Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox footy Freo best 22 (they forgot Blakely)

FREMANTLE

B: L.Ryan, A.Pearce, R.Nyhuis

HB: N.Wilson, J.Hamling, E.Langdon

C: A.Brayshaw, N.Fyfe, B.Hill

HF: S.Hill, J.Hogan, R.Lobb

F: H.Ballantyne, B.Cox, C.McCarthy

FOL: A.Sandilands, A.Cerra, M.Walters

I/C: D.Mundy, H.Bennell, B.Banfield, S.Giro

We say: Before the 2017 draft, you wouldn’t have said this was a midfield that could withstand the loss of Lachie Neale. But that haul of Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw - and to a lesser extent Bailey Banfield and Stefan Giro - means Fremantle might be alright. The Dockers are still heavily reliant on the Aaron Sandilands/Nat Fyfe combination, but if they can play for the majority of the season together, and if Harley Bennell can put things together, and if Ross Lyon can integrate Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb into the side... it’s a lot of ifs, but there is promise here.

FREMANTLE

We say: Before the 2017 draft, you wouldn’t have said this was a midfield that could withstand the loss of Lachie Neale. But that haul of Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw - and to a lesser extent Bailey Banfield and Stefan Giro - means Fremantle might be alright. The Dockers are still heavily reliant on the Aaron Sandilands/Nat Fyfe combination, but if they can play for the majority of the season together, and if Harley Bennell can put things together, and if Ross Lyon can integrate Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb into the side... it’s a lot of ifs, but there is promise here.
Forgot Blakely and Conca too plus no mention of Colyer; best 22 for Richmond but can't crack our weakened midfield? Brayshaw on the wing?

Lazy.

I've edited my original post for our post-trade B22. It is tall but strangely enough, that is now our strength. Probably not as quick in the forward half as I would like either.

FB Ryan Hamling Logue

HB Wilson Pearce Duman

C Hill Fyfe Hill

HF Cox Hogan Walters

FF Matera Lobb Cam

R Sandi Conca Blakely

I/C Cerra Brayshaw Langdon Mundy

EMG: Switta, Banfield, Tabs, Colyer

Post Trade Period

FB
- Ryan Hamling Duman
HB - Wilson Pearce Mundy
C - B Hill Langdon S Hill
R - Sandilands Fyfe Blakely
HF - Taberner Hogan Cox
FF - Matera Lobb Walters
IC - Conca Brayshaw Cerra Colyer
Post Trade Period:

Going to re-do based on every player being 100% fit and they all get opportunity to play pre-season games - and are ready to play Round 1.

Mixture of the most experienced and where possible getting as many 1st, 2nd and 3rd year guys in the team...

FB
- Ryan Hamling Cox
HB - Wilson Pearce S Hill
C - B Hill Langdon Bennell
HF - Taberner Hogan McCarthy
FF - Matera Lobb Walters
IC - Conca, Brayshaw, Colyer, Mundy

Emerg:

Cerra, Banfield, Duman, Kersten

I'm expecting not to get more than about 50% of games out of Sandilands, S. Hill, Walters (based on last couple of years run of injuries)

B: Wilson, Pearce, Tucker
HB: Blakely, Hamling, Langdon
C: S.Hill, Fyfe, B.Hill
HF: Walters, Lobb, Bennell
F: Ballantyne, Hogan, McCarthy
FOLL: Sandilands, Mundy, Brayshaw
IC: Cerra, Colyer, Conca, 1st rnd pick

FREMANTLE
HB: N.Wilson, J.Hamling, R. Conca
C: E.Langdon, N.Fyfe, B.Hill
HF: Colyer, J.Hogan, R.Lobb
F: H.Ballantyne, B.Cox, M.Walters
FOL: A.Sandilands, A.Cerra, Blakely
I/C: D.Mundy, A.Brayshaw, B.Banfield,S.Hill

H.Bennell - if fit, is best 22.
Colyer\Ballas - I believe we need two high pressure forwards if we play 3 talls. I would love us to draft Sturt or another good quality forward with Pick 14.
S.Giro
C.McCarthy and Taberner could replace Cox if they have a big preseason. I like Cox as the deep forward with Hogan and Lobb working up the ground.

Weakest links - Nyhuis, Conca, Ballas, Colyer, Banfield
If we draft Clarke, then he comes in for Nyhuis or Conca.
If we draft Sturt, then he comes in Ballas.
Do we need to play a tagger every game? If not Banfield could be pushed out.
Mundy - Is there a role in our foward line for him plus 3 slow talls? Maybe he needs to play more in the midfield with a rest every 3-4 weeks.

FREMANTLE

UGHGHGHG this makes me angry. It takes someone with half a brain to know Giro is clearly not best 22, Brayshaw will never play on the wing in his life and Langdon is not a defender...

FREMANTLE
HB: N.Wilson, J.Hamling, R. Conca
C: E.Langdon, N.Fyfe, B.Hill
HF: Colyer, J.Hogan, R.Lobb
F: H.Ballantyne, B.Cox, M.Walters
FOL: A.Sandilands, A.Cerra, Blakely
I/C: D.Mundy, A.Brayshaw, B.Banfield,S.Hill

H.Bennell - if fit, is best 22.
Colyer\Ballas - I believe we need two high pressure forwards if we play 3 talls. I would love us to draft Sturt or another good quality forward with Pick 14.
S.Giro
C.McCarthy and Taberner could replace Cox if they have a big preseason. I like Cox as the deep forward with Hogan and Lobb working up the ground.

