2019 India vs South Africa (3 T20Is, 3 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, Gilchrist was averaging over 60 in his prime. De Kock is no Gilchrist
I think though that Adam was lucky to play in a team which allowed him to come in and punish tired bowlers. QDK as often had to bail his team out. He is still younger than Gilly when he started test cricket.

Yep, Gilchrist was averaging over 60 in his prime. De Kock is no Gilchrist

Gilchrist debuted when he was 28.
2 years older than De Kock is now.
De Kock is averaging 40.5 right now.
It’s absolutely not inconceivable that De Kock’s average can reach Gilchrist’s of 47.
De Kock has played some of the best rearguard knocks of the last decade and has done so with alarming regularity, and in seaming conditions in particular he has shown a knack for making things look easy when everyone else has struggled (a couple of his knocks in Hobart and New Zealand a few years ago were freak efforts). Now that he seemingly has learned to handle spin, I think given his scoring rate (a bit slower than Gilchrist) balanced out by the fact that he’s never going to be padded by as strong a top order has what Gilchrist was, I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that he will be considered alongside him when he finishes. Only time will tell I guess.

Fox showing post match interviews from some 20/20 comp over a live test match God they are useless.

Now see it’s great women have their cricket which personally I’m not interested in, but to cut into coverage of a Test match??

I know I'll probably be told I know nothing for daring to write this however South Africa's bowling still looks pretty inept in these conditions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QDK as often had to bail his team out.
They're batting lineup is looking a bit average right now but De Kock has hardly played with spuds most of his career.

Gilchrist debuted when he was 28.
2 years older than De Kock is now.
De Kock is averaging 40.5 right now.
It’s absolutely not inconceivable that De Kock’s average can reach Gilchrist’s of 47.
De Kock has played some of the best rearguard knocks of the last decade and has done so with alarming regularity, and in seaming conditions in particular he has shown a knack for making things look easy when everyone else has struggled (a couple of his knocks in Hobart and New Zealand a few years ago were freak efforts). Now that he seemingly has learned to handle spin, I think given his scoring rate (a bit slower than Gilchrist) balanced out by the fact that he’s never going to be padded by as strong a top order has what Gilchrist was, I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that he will be considered alongside him when he finishes. Only time will tell I guess.
Agreed their careers don't parallel and maybe De Kock has turned a corner when it comes to playing spin but just don't see his him finishing with a test average in the high 40's. I definitely don't see him getting near Gilchrist's peak. Time will tell though.

Today? Aust v Sri Lanka Womens was on instead of first session of Test.

No other channel Fox sports more was a west indies premier league game that ran over time, the game has been finished for 15 minutes before they switched to the test.

The whole first session was meant to be on that channel and they did show the bulk of it.

They're batting lineup is looking a bit average right now but De Kock has hardly played with spuds most of his career.

Agreed their careers don't parallel and maybe De Kock has turned a corner when it comes to playing spin but just don't see his him finishing with a test average in the high 40's. I definitely don't see him getting near Gilchrist's peak. Time will tell though.

De Kock has played most of his career in a good but not great batting side. Remember in his 4 years as a test regular de villiers was absent for most of it, smith and Kallis have been retired. It’s been a fading amla, Bavuma, Elgar and du plessis. If you take a look at his best innings, almost all of them have come with his side in deep trouble.

That’s not to say Gilchrist never bailed Australia out, but gee he did make a LOT of runs when a top order made up entirely of batsmen averaging 40+ had inflicted plenty of damage

I think though that Adam was lucky to play in a team which allowed him to come in and punish tired bowlers. QDK as often had to bail his team out. He is still younger than Gilly when he started test cricket.

But he also he came in and slogged for the team situation instead of knocking around easy runs to protect his stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back