Game Day 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the wash up I think we still have all our 2020 picks plus Crows 4th rounder or still have our first three plus Crows 4th rounder. Anyway, we are good to go in 2020. Just found this on the BF Drafting board, based on this years ladder we have 4, 23, 51, 63
Some teams like Norf are heavily loaded for 2020, others like Saints and GWS are light on.
That is an excellent point of reference.

Assuming ladder positions stayed the same again next year (i know they won't), we would have a live pick at 4 and then need to pay for Cameron & Gulden with picks 23, 51 & 63. That wouldn't be enough, so we will obviously need to gain some mid draft picks next year. I expect both the academy boys to be drafted between late first round to early second round.
Someone please explain how the current 17s or NDS guys don't see the bleeding obvious?
Next year is done for them already, they are the supporting cast, no draft there either.

Assuming ladder positions stayed the same again next year (i know they won't), we would have a live pick at 4 and then need to pay for Cameron & Gulden with picks 23, 51 & 63. That wouldn't be enough, so we will obviously need to gain some mid draft picks next year. I expect both the academy boys to be drafted between late first round to early second round.
Reckon we'll try and trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks for more points later in the draft. Im dreaming that if Paps goes, we'll upgrade our first pick tp a very high pick and draft a gun + Gulden and Campbell.
We'll have to wait and see who gets traded out (if anyone), but theres a few players fighting for certain positions. Long way to go yet so everything is very hypothetical.

Being old enough to watch John Rantall play was hoping we'd select Jay Rantall, but lots to :heart: about our new Bloods.
from Chris Doerre
Grade: A

Sydney
Sydney strayed away from the script by selecting Dylan Stephens at 5 but found a suitable list fit in the hard-running midfielder who is accustomed to playing against bigger bodies and should earn senior games in season 2020. The Swans patiently traded their picks up to improve their draft hand and in the second round moved up slightly to secure Will Gould and Chad Warner. While Elijah Taylor was their other second round selection. Gould is one of the draft bargains as one of this year's most ready to play, best and most penetrating kicks and most imposing physical presence with the way he bumps and tackles to hurt. Warner will help Sydney's midfield as an aggressive ball winning midfielder who wins a high proportion of ball in contested situations. Taylor as a forward is one of this year's most talented forwards with how quick and clean he is and how it feels like he will make something happen every time he gets his hands on the ball.

Last edited:
You really have to feel for the players who miss out, especially those who were almost certain to get drafted, like Chirgwin. They've spent the last several years hoping for this moment, working hard and have probably made alterations to studies and careers under this expectation.

He got drafted in the end Mitch O’Neill (all Australian from memory), I can’t imagine how stressful the last few days must’ve been for him. He got taken in what was effectively the last live rookie pick. He must’ve come into this year thinking he’s a first rounder.

Someone please explain how the current 17s or NDS guys don't see the bleeding obvious?
Next year is done for them already, they are the supporting cast, no draft there either.
Unless boys want to get into NDS purely to experience an extra year within the Swans infrastructure and experience a bit more NEAFL football then it really is a waste of time as an effective pathway onto an AFL list.

If a boy was still serious about trying to get into the AFL I’d be telling them to try their luck in Melbourne or Adelaide instead.

Unless boys want to get into NDS purely to experience an extra year within the Swans infrastructure and experience a bit more NEAFL football then it really is a waste of time as an effective pathway onto an AFL list.

If a boy was still serious about trying to get into the AFL I’d be telling them to try their luck in Melbourne or Adelaide instead.

That is very disturbing. The Academy is designed to give better coaching and development to NSW kids yet consistently there are only the few elite who achieve success over extended period. Requires a serious examination

Can someone explain how we can have 3 top ten picks from Academy yet get none in the 10-60 range? That seems very odd to me. Entrenched unintentional bias and misplaced perception of quality??? Wicks didn’t get a look in to Allies selection yet has fought hard to be with the Swans. Does that tell us something? Is it simply that Academy picks are seen as inherently risky? I don’t understand but something doesn’t add up.