Weakest links - Nyhuis, Conca, Ballas, Colyer, Banfield
If we draft Clarke, then he comes in for Nyhuis or Conca.
If we draft Sturt, then he comes in Ballas.
Do we need to play a tagger every game? If not Banfield could be pushed out.
Mundy - Is there a role in our foward line for him plus 3 slow talls? Maybe he needs to play more in the midfield with a rest every 3-4 weeks.
Nyhuis is an interesting one. He is probably not in our best 6 defenders (Logue and Duman are better IMO) but he is our best defender of smalls, and probably by a long way. On balance, it does make us better.

I have pretty much the same team except with the firepower we have I think we can go Swita over Ballas since his defensive pressure is outstanding and Ballas is cooked

Nyhuis is an interesting one. He is probably not in our best 6 defenders (Logue and Duman are better IMO) but he is our best defender of smalls, and probably by a long way. On balance, it does make us better.

I have pretty much the same team except with the firepower we have I think we can go Swita over Ballas since his defensive pressure is outstanding and Ballas is cooked

I had forgotten all about Logue. If he is fit, he is probably best 22 as well.
Ideally we bring in a new small forward and Switta and Ballas are both not in the best 22.

B: Logue Hamling Tucker
HB: Wilson Pearce Ryan
C: B.Hill Brayshaw S.Hill
R: Sandy Blakely Fyfe
HF: Walters Tabs Langdon
FF: Lobb Hogan Matera

I/C Cerra, Mundy, Conca, Switowski

Post Trade Period:

Going to re-do based on every player being 100% fit and they all get opportunity to play pre-season games - and are ready to play Round 1.

Mixture of the most experienced and where possible getting as many 1st, 2nd and 3rd year guys in the team...

FB
- Ryan Hamling Cox
HB - Wilson Pearce S Hill
C - B Hill Langdon Bennell
HF - Taberner Hogan McCarthy
FF - Matera Lobb Walters
IC - Conca, Brayshaw, Colyer, Mundy

Emerg:

Cerra, Banfield, Duman, Kersten

I'm expecting not to get more than about 50% of games out of Sandilands, S. Hill, Walters (based on last couple of years run of injuries)
Do you want Cerra to leave?

Cerra in for Taberner.

Plus, Kersten will be delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FREMANTLE

Noticed that straight away! Shows how out of touch they are with reality

FB: Luke Ryan, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue

HB: Nathan Wilson, Alex Pearce, Stephen Hill

C: Brad Hill, David Mundy, Ed Langdon

HF: Michael Walters, Jesse Hogan, Cam McCarthy

FF: Brandon Matera/Hayden Ballantyne, Rory Lobb, Travis Colyer

Followers: Aaron Sandilands/Sean Darcy, Nat Fyfe, Connor Blakely

Interchange: Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra, Reece Conca, Darcy Tucker

FB: Luke Ryan, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue

HB: Nathan Wilson, Alex Pearce, Stephen Hill

C: Brad Hill, David Mundy, Ed Langdon

HF: Michael Walters, Jesse Hogan, Cam McCarthy

FF: Brandon Matera/Hayden Ballantyne, Rory Lobb, Travis Colyer

Followers: Aaron Sandilands/Sean Darcy, Nat Fyfe, Connor Blakely

Interchange: Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra, Reece Conca, Darcy Tucker

where's Sutty? lol

Controversial but is this our best ever spine:

Hamling
A.Pearce
Sandilands/Darcy
Hogan
Lobb

Maybe not yet, but the next 3 seasons might change people’s perception.
yeah I reckon although 2006 gives a run for its money we made prelim with this
mcpharlin
Johnson I think
Sandilands
pav
longmuire who was always injured but still good

Nice trade period. My attempt at your best team. The small forwards now your greatest weakness IMO.

FB: Ryan Hamling Wilson
HB: Conca Pearce S. Hill
C: Langdon Blakely B. Hill
HF: Giro/Crowden Hogan Walters
FF: Ballantyne/Matera Cox Lobb

R: Sandi/Darcy Fyfe Cerra

I: Tucker Brayshaw Colyer Mundy

E: Logue Taberner McCarthy Banfield

FB: Ryan Hamling Logue
HB: Duman Pearce Wilson
C: S Hill Mundy B Hill
HF: Walters Hogan McCarthy
FF: Lobb Taberner Matera

R: Darcy Fyfe Cerra

I: Blakely Brayshaw Langdon Conca.

Things I think we need:

- A more proven option than Logue or Duman. Could potentially be Blakely again given we have plenty of insiders capable of stepping into Neale's role. Cox or Kersten a possibility. Must have good skills imo so that rules out Hughes/Nyhuis for me.

- Outside mid with elite skills. We have S Hill. That's it.

- Small or medium forwards that both kick goals and apply AFL standard pressure. We have a few that can kick a goal now but I don't think any on our list are good at both.

- Inside midfielders with skill. We have old Mundy and young Cerra. S Hill can be shoehorned into an inside role if necessary but it is not ideal imo. Like to see Tucker step up in a big way this year as he fits the bill, he dominates wafl regularly, just needs to translate it.

No Cox:
Can't kick for goal and hasn't proven himself a defender so it's hard to include him at this stage, though he can clearly play. I'd expect him to overtake Logue quite quickly should he train as a defender. If he remains a forward, Taberner would want to maintain good form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back