Royals

All Australian
Jan 7, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
I was worried when Pendlebury was named for for first time in 4 years it was a conspiracy to give him the Captaincy..
when Hurn was named VC .. I was getting ready for a massive Rant ... then they named Fyfe, I was just stunned
FISH PISS

Feeling Groovy

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
The bigger issue for me is Hurn not being named captain last year to Buddy. That was absolutely ridiculous. This year, at least Fyfe is a captain. That said, given the chaos at his club, the issues that players reportedly have had with him, players wanting out of the club and team performance over years, you would think Hurn, Pendlebury and maybe even Cripps would have been better choices.

Since injury, Hurn's form has been down so he is a bit lucky to have made the team (over Shep potentially), but given he has, as the Premiership captain and missing out last year when he obviously should have been captain, one would have thought... But ultimately, it is good recognition to have 4 players in and as for Gov, teams change their whole game plan to circumvent him, so whilst he has been down on form maybe, his impact is massive.

HoneyBadger35

Friends, Family, Flex
Aug 11, 2011
Gaffy's Dojo
AFL Club
West Coast
"It's nice to have some recognition and salvage something from a pretty difficult season at a team level"
Oh Captain, my captain.

“Well we had a dog of a year, again, making no discernible progress in our game style or player development. Our reigning B+F is about to win a Brownlow in another state and the previous B+F put his trade request in yesterday. We have no coach and no CEO, but at least I got this blazer.”

How could anyone resist getting a membership to that?

flyinghi64

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Yep, Gill did a Gill call.
I reckon they Had Fyfe as VC and Gill's gone, mmmmmm Hurn not here, can't have the Captain missing. Then just did a flip.

Wild Kelly

Team Captain
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure if this has been posted before but, according to Crumpetface, the selectors voted 5 to 4 in favour of Bunga as captain but were overruled by someone "up the line" from AFL House. If true, I wonder who that might have been?

Coasters7

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Not sure if this has been posted before but, according to Crumpetface, the selectors voted 5 to 4 in favour of Bunga as captain but were overruled by someone "up the line" from AFL House. If true, I wonder who that might have been?
If that’s true you wonder just how much else is “overruled by someone up the line”. MRO anyone?

Completely defeats the purpose of having a selection panel if higher ups can just pick and choose whats suitable.

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
Jul 5, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
If that’s true you wonder just how much else is “overruled by someone up the line”. MRO anyone?

Completely defeats the purpose of having a selection panel if higher ups can just pick and choose whats suitable.
There was speculation that Demetriou altered the votes in our last game vs Gold Coast in 2014 when Matt Priddis won the Brownlow so that Fyfe wouldn't have the most votes yet be ineligible for the medal. Not that it means much, but 11 others players that day had higher Supercoach scores than Priddis that day yet Priddis got 2 votes (3 went to JK because he kicked 8 goals).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ioppolo

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
There was speculation that Demetriou altered the votes in our last game vs Gold Coast in 2014 when Matt Priddis won the Brownlow so that Fyfe wouldn't have the most votes yet be ineligible for the medal. Not that it means much, but 11 others players that day had higher Supercoach scores than Priddis that day yet Priddis got 2 votes (3 went to JK because he kicked 8 goals).
That'd be hilarious yet sad if true

Jeeves

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2008
In enemy territory.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Perth Wildcats
FULL VOTING: BEST AFL CAPTAIN

1. Shannon Hurn (West Coast Eagles) — 171 votes

2. Patrick Cripps (Carlton) — 128

3. Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) — 82

4. Joel Selwood (Geelong) — 52

5. Trent Cotchin (Richmond) — 50

Ah well that’s a shame.
Bunga absolutely slayed it. Where did the AA captain come in the voting?

Balls In

Premiership Player
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Simpson with a public wtf over Hurn being overlooked for the captaincy. What is the criteria he's asking? Is it being the best player in a basketcase club or being a vitual onfield coach of the best team.

Astro7

Official Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
South Of Dreamsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Like most things within the closeted walls of the AFL, it's an enigma,
a complete mystery unto itself,
an absolute non-transparent Area 51,
the Bermuda Triangle within the House Of The Oval Bouncing Ball!

ep2018

Bigfooty Pessimist
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
That might explain the stupidly long break they took between announcing the round 22 and round 23 votes.

Top Bottom