Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Just trying to understand where we may be at... If we get Papley, Martin and Butler, would there still be enough draft currency to do another meaningful trade... Also, would someone like a Tom Cutler still be on the radar...

Possible scenario, given we don't trade any players -

Papley - 2019 pick #8
Martin - 2020 second
Butler - 2019 3rd or 4th rounder.

One way we could really get back into trading thereafter would be to swap 2020 1st for another clubs 2020 whilst bringing in another 2019 selection -
e.g. Carltons 2020 ~ #6-8 for Richmonds 2020 ~ #14 - #18 plus Richmonds pick around....say the 2019 #15 mark.

Even this looks hard, unless clubs really don't rate this years draft and if they didn't they may not want to give up much for the late 1st rounder.

Papley - 2019 pick #8
Martin - 2020 second

One way we could really get back into trading thereafter would be to swap 2020 1st for another clubs 2020 whilst bringing in another 2019 selection -
e.g. Carltons 2020 ~ #6-8 for Richmonds 2020 ~ #14 - #18 plus Richmonds pick around....say the 2019 #15 mark.

Even this looks hard, unless clubs really don't rate this years draft and if they didn't they may not want to give up much for the late 1st rounder.
Those trade scenarios look pretty reasonable and would be ideal if they happened.
Not so sure about another swap of future first round picks. This year was pretty stressful for a large part of the year even though it turned out okay in the end.

Those trade scenarios look pretty reasonable and would be ideal if they happened.
Not so sure about another swap of future first round picks. This year was pretty stressful for a large part of the year even though it turned out okay in the end.

It may be the only way we get back into a trading position though, if we were to target another key player.

It all looks too tricky to me and on face value, I'd be reluctant to do it, if I was another team....but you never know.

I am absolutely astounded posters(and some in the press) consider we are any chance of getting Martin for a future second. We could conceivably play
finals next year, anyone thinking Gold Coast will risk losing him for a pick in the thirties is kidding themself.

It will be something like future 2nd, and a 2019 pick swap upgrading one of their picks to one of our 3rds.

Worst case scenario would be future first for Martin and their future 2nd, but I think this is unlikely.

I am absolutely astounded posters(and some in the press) consider we are any chance of getting Martin for a future second. We could conceivably play
finals next year, anyone thinking Gold Coast will risk losing him for a pick in the thirties is kidding themself.
Is he contracted?

Papley - 2019 pick #8
Martin - 2020 second

Whilst your idea of trading our future 1st with Richmond is a good idea, I see the return too lopsided in our favour.
If I was any side looking at trading for a clubs future pick, I’d be adding a buffer, if Richmond asses our list as finishing around 12-14, I would be adding a margin of error and basing a trade of us potentially finishing 9th for example. I would do a trade like the one you mentioned, I’m just not sure we get 2 first rounders for it.

I would hope also, that we would get some change from our pick 8 for Papley, even it was upgrading our pick in the late 30s for Sydney’s 2nd, which would also help us with other deals.

With the inclusion of players like Butler , Martin , Papley plus 1-2 more experienced players Carlton will be expected to improve their ladder position and if i was trading with Carlton i would consider you guys as finishing 8/9 meaning your 1st pick would be around pick around the pick 10 range
I personally wouldnt give up 2 picks in the 15-18 range for a pick 10 GC will also be gun shy about taking future picks after being burnt 2 years in a row by Eagles & Lions with future pick trading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The don't have to delist him. Otherwise every out of contract player is effectively a free agent.

Every OOC player should be a free agent. I think its absolutely ridiculous that you have to trade something for a player that doesnt have a contract.

Every OOC player should be a free agent. I think its absolutely ridiculous that you have to trade something for a player that doesnt have a contract.
Would you feel the same way if say Collingwood convinced Cripps not to sign and just walk to the Pies ?

We will have to cough up 8 for paps if Swans allow him to leave. Whilst he is not worth pick 8, you need to pay overs for a contracted player ala Gibbs and also us with Gov. on Martin, his talent is undeniable, but he’s been hugely inconsistent and to the point where he was dropped. I think a future second will eventually get it done with us also hanging over a 3rd round pick in exchange for a 4th back from the suns. On balance that feels about right.

If we can add Papley, Martin, Betts and Bulter or Gray this will give us a very dangerous forward line. It's interesting to note that Papley had his best year and Betts had a poor season but there stats aren't that different. I don't really see Martin as a forward but more of a wing.

Papley- 22 games, 37 goals and 62 tackles
Betts- 21 games, 37 goals and 52 tackles
Gray- 20 games, 20 goals and 70 tackles
Martin- 16 games, 8 goals and 89 tackles
Bulter- 7 games, 5 goals and 27 tackles
Bulter 2017- 23 games, 30 goals and 83 tackles

Here is my best 22 for 2020

B Simpson Jones Plowman
HB Docherty Weitering Newman
C Walsh Cripps Martin
HF Papley Curnow Cuningham
F Betts McKay JSOS
R Kreuzer Murphy Ed
INT Setterfield Fisher SPS Dow
Emg Bulter or Gray, Marchbank, McGovern, O'Brien Or Gibbons

Ruck.

Looks like we could miss out on Darcy Cameron with Melbourne and Collingwood both chasing him but I don't understand why a player would want to play 2nd fiddle to Gawn(27)or Grundy(25). Kreuzer is 30 and injury prone, you'll think he'll get more games with us. If we do miss out on Darcy Cameron who else is out there worth chasing?

Also both Casboult (30) and Phillips (28) have been offered 1 year deals but both want longer deals. Think we should try and include Casboult in the Martin trade. He'll be handy for them being able to play forward or back or ruck.

With us talking to Jacobs (31) who is a free agent and won't cost us anything but I don't see how he fits on our list unless we trade Kreuzer and I'm not sure what we would get for him. Maybe that cats could be interested I don't think they would trade there first round pick but maybe pick 22 (WC) or 24 (Freo) from the Kelly trade.

But they do have contracts until the 31st Oct & have been offered a future contract, which has been decided not to be taken up.
DFA or delisted status if not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back