Last edited:
Being old enough to watch John Rantall play was hoping we'd select Jay Rantall, but lots to about our new Bloods.
from Chris Doerre

Sydney
Sydney strayed away from the script by selecting Dylan Stephens at 5 but found a suitable list fit in the hard-running midfielder who is accustomed to playing against bigger bodies and should earn senior games in season 2020. The Swans patiently traded their picks up to improve their draft hand and in the second round moved up slightly to secure Will Gould and Chad Warner. While Elijah Taylor was their other second round selection. Gould is one of the draft bargains as one of this year's most ready to play, best and most penetrating kicks and most imposing physical presence with the way he bumps and tackles to hurt. Warner will help Sydney's midfield as an aggressive ball winning midfielder who wins a high proportion of ball in contested situations. Taylor as a forward is one of this year's most talented forwards with how quick and clean he is and how it feels like he will make something happen every time he gets his hands on the ball.
'Weak draft with low depth' and 7 clubs get an A.

Being old enough to watch John Rantall play was hoping we'd select Jay Rantall, but lots to :heart: about our new Bloods.
from Chris Doerre

Sydney
Like you, I also clearly remember "mopsy" Rantall controlling the backline until he finally chased a premiership with North Melbourne.
When we did the deal with Brisbane last night and moved down to the next pick at 38, I was sure that we were about to select Jay Rantall. I'm still disappointed that this didn't happen. It would have been great to have had mopsy junior running around the SCG.
Let's hope that we don't live to regret this decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grassy is a ruck. And a developing one at that.
His size made him a force in the SANFL, but his skill lacks.
SANFL is still way ahead of NEAFL though.

Crowds average over 2000 per game plus a 35000 plus GF crowd.

Pretty sure that the recruiters would be more active at that level too.

Crowds don't really effect the level of the comp.
Looking at some of the spuds Dylan was running around in the SANFL this year I'm calling their superiority a historical fact, not a current one.
I think NEAFL haters mostly just remember when it was us, and a few Canberra teams. It's stepped up quite a bit in the last few years.

I would love it if one day the neafl was considered on par with sanfl, but there is probably a way to go yet.
Not if my 20 mins of research into SANFL this week is anything to go by. :p We have passed them now.

Last edited:
Reckon we'll try and trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks for more points later in the draft. Im dreaming that if Paps goes, we'll upgrade our first pick tp a very high pick and draft a gun + Gulden and Campbell.
We'll have to wait and see who gets traded out (if anyone), but theres a few players fighting for certain positions. Long way to go yet so everything is very hypothetical.
Given the ht of the academy boys they might not go nearly as early as the media let on

No.
I am unsure how he will double his possessions against men when he only gets it less then 12 time a game vs boys!
A pure "athletic potential' longshot pick. Unlikely to work out, as I'm sure the Swans know, but I guess if you don't buy a ticket in the lottery, you won't win it.
I'd rather they'd moved up and gotten Biggie Nyuon if picking someone on pure athletic traits he is the clear stand-out in this regard, and not a type they can find in the academy.

SANFL teams keep beating Crows and Port reserves so that indicates a much higher standard than NEAFL. Stephens and Gould have been impressive at senior SANFL level, step up to AFL won't phase them, high quality players.
Sydney Uni and Southport beat a few AFL reserve teams too. Probably others. The NEAFL is 💪

I'd certainly not be neglecting the studies for footy if I were them.

That is very disturbing. The Academy is designed to give better coaching and development to NSW kids yet consistently there are only the few elite who achieve success over extended period. Requires a serious examination

Can someone explain how we can have 3 top ten picks from Academy yet get none in the 10-60 range? That seems very odd to me. Entrenched unintentional bias and misplaced perception of quality??? Wicks didn’t get a look in to Allies selection yet has fought hard to be with the Swans. Does that tell us something? Is it simply that Academy picks are seen as inherently risky? I don’t understand but something doesn’t add up.
I really want to address this in more detail but I’m flat out at work right now. I’ll probably put something in the Academy thread but for now I’ll just say the following. There’s a lot more to it but the Academy is primarily about finding the one or two elite boys (the Heeney/Blakey type) while everyone else becomes a bit player. In addition, team tactics and structures are all about winning games, not showcasing multiple players individual talents. You may say that that’s a reasonable strategy and recruiters are more likely to look at players from good teams but that simply hasn’t been the case with us. We’ve been winning the vast majority of our games for several seasons with little success in the draft.

Other Academies are better at showcasing multiple players and I’ve spoken to parents from other Academies who have said that their coaches have specifically stated that is their intention.

That’s partly why we see top 10 players coming out of the Swans Academy but comparatively few lower level picks. There’s a lot more to it than that and hopefully I can add more later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back