomaly of being one of the highest scoring games ever between two of the best offenses, having multiple big defensive plays, and many lead changes.....but, it was just like last season's Super Bowl. Which I didn't find that compelling of a game due to the ease of the offense on both sides.

This game was fun, but it wasn't compelling. There was no struggle, adversity, due to a tough D, with that one or two huge play to turn the game on its heels. A game where there's defensive adversity/struggle and THEN there coming inside that huge offensive plays....that's special.

Just watching the replay on ESPN.

The Rams, with the ball 10 pts up early in the 4th Qtr, are prepared to go conservative and are prepared to play for field position. Great punt has the Chiefs backed up.

Couple of plays later Mahomes hits a wide open Hill on the longest TD pass of his career.

That's Saints style D at our worse. The whole game was like that.

Sure some great individual plays but . . . great defense. I guess if you like Arena football :)

Just watching the replay on ESPN.

The Rams, with the ball 10 pts up early in the 4th Qtr, are prepared to go conservative and are prepared to play for field position. Great punt has the Chiefs backed up.

Couple of plays later Mahomes hits a wide open Hill on the longest TD pass of his career.

That's Saints style D at our worse. The whole game was like that.

Sure some great individual plays but . . . great defense. I guess if you like Arena football :)
The D's were atrocious for most of the game. Or, the offenses are so high-powered (in this newer softer era where defenses can't do anything), that it would take a lot to slow the scoring/yardage of teams like the Saints, Rams, Chiefs. Whereas if these same teams played say 5 years ago, the score probably would've been 37-34 instead. Or played 15 years ago, 27-24.

But....those big defensive plays that did happen, in a vacuum, as singular plays, were great defensive efforts, not poor offensive play.

The D's were atrocious for most of the game. Or, the offenses are so high-powered (in this newer softer era where defenses can't do anything), that it would take a lot to slow the scoring/yardage of teams like the Saints, Rams, Chiefs. Whereas if these same teams played say 5 years ago, the score probably would've been 37-34 instead. Or played 15 years ago, 27-24.

They were both atrocious at key moments.

You can blame the current rules all you like but most of the big plays weren't a receiver beating a DB one-on-one. They were receivers wide-open. As wide open as a $2 whore.

That's why I don't reckon it was a great game at all. Sure some great plays but where were the great one-on-one battles?

But....those big defensive plays that did happen, in a vacuum, as singular plays, were great defensive efforts, not poor offensive play.
You have a lower bar for QB fuchery than me. :)

They were both atrocious at key moments.

You can blame the current rules all you like but most of the big plays weren't a receiver beating a DB one-on-one. They were receivers wide-open. As wide open as a $2 whore.

That's why I don't reckon it was a great game at all. Sure some great plays but where were the great one-on-one battles?

You have a lower bar for QB fuchery than me. :)

Firstly, I agreed it wasn't a great game. Everyone jerking off (in the media) about it, I'm scratching my head.

And you are completely right there were no great 1-on-1 battles thruout the game. Wide open receivers, soft zones, both QBs with almost all the time in the world to throw, because both DC's i guess decided to try to push people back into zones, try to bend not break, and rely on natural pressure. It was a game of prevent D in a way vs prevent D.

But those few big defensive plays....just to focus on that....you were saying were more due to poor QB play than good defensive play. And I disagree with that comment. Again, these new rules of the game make it so hard, both these teams are all-time great O's along with the Saints....so add those two together and you get the game we got. And where WHEN A BIG DEFENSIVE PLAY OCCURS, it really is a great effort given the rules and high-powered offenses. It's easy to put a lot of defensive pressure, get a lot of turnovers and TFLs/etc, when you have a competent D going against an incompetent O.

Anyway...specifically....

Ebukams FF TD....great pressure by Donald, got the strip-sack, nothing bad QB play about that, not like Mahomes held onto it forever.
Ebukams INT Td...what he did was as great as what Mack did vs the Panthers a year or two ago. Read the play, had the presence of mind to get a hand on the ball, it ricocheted but he showed excellent reflexes/athleticism to snare it and then rumbled 20 yards for the TD, that extra push at the end to get over the line.
A lot of the sacks, strip-sacks on Goff, again he didnt hold on too long, but excellent push came from the Chief's (either inside or outside) causing him to have less than 3 secs in the pocket.
The INT by Mahomes, great pressure by Ebukam to get a hand on the shoulder and cause the floater. Tho, I do grant that Mahomes was throwing to the wrong read there, into triple coverage, when instead he had a 1-on-1 over the middle he shouldve seen.
The last INT by Mahomes....yeah...meh....it was a poor desperation throw.

Worse than Theismann's injury. My money is on Smith not ever playing again.

Only good aspect is he has $71m injury guarantee in that big contract he signed before the season, so even if he never plays again, at least he will have plenty of financial security.
plenty of financial security? He's been in the NFL for near 15 years FFS!

Agree with BpG in that the defensive plays were massive, not poor QB play at all. Also added difficulty seeing as those plays were made against two of the best offenses in the NFL. Not easy to do such feats given what Mahomes and Goff have been doing all season.

However, I dunno about this game being an all-time great regular season game. Ok, you could put it in there for the anomaly of being one of the highest scoring games ever between two of the best offenses, having multiple big defensive plays, and many lead changes.....but, it was just like last season's Super Bowl. Which I didn't find that compelling of a game due to the ease of the offense on both sides.

This game was fun, but it wasn't compelling. There was no struggle, adversity, due to a tough D, with that one or two huge play to turn the game on its heels. A game where there's defensive adversity/struggle and THEN there coming inside that huge offensive plays....that's special.
A truer post has not been made in this thread (outside of my posts that is)

I don't watch football and sports in general to see obvious s**t happen. Yes, I KNOW that an NFL quarterback can hit a wide open throw 40 yds down the field... if they couldn't it would be rather embarrassing, and it doesn't excite me when they do it.

What turns my dick hard is watching teams actually in an arm wrestle with each other, adversity to overcome, lots of 3rd downs just to fight into field goal range, etc. etc.

Watch SB 49 as an almost perfect example. The adversity the Pats had to go thru and then they finally broke thru in the 4th quarter and won the game. Injuries to the Seattle D is a different story altogether but you get the point.

Like you said, last seasons SB had some big moments, but ultimately it was 2 weak defenses (outside of the Eagles front 4), so not exactly the best game to watch

GG.exe and JeffDunne you are both absolutely right.

What GG is saying about the great plays from Donald for example, and the Chiefs to create that sack/fumble/TD. Those are great plays

But what Jeff is saying about WIDE open receivers 30 yds downfield, that puts you to sleep. Honestly boring as all get out. I could literally run the route and get a completion with ease the way these nuffies are tripping over their own feet etc.

ALSO credit goes to Reid/McVay for great play design, it all adds up, but a good D will nullify that to a great extent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